1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loading Prius 3 onto UHaul Auto Transport

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Brad Aisa, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Brad Aisa

Brad Aisa New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I want to tow my Prius 3rd Gen on a U Haul Auto Transport trailer. I had previously rented one of those to tow my Tesla (at the time) but the skirts were way too low-profile, so I abandoned that. I'm wondering if anyone has ever towed a Prius 3rd Gen on a U Haul Transport (not the dolly, the full transport) and if they had any problems loading. There are videos showing various hacks with 2x12s, inclined roadways, etc., but I'm hoping it Just Works out of the box. Thanks for any tips!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dolly works and is much easier

Brad Aisa likes this.
  3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tow dolly is more dangerous with sway. Also a 2015 Prius is within 350 lbs of the max weight that a U-Haul tow dolly can handle. Especially if you are going to cram the car full of stuff for the move, you will hit the max pretty quick. Not sure why JC91006 thinks easier, that's not been my impression. The biggest advantage of the tow dolly is that its cheaper.

Brad Aisa likes this.
  4. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I haven't towed the Prius, but I've towed a number of cars with it and can all but guarantee you won't be able to just park the trailer on flat ground and drive a Prius onto it without the chin scraping (maybe even the middle of the underside too, but for sure the chin will scrape). You can easily get around this with the various "hacks" you mentioned.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The chin will scrape but it's on metal so it doesn't scrape very much it doesn't even bend it or flex it really it literally scrapes the bottom of the material I've got way more scrapes on the bottom of the material from the road and what have you then I'll ever get from the U-Haul tow trailer I put it up on the trailer smartly I don't try to go up it a half a mile an hour and cringe at every scrape I get in the Prius and roll it right up the ramps rather smartly so the car is kind of lifting up as it's going up the trailer ramps it does really work I tried to explain this to somebody loading a motorcycle one time and well it was rather funny but it worked really well Prius will go right up on there and it'll be pretty uneventful and when you look under the car you'll see a lot more scrapes on your plastics that have been there a lot longer than what you just did Good luck