1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Llumar Air 80 Ceramic Window Tint

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by sa177, Aug 13, 2012.

1. sa177

sa177 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got a quote for about $400 for all 9 windows and am tempted to get the windshield tinted too, but its illegal in Cali. Is that a reasonable price for Llumar Air 80? Can you guys recommend a good tint shop in the Bay Area?

2. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    sounds right. air blue 80 on windshield goes around 150 for socal. but i recommend huper optik 60 for windshield. its tinted charcoal while air blue is light blue.

3. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have air blue on the front they charge 100 for the windshield alone. You really cant tell its even there, I kinda whish I did my whole car with the air blue lol.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does help with the IR into the car. I have had CB80 on he front for 4 years now. It's so clear you can hardly tell it's a tint. Tint the back windows darker, it will not be noticed.
    Just buy a good quality tint. I like Pinnacle, and the CB80 for the windshield. My car is much cooler! I am in LA, and have seen cars so dark, you wonder how they see at night, I worried the first 6 months after getting the tint, now I only think about it when a post like this pops up!

5. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just got the winshield done in air blue 80...really clear with no haze....let's see how much heat it keeps out.

6. Russ D

Russ D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I you don't mind me asking Kevin... How much did you end up finding someone to do it for?

7. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It was $150 with a lifetime warranty. I got it done at Window Tinting Associates in La Habra, CA. Bob was the nicest man and in business for 27 years and the same installer for 25 years.

8. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Definitely let us know how it works out for you. I'm interested.

9. Russ D

Russ D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice! Glad you found someone out there that didn't charge you an arm and a leg. As Lulz said above... definitely let us know how you like it!

10. zeoth

zeoth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the SF Bay Area, I've always used Preferred Images for my past 3 cars. No bubbles and great job. I haven't done the Prius yet though.

11. Run Amok

Run Amok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is anyone else apprehensive about letting a tint guy crawl all over the inside of your brand new car?

12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not at all! A good tint shop will spread a clean drop cloth or other seat and carpet protection inside the car, and do a clean job. At least that's what my tint shop did, and the results are perfect!

13. Run Amok

Run Amok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    KK6PD, thank you for the reassurance!

August in southern California trumped my leeryness of an unknown quantity getting up close and personal with our new car. Yesterday the tinting was done at XLNT Tint in Anaheim. They did a great job and I am very happy with the result. We went with 45% carbon all the way around (minus the windshield).

14. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I wouldnt worry about it at all. Ive worked in many auto accessory shops and Ive seen people bring in some exotic cars. Stuff that normal people just dont see let alone get to sit in.

We all love our PIP's but to them, its just another prius. They wont feel the need to look all over it and call their buddies over to check it out.

15. Run Amok

Run Amok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jim,

Thank you, too. I didn't expect the P to draw any attention, I was worried that the car would have scratches, nicks, scuffs, etc. A buddy had amps and speakers installed in his Toyota truck - afterward the console was scraped up quite a bit. No recourse because he couldn't prove that it wasn't like that before. That was my only frame of reference.

16. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just had my tint done at Auto Image in Belmont this pass weekend. Great guys. I had all 9 windows done with the Air 80. Looks like its not even there, but provides good heat reduction when I was in the south bay. I kinda wished I went with a little dark with the suntek cxp70. But its all good. They charged me $350 cash.

17. sa177

sa177 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for everyones' input. I live in NorCal and will probably go with Rocky Mountain Windowtint in Livermore. It will be pricy, but I heard Matt is very good and worth the price. Its gonna set me back a pretty penny to tint all the windows (including windshield with Llumar Air 80). Any other recommendations or tint shops? The sad fact is my appointment won't be until early October due to his and my busy schedule.