1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Living Dangerously: The Fuel Light

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by fsu23phd, Apr 13, 2016.

1. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I drive about 125 miles (about 55 miles on a HWY where I go 79MPH, about 50 where I go 65MPH and the rest in small cities usually during high traffic times) twice a week in my 2016 Two Eco. This morning, I left a little lower on fuel than normal, and the system indicated I had 150ish miles before the next fill up.

Once on the big highway, when I got down to around 110 miles according to the gauge, the gauge started decreasing by 2 miles for every mile I traveled. So it would say 110 miles, then after 5 miles it would say 100... It kept this up after I got off the big HWY and onto the 65MPH road. Around 40 miles worth of gas left, it went back to about accurate (1 mile of travel cost me 1 mile worth of gas). The gas light came on with 33 miles of gas left, at which point I had traveled 75 miles. Even assuming that it remained accurate until I got to my destination, I wouldn't have made it, so I stopped mid trip for gas.

Just an FYI: the mileage estimate is pretty inaccurate, and inconsistent.

If anyone is interested (I know this is the wrong forum), on this tank of gas: I drove 441.1 miles and it took 9.46 gallons. The Prius MPG calculator indicated 50.0 MPG, but my math that's 46.6.

#1 fsu23phd, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Coast Cruiser, bisco and pakitt like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, better get AAA.

3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sooooo many threads on this - Yes, it's an estimate, an approximation, a best guess based on many variables that the car's computer(s) has to take into account and will most likely never be an exact measure. My two cents? Don't wait for the flashing light, stop and get gas at two pips and stop worrying about it. :)

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I never really used the gas estimation of the Prius. Too conservative. It goes to zero and gas tank indicator didn't peep yet. What's the use of this?
    I always calculated the range I have left, based on what I actually consumed so far based on the tank (Trip A for me), for the km travelled, and then I factor in the 6% optimistic error from the MFD, and I subtract these consumed liters from the tank capacity (45L).
    What is left, I calculate the range based on a conservative fuel consumption of my choice.
    I made an excel table, which I printed out and keep handy in the glove compartment, to ease this calculation. I can post it again here sometime next week (don't manage before that, sorry).
    I have Mpg and L/Km versions of it.

mmmodem and bisco like this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone gone empty yet on Gen4?
    I assume it's more like Gen3 not Gen2 which ran down HV battery if you tried.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, the gen 2 had mixed experiences reported. i ran out on my '08 with no issues. (other than i had to walk home:cool:)

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Concur.

I think people are confusing accurate with conservative. The DTE is accurate for me. It accurately tells me when I have 2 gallons left in the tank. When DTE hits zero, I'm filling up 8.5 gallons. Thus far, the accuracy is same with my Gen 2 as well.

BTW, 9.4 gallons is nothing. I've filled that much before on my PiP which has a smaller tank. Not that it's a game or anything:D

pakitt, fuzzy1 and bisco like this.
  8. chenderson2

chenderson2 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is about what I always got with my Gen 3. However, you are the first person I've heard report that low a mpg on the Gen 4. I'm getting in the mid 60's average. I'm thinking that your lower mpg is due to the higher speeds your are traveling. I rarely go above 60 mph. I have noticed that anytime I go above 60 the gas mileage gets proportionally lower the faster I go.

#8 chenderson2, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a variety of of technical and production reasons, it cannot be accurate. The needed measuring components must be cheap, and have production variations.

For 'customer expectation management' reasons, it must not be accurate. Most customers are not going to fully understand, let alone accurately compensate for, the many reasons why fuel consumption varies dramatically. Some safety margin ought to be built in.

The car cannot accurately forecast how future conditions will differ from past conditions. For customers who drive in variable conditions -- you have a low-MPG big highway, a better-MPG small highway, and some different-MPG city conditions -- the car simply doesn't know what is coming, so it cannot consistently mark off 1 mile of expected range per 1 mile driven and still hit '0' at the proper time. This can only work for those who drive each mile in identical conditions. Nobody does that off of test tracks

This is what we really need: someone to run the car completely out, to actual fuel starvation, under relatively controlled and consistent conditions, record progress and readings along the way, and report back to us with the details.

Bob Wilson did this for the Gen3. Someone else should do this for Gen4. Or lend a Gen4 to Bob :D
    [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III) | PriusChat

#9 fuzzy1, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    kenoarto and JohnF like this.
  10. DGuy21

DGuy21 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For around $27k - I would be willing to test this out..... :)

11. ucla107

ucla107 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not yet but I did push it to its limit (or as close to it as I'm comfortable with)

Tank 2, I got 580mi and filled up at 10.828gal

Image1460693141.191217.jpg

Image1460693168.832781.jpg

One complaint though is that I think the low fuel warning light is at the worst possible place... From my eye level at my usual seating position, the steering wheel practically COMPLETELY blocks the warning light... I think they could've done a bette job by putting that on the other side of the gauge, or better yet, light up the gauge to red instead

Image1460693284.053815.jpg

tucatz and wjtracy like this.
  12. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have filled mine 8 times. Each time after the DTE was --- I just like to see how far I can go...

13. ucla107

ucla107 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    And of course the 4-5% over calculation from the trip computer vs the pump/actual mpg remains consistent with everyone's observation.

iPhone ?

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recommend it, just trying to see how far we've tested the Gen4 envelope.
    But I'll throw in $1 buck.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither dry, nor to the full claimed tank capacity. You clearly have NOT pushed it to its limit.

But I can accept that being as close to the limit as you are comfortable with. Hopefully, someone of Bob Wilson's persuasion (engineering curiosity, etc.) will go to the actual limit and provide a full report.

16. ucla107

ucla107 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well hindsight I could've probably squeezed about 620-630mi out of the tank but I wasn't gonna stretch it :)

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I'm concerned, if you were not planning and prepared to actually run out, carefully selecting the time and place and conditions for safety and convenience, then you were stretching it. :)

On the modern cars, I haven't done a first-time stretch that close to empty without bringing along a spare can of fuel. Or with a schedule to meet. Or with a passenger as a potential witness.

#17 fuzzy1, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    John.Nowak1 likes this.
  18. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If the DTE reports the distance to x liters available in the tank, in a consistent way, then it is helpful, otherwise it doesn't help much and as I said, I never really use it. So question is, how does it calculated the DTE? based on the last tank fuel consumption, times the distance, and that is what is left in the tank after removing the liters used? Or is it using some other statistics?

Why everybody wants to run a Gen4 completely dry? to what purpose?

Unfortunately I see that the daily summary on the Gen4 does not report the average speed. A fuel consumption value without an average speed, and only a distance, does not tell much...
    I am thinking I will use very few of the screens in the new Gen4 software.

mmmodem, Mendel Leisk and JohnF like this.
  19. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly. One of the reasons I like driving for economy is that it reduces stress (at least the way I do it!). So why manufacture stress worrying about when/if the car will run out of gas, forcing me to extricate a "dead" car from traffic? Especially in a hatchback I'm not keen on cruising around sharing the cabin with a gallon of gas in a plastic jug. "I like it here", to borrow blues pianist Pinetop Perkins' reply when he was asked how he managed to survive and continue performing past 95.

I'm not fond of gas stations, so I'm not going to fill up when the tank is 1/4 full either. With a new car, I keep an eye on how much gas I pumped when I filled the tank versus the gas gauge, DTE, blinking/ beeping refill warning, etc. Compared to the official gas tank capacity listed in the manual. My Gen 3 still had about a gallon left when the DTE was 0, but I usually refilled around that point, depending how close I was to a Shell station (which I prefer for admittedly vague reasons).

My first tank was 700.9 miles with a refill of 10.477 gallons. The gas gauge showed a tiny tad of gas left, and the DTE was around 10 miles. As I recall the manual says the tank holds >11 gallons, so that was a reasonable margin.

#19 JohnF, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  20. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I fuel up, some time after it beeps. When it beeps usually there is about 4-6L at least of fuel, if not more, and I know that unless I am about to do a longer drive, I can drive back and forth from the office (35km total) for a couple of times, before being in the "danger zone".
    There are plenty of tank stations in the city, and I usually fuel up once a month when driving only to work (one tank about 700km or so). The peep is there really just to remind me the month is over, but I never really experiment anything like going dry. I went dry once with my Polo TDI, which I was trusting because of the DTE and things like that - and I found myself stranded in the middle of the night and I was "saved" by a nice couple who drove me to a tank station to get some fuel... I dread that night, it cost me 2 hrs of wasted time and feeling quite stranded in the middle of nowhere...

krmcg likes this.