1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Load test results, cell replacement, only 1 bad cell module?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Totallylost, Feb 18, 2018.

1. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes. No. Maybe so. As of right now, that price is sort of a unicorn; often heard and spoke of but rarely seen.

YMMV.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Totally I'm glad I saw the other identical post in the newbie forum and didn't have to wade through this one first.
    Even though I think double posting is an opa faux pas in most forums these days
    I made a few suggestions in newbie section thread
    Load test results are in.. | PriusChat

I just realized you're not charging individual modules, only discharging them.
    As I was going to ask what kind of charger you were using on the modules.

#63 vvillovv, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I second that. This member seems to be able to leap to extraordinary conclusion based on not much. Then he is worse than a dog with a bone.
    I do not believe that the outcome was because of the failure to follow this recommendation. I believe the battery failed just because a module, that was on the edge anyway, went south. Is there a relationship to using the Prolong system? More than likely. But, I believe the module would have failed anyway, after all the HV battery was exhibiting signs already which prompted the acquisition and use of the Prolong system. The positive of all this, is the failure happened in control conditions and so no stranding while in the most inconvenient time/place occurred. The battery was replaced in accordance with the pre-planned course of action (Plan-A).

I am getting a little tired of this single event being dramatised by just a couple of members ad nauseam, as must the member concerned.
    If you knew anything about Hybrid Automotives, you would know they have a wealth of experience with hybrid batteries and have had many system in use long before the (relatively new) Prolong system for the Prius. This poster really needs to get a life. I don't know why he has such a chip on his shoulder, but it is tiresome.
    As above, that is debatable, for the reasons already explained. And if it was so, so what? It was inevitable that it would have happened eventually in service anyway.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So there you have it. dolj says that the Prolong system doesn't do much, if anything, to "prolong" the life a battery with an iffy cell. Best plan (aka Plan A) is to buy an all-new battery pack and skip the $800 Prolong + used cell wack-a-mole "fun".

So dolj please do share with us your data using your Prolong system.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's going to take time to learn what is going on with the pack and the modules.
    Pack balancing has been shown in several communities to be 3 or 4 times more successful
    than module based refurbishing.
    But, it's not always successful,
    as it can't fix everything that can go wrong with a set of modules.

Don't let the naysayer(s) who promote the dealers "we sell cars" $ attitude deter you from learning
    how to maintain your vehicle.
    Vehicle maintenance has been done by us backyard mechanics for as long as cars have been made.
    It is possible to learn the hybrid system operation and maintenance.
    Further, matching your results with others that have done it before flattens the learning curve considerably.

Predicting HV health by delta V and discharge curve | PriusChat
    really advance theory that one guy Predicting HV health by delta V and discharge curve | PriusChat
    is trying to help another understand.
    There's always more to learn if you want to know.

Totallylost, kenoarto and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    opps wrong thread

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So there you have it. kenoarto displays his incredible powers of deduction to yet again come up with a farcical conclusion.
    At least on this, I am in agreement that the best plan is to buy an all new battery pack (although, in this case, this wasn't Plan A), however personal circumstances may dictate an alternate plan from the best option. It doesn't follow that using the Prolong system is a waste of money and time. In addition, if conditioning is started sooner rather than when problems are imminent, there is no need to whack-a- mole.

You are free to believe whatever you want in regards to battery conditioning, but that does not give you the right to be so rude and obnoxious to the users of the system.

I do not believe you have any double-blind testing to back your viewpoint, but if you do, we are all ears.

Totallylost and jerrymildred like this.
  9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) You previously stated that conditioning doesn't work with a failing cell.
    2) You just added "if conditioning is started sooner rather than when problems are imminent, there is no need to whack-a- mole."
    So when EXACTLY do you think conditioning should begin? With the purchase of a new car? 5 years? 10? And how much longer are you sure that will batteries last using charging systems vs using no charging?

We all know that all Prius batteries will eventually die, but no one knows when. Cars in the heat of the south seem to have shorter lives. Charging systems sounded good in theory, but their efficacy appears to be minimal. Thus, all consumers should be warned about spending $700 on these snazzy looking devices, when full new pack replacement almost always follows. That is bad news for some, but it not an insult. I suppose you think that adding personal insults is OK, because this is the internet where being a know-it-all and crude hyperbole outranks common sense and civil discourse.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I welcome common sense and civil discourse.

Rants, not so much.

Totallylost and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    copy and paste:

Hello all:

Just to give you an update of what has been going on and what has been done and what I suggest as of now. In a nutshell:

1. When HV battery was removed it was noticed that there was a lot of corrosion on copper terminals and screws. These were all cleaned out and made shiny like pennies with a wire brush. Dielectric grease was applied after cleaning copper terminals.

2. Load tests were performed on each cell module with a 55w 12v bulb. Tests (yes more than 1) confirmed that cell module #10 (from block 5) needed replacement, which also confirmed what Toyota Dealership indicated in their diagnostics report. Capacity tests were done by selecting 2 modules (1 block) that were similar in voltage and that were confirmed as a “good block” by discharging to 6V and documenting how much time it took. Then same capacity test was done with block 6 (cells 11 and 12) which as per dealership was also showing as “weak”. It was suggested by Prolong Hybrid customer service that since cell #12 did in fact discharge faster than the other 3 cells, that cell should be replaced (therefore confirming Toyota Dealership stating block 6 was “weak”).

3. The battery fan battery was also removed and cleaned out with an air compressor. Contrary to the terminals and screws, the fan had little to no dirt on it, but to be on the safe side, it was cleaned out.

4. The 12V has been disconnected.

5. Cell module #10 (part of block 5) and Cell module #12 (part of block 6) have been replaced.

6. The Prolong Deluxe Reconditioning package has been received (box still unopened). It was my Valentine’s day gift

7. Patience is part of the process (I believe). Rushing into doing this process can consequently cost a lot of money and time. If a person wants to quickly observe and document cell modules voltage and other tests, quickly exchange cell modules-especially if process entails exchanging modules, quickly recondition HV battery or do anything quickly during this process, I personally think that the likelihood of something going wrong is very likely. Also, especially if you have not done it before. That is my personal opinion. For a person who has done it before, it may be quite successful, but still you must be patient. I personally will be ecstatic if I get 1 year out of the battery

8. Ask questions. Make phone calls, google, watch videos. They are a lot of knowledgeable people in this forum who genuinely want to help. As of now, Hybrid Automotive Customer Service has promptly answered all my questions and concerns. Of course, once the charging and discharging process starts, there will be more questions and calls, but as of now, I am very happy with their customer service and responsiveness.
      **there are some pictures and/or videos that once process is completed it will be uploaded for any other Prius chat member that may consider this information useful**I do want to mention that this is my personal experience and that I have never done this before**

https://hybridautomotive.com/collections/store/products/pdr?variant=40980027791

Any suggestions? Are we ready to open up the Prolong Deluxe Reconditioning package and start the discharge / charge process? Am I missing something? Have something been done incorrectly? :(

Is there a certain order that once we put back battery pack in car should be done? (12V battery 1st, HV battery 2nd, or viceversa?)

Special thanks to: Jeff652, JC91006, bisco, Tampaprius, Raytheeagle, jerrymildred, Prodigyplace, William Redoubt, ericbecky,hill

vvillovv and jerrymildred like this.
  12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So dolj,
    1) When EXACTLY do you think battery conditioning should begin? With the purchase of a new car? 4 years? 8 years?
    2) How much longer do you predict batteries will last if using charging systems?

13. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you reassembled the pack yet? If not, be sure to apply the recommended torque on the 56 nuts that fasten the bus bars to the modules.

Be conservative when using the Prolong system initially. Don't go to the lowest voltage level during the first discharge cycle. You might kill more modules that way due to voltage reversal of the weakest of the six cells in a module.

#73 jadziasman, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Totallylost likes this.
  14. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Aren't you aware that horse you've been relentlessly beating is already dead? Time for you to move on.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Waiting for answers. Data. Facts.

Totallylost likes this.
  16. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you :)

17. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good morning: Nothing yet. Will keep everyone posted. Thank you.

vvillovv likes this.
  18. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi :) I hope to start today. Not buying a car yet :(. I will be ecstatic if battery lasts 1 year after using charging systems. Let's see. I will keep everyone posted. Thank you:)

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Totallylost

Totallylost Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much. :) will keep saved just in case I need. I am not a fan of the $1350 core charge is says :( is required though:( But it is useful info just in case it is needed.

20. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya that sure is a lot of money, but I think it is intended to insure a return for proper recycling. Good thing that it is fully refunded by Toyota.
    Here's a second dealer at $1625:
    Battery - Toyota (G9510-47031) | Boch Toyota South