1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loading JPEGs for Custom Start up images

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by bfd, Apr 29, 2012.

1. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am now use the Display OFF Image when I turn off the display!
    Too bad you only have 3 choices max.

2. n5160u

n5160u Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I use a Mac for most everything I do and Photo chop for custom images. I never had a problem making the start/stop screens on the Mac.
    My shut down screen is a screen shot of the Win XP version of the BSOD.

3. Pablo_Cruise

Pablo_Cruise New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2012 Prius (model 4) with Entune. I originally had trouble loading the jpg images. What ended up working for me was resizing the photos. The camera I use to take every day photos saves them in high resolution. Once I changed to a lower resolution they seemed to load fine. Start up photo doesn't show for very long but screen off is nice. Too bad you can only load three and they don't auto rotate.

4. janusnetworks

janusnetworks New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What worked for us was the following:
    800 x 480 24 bit color (24 bit color was VERY important. I did it in 16 and 32 and it did not ready) not sure why
    Folder Names

StartupImage
    DisplayOffImage

I also named the files StartupImage.JPG and DisplayOffImage.JPG

It was not easy took me like 15 times

Clay2013 likes this.
  5. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    OK, now I think I understand. And if so, it's really stupid.

The only way the screen off image can come up is if you press SETUP, then DISPLAY, then SCREEN OFF.

If you have done this, and you go to the Audio screen, then after 20 seconds it will return to the screen off image instead of the Map screen (assuming AUTO OFF has not been disabled). But as soon as you go to the Map screen, that supersedes SCREEN OFF. Thereafter, Audio will return to the Map. You have to go back into SETUP to turn on the screen off image again.

If you've selected any other screen display than Audio, it will just sit there. And some of them don't have a Back button, so again you will have to do SETUP, DISPLAY, SCREEN OFF to get your screen off image.

If there's anything I've missed that would make this more sensible, someone please say so. But as it is, it's dumb.

6. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Exactly how you want the SCREEN OFF to work, so it is NOT dump??

7. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Good question. When the Map is already being displayed, I'd like the MAP button to switch the screen off (or switch to the Screen Off image if one has been loaded). The logic is that the MAP button could reasonably be a toggle - Map off/on. Since MAP already turns the screen on when it has been turned off, this would give it the logical inverse function as well, and would provide a way to turn the screen off without going into the Setup menu.

I'd also like the Screen Off image to display for a few seconds while the Prius is shutting down.

I wonder why Auto Off applies to the Audio screen, but apparently not to any others. Shouldn't it apply to all the audio screens equally?

8. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think the MAP button can not be toggled on/off because the transition between screens requires the activation by pressing any other button, so if you press the button (in this case the MAP one) that summons that screen AGAIN, it shouldn't do anything. I am not sure if all the button is toggle on/off is practical though.

I agree that the Screen Off should be displayed before shutting down, better yet the timer can be set for both start up and shutoff with sensible limited maximum.

9. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Yes, that's the way it works with all the other buttons. But that's no reason that MAP shouldn't be a toggle.

If the argument is that all the other buttons bring that screen up, then I would respond that the MAP button has a unique additional effect, which is to turn the screen on (permanently) if it had been set to Screen Off mode. So in effect the MAP button would toggle the default screen dispolay between the Screen Off image (or blank) and the Map display.

The simple explanation for the User's Guide would be "The MAP button brings up the Map display. If the Map display is already showing, the MAP button turns the screen off. To display the Map again, press the MAP button once more."

10. Clay2013

Clay2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the pointer. Finding the required folder names was not well documented. The display off image seems somewhat pointless, but it was interesting to figure out!

11. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Hit Setup, Display, Screen off and then it will show the display off image. But only until the next time you use the map.

12. Clay2013

Clay2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks! Lots of work to see a picture of my dog! LOL:)

lensovet likes this.
  13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't believe jpeg has a bit depth, but you can save as RGB or CYMK.

[UPDATE] I looked it up. There are different bit depths of jpeg. Odd, but there you have it.

14. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can someone Answer if this feature works on PIP Base (as well as Advance)? I have a 2013 if it makes a difference. ANd how many seconds does your custom picture show on the screen?
    Thanks

15. Purrius

Purrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Gosh I wish they didn't make this so difficult. The 2017 I'm trying to do this with just don't take the USB stick. :/

mach-e likes this.