1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Load test results, cell replacement, only 1 bad cell module?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Totallylost, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While some will say anecdotal, I have my experience;).

Also have loaned out the equipment to another member to module replace his battery and has seen very good results :).

Just a couple of examples(y).

Totallylost and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was presented to me as a way to extend the life of an older battery, and I think it works very well in that role. The other use is to recondition a battery that has had a bad cell replaced ("whack-a-mole" as we've started calling it) so that the cells are all balanced. I don't think it won't help equalize internal resistances, but it will equalize the charge levels.

Prodigyplace and Totallylost like this.
  3. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi,tried including you in this message but was not able to, see below:
    Hello : I tried including you in the conversation but the system would not allow me to, see below:

Hello! just a quick update to let you know the Prolong charger and discharger have arrived. Will be taking pictures and/or videos and keep you all posted.

Jeff, I will more than likely call your office sometime tomorrow before proceeding.

Bisco,JC91006,Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace, thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Will keep you all informed as well as I continue with process.

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi,I will keep everyone posted with my personal experience. I just received the prolong system today :)

kenoarto and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just add $500 or so and you're good to go. A grid charger can be a good investment for those with Prii that have time on their side. My Prius had too many miles to consider this grid charger. If I get another hybrid some day I might buy one.

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alas, we do not know (and probably never will) if the $700 Prolong systems do anything to delay the inevitable death of a battery pack without independent, double-blind testing on hundreds/thousands of cars. A few priuschatters have bought them when their batteries showed signs of age, but their batteries still failed. Then they did a couple whack-a-mole cell repairs, but ultimately they ended up buying a full, new pack (or dumping their cars). I really like the theory and was thinking about buying one, but opted out as there is no guarantee for any extended battery life.

#46 kenoarto, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2k1toaster is the vendor of his out-of-stock $1600 kit. He has a promising design that has been recently installed by a few dozen leading-edge cars for last 2-5 months (longest being his own car). No deposit is required. Delivery is included! He includes his personal 2-year warranty. Alas, all the components are new and quite different from the genuine Toyota, so we have no history of how long it might last. It was a better deal last year when Toyota's battery was priced at $2300.

There are least two Toyota dealers that sell the genuine Toyota battery to anyone for $1625. Several more sell it at $1650. And most local dealers will sell it at the full MSRP of $1950. Note: Toyota also demands a whopping $1350 fully refundable deposit (that ensures recycling).Toyota also includes their 1-year warranty if DIY, 3 years if they install, but we know they last 10 years or more!

8. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I can stomach a 2k battery pack especially if it last 8-10 years. Shoot I pay $350 a month on gas at the moment on my regular car.

9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You got some names for your claims? Did those names follow the instructions:whistle:?

I’ve seen you with an axe to grind on this topic now for several threads spanning many months.

There is data here (as well as with the Honda Insight community) that shows the Prolong setup works. I know my battery performance has improved and if asked, I’m sure many other members would agree and back it up;).

Some questions:

• You ever own a small business?
    • Have you ever worked with a small business?
    • Do you know what the cost of double blind experiments is?
    • Do you think as a small business owner that is in the business model?
    • Do you understand what preventative maintenance is and what it is done for?
    While providing a different perspective, sharing actual data is important. I share my perspective on the topic as I feel it is important to the community and @jeff652 . I bought his equipment and I see the value and benefits.

If my pack failed tomorrow, I would get some modules and swap em out then use the Prolong setup to keep our Prius running. But based on battery performance and performing regular battery maintenance, that won’t happen;).

I loaned a member the setup (@110bhp ) who had a failed pack and now it’s running better than it has in his ownership. And I don’t feel that’s a one off experience:).

I look forward to your response with data(y).

Dxta, jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @jerrymildred had some good experiences too before he bought his pip. He had the early design unit.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought it was quite beneficial, especially when I had two Gen 2s.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The more cars on the Prolong equipment, the more cost effective the solution ;).

I share with another member out here :).

Works well for us(y).

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL! jerrymildred is the guy who fried/destroyed/ruined his battery using the Prolong system!!!

#53 kenoarto, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not mine! :eek:
    I think you mean the Prolong system. But that was only one time. He was smart enough to learn from his mistake.

15. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So sorry. Post above corrected.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You probably need to work on your logic skills. Indeed I did damage the battery. But it was not the fault of the Prolong system. If you use a tool the wrong way and get bad results, it's not the tool's fault. Blaming the tool is like the pro baseball player who drops a routine fly ball and then stands there frowning at his mitt. And, It was one cell, not the whole battery.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, I guess I remembered the story wrong.
    I take the blame on that one. (See post 27) :( :oops:

18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went back & re-read #27. You didn't blame the charger, so I don't see why someone else would do so unless they made a prejudiced assumption. But thanks for offering to take the blame.

Totallylost likes this.
  19. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No one should be blaming anyone. Bad things happen to people with the very best of intentions. We simply need to remind the lurkers of the Engineer PIP Company demise, not too long ago: great idea, worked for a while, but failed after a couple of years.

Jerry made a simple mistake that anyone can make. We should encourage everyone to read the Prolong instructions to see that they still do not warn about possible catastrophic failure (three-quarters of the way through the very dense instructions they only "recommend" 30 minutes of cooling that Jerry did not do). Prolong Grid Charger User Guide – Hybrid Automotive The point is that I sure hope that Prolong did not know about this due to their system having limited lifetime and testing. That's the risk people take when they use the latest technology (Prolong) and use it on fairly new (Prius) technology.

Further, a baseball mitt is a poor metaphor for the complicated Prius battery, computers and charging systems.
    Prolong usage DID cause damage to Jerry's battery. Jerry wisely decided not to play whack-a-mole and purchased a full pack, because he said he didn't trust his family driving a car that would be likely to brake down again and again. And, for multiple reasons, he said he stopped using it on his current batteries.

The OP has about $800 invested and is likely to need to spend another $1600 next year, when he gets tired of doing multiple whack-a-mole repairs. Wasting $800, breaking down on the road, and repeating repairs is not fun for must car drivers. I think the geeks here gave the OP some seriously unfortunate advice.

20. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Seriously?? Can you now purchase a New Toyota HV Battery for around $1600. at the Dealership?