1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locating Battery Blower relay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by harryarcos, Jun 18, 2021.

1. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I am reading it correctly, you do need an "Intelligent Tester" which of course, I do not possess. My best option seems to be a more recent version of Techstream or one of the apps as mentioned. The Toyota website is dreadful, but I will persevere another day.

2. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I have an older version of Techstream and will try to update it.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever version you have should be fine for a Gen 2. What version is your Techstream just so we know, and what makes you think you need another version?

#23 dolj, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    davecook89t likes this.
  4. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been using version 7.00.020 but my attempts to update it resulted in a Trojan infection - see 'Download location for techstream'. What I need is something that will operate the HV battery blower fan. The weather has turned cooler again here in the UK and although the fan runs when voltage is applied, I am thinking that it may not be running when called for by the battery CPU. I can only recall it running at high speed once in the past few years and if it has run at a lower speed, I could not hear it.

5. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you hear the fan running at all, that usually means trouble. It is one of the most common signs of imminent battery failure. That said, I did hear the fan running in our Gen 2 on one occasion almost 4 years ago now after we had climbed a steep mountain (story here). Per Torque Pro, the battery temperature measured by the middle sensor was 58.4 C.:eek: That is the one and only time I have heard the fan running. Fortunately, I guess I can conclude that that one incident didn't cause permanent damage, since it's 4 years later and the car is still running fine without having to do anything to the original battery.

donbright likes this.
  6. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's good news, but I started the Thread because of the warning lights which seemed to point to the battery cooling "so I dug out the OBD11 and Techstream which I had not used for a couple of years and found the following current DTCs: P3000, P0A84, B1421, C2310 and C2318 There were historic DTCs: B1200, B1269 and B1271."
    All good at the moment.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the plug that is up above the fan for signs of corrosion. It is a common problem if you have a leak coming in from the roof seam.

8. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that was what I was hoping for following the tyre well being full of water a few months back. Not the cause in this case as all connections were good and rust free. I see on another HD that I have techstream v.10.10.018 but do any of the versions have a test for the battery fan?

9. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Torque Pro can tell you at what speed the fan is running (from Level 0 to 6), but doesn't allow you to control the speed, unless you do the tweak specified in the signature of member @SFO

SFO likes this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, they all (that support Gen 2 Prius) should do. In your version when you connect to the vehicle. if you can select 2004 Prius, then it supports your Prius. Look in the active tests section for the HV (hybrid vehicle) Battery ECU, you should see a test to turn the cooling fan on to any of the speed settings.

11. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Dave. Just had a look at Torque Pro and it seems that you do need an Android device which I do not have, although I have an old Windows based laptop for Techstream. I am getting a bluetooth OBD connector, so will be able to use apps like Dr Prius and perhaps there are others.

12. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd as I do not seem to have that option. Could it be that you have to have a fully paid subscription to Techstream to get the add ons?

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you bring up the screen for HV battery live, on the left side there should be several 'buttons' to select from. There isn't one that's labeled as active tests?

14. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Following the posts on here, I have had another go at Techstream and feel a bit of an idiot as there is a test for the battery blower, which as it turns out is working properly. Any fault, apart from my own, is due to the left click button on my old Windows based laptop which clearly is not working properly. As I said, it is a long time since I used the laptop along with the software and I must get out of the habit of always assuming that the technology isn't working! Still do not know why I had the red triangle and other warning lights, but I will put it back together and hope for the best. Thanks to all for your input.

davecook89t likes this.
  15. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem since I first posted, but hot today and after I had been driving the car for about 10 minutes, up came the warning lights: VSC, Brake system and Master warning lights. The car had been in direct sun for about 4 hours before driving it. A little later I was able to park the car and plug in the Techstream and straight away it came up with P0A84 Hybrid cooling fan control circuit low. A health check then came up with the DTC P3000 Current and P0A84, B1200, B1269 and B1271 in history.

I checked the fan speeds and they all were OK, although re-reading the above reply, I wish I had taken more notice of the voltage at fan, because they did drop as the speed increased and at the highest setting, I believe it was about 4 volts? The temperatures at the battery were 39.2, 41 and 38.7° C. All cells were showing much the same voltage around 14.5 volts?

Having been all through HB-45 and finding nothing wrong, I would welcome any thoughts as to what the problem might be.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, as uncommon as it is for an ECU to flake out, I suppose you do probably find that as the final conclusion in the diagnostic steps, if it insists on telling you that a voltage is out of spec and you have completed all the related tests with a meter you trust and you're sure the voltage in question is ok.

17. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    FYI, I believe the Intelligent Tester was the handheld scantool Toyota had before they got the pc based Techstream.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I am thinking that swapping out the parts might be a route to fixing the problem - it gave me a good result on a Miele washing machine! Perhaps start with that blower motor controller which is easier to access and although the connections to it checked out OK. There does not appear to be any test for the actual unit, apart from the fan operating properly. The ECU would be the next step.