1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Load testing Battery Modules

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by iskoos, Oct 3, 2020.

1. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would like to loadtest my battery modules. My car is 10 years old and it is getting close to 180k on the odometer.

I am expecting to get that infamous hybrid code any time soon

I have checked the individual module voltages a few times on a friend's Prius before and I know you wont get a good idea of which module is going bad unless you have an adequate load tester.
    Standing voltages can be misleading.

What can I use?
    I would like to load each individual module at around 5Amp load ideally. Of course it could be more/less.
    Can you guys recommend something practical?

I already have Dr. prius and Torque app and I can monitor block voltages. I would like to check each individual cell modules under load.

I have seen once a guy was using a transformer to load the individual modules. I just don't know the specs of the transformer.

A 6/12volt battery load tester will be loading them way too much I believe.

So if I can get an idea, I would be happy...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dr. prius, from what i have read

3. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used it. It is useless. Torque Pro is much better but still not going to do what I want.
    None of these apps monitor individual cell modules because wiring is done per cell blocks. They give you block voltages only.
    We were able to use the Torque Pro app to determine what block is defective on a friend's car but it was a lot of work. We had to take the car on a road and push the battery module, record the screen etc. Then you still determine which one of the modules on that specific block is weak.

Load testing individual cell modules will give you a clear picture with no doubt.

If someone with basic electricity/electronic knowledge could hopefully see this and give me some idea, I will use it. If I can't find what I am looking here, I may post the question on a Electronics forum.

Let's see...

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)