1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Local Fox station reports Hybrids aren't worth it

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by morpheusx, Apr 30, 2008.

1. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder how long it takes to reach the breakeven point when one purchases an Escalade instead of a Suburban. Or an H2 instead of a Tahoe? Quite a premium.

2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not sure I buy that. To use your example, a 16mpg Tahoe has an EPA estimated annual fuel cost of $3291 per year. The Prius is $1143, so you would be in the black after just over two years based on gas savings alone.

Consumer Reports estimates the 5 year cost of ownership of the Tahoe to be $57,000. The Prius is coincidentally exactly half that at $28,500. So in terms of overall costs, the Prius will save you an average of $5700 per year. Even looking at the incremental cost of the 4th and 5th year the Prius will save you $4000 per year. In the 6-8th year you save $6417 per year! And this doesn't even take into account the apparent acceleration of depreciation we're starting to see for large SUVs. I'd say thats a pretty good incentive to not wait around.

Rob