1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locating spare tire compartment foam floor parts

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by pianewman, Mar 11, 2020.

1. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After many hours of email searching, I've found a source for used styrofoam "floor" sections to retrofit the spare tire into non-spare tire equipped Prii.

car-part.com. This website lists dozens of automotive used parts sources across the country. I've been in touch with one, in Houston, and they're holding the 3 pieces for me. He's asking $75 for all 3 pieces, including the hold-down bolt. (I sourced the spare tire/wheel locally)

Nobody seems to inventory these parts, but as salvage yards are recovering Prii, they will sometimes have these foam pieces still in the vehicles, ready to be thrown away. They're totally unaware of their value. Since they don't have them listed in their inventory, you've got to talk your way through/around your initial contact, and hope they're interested in working with you.

Hope this is helpful to those wanting to add a spare to their Prius.

ice9, pjksr02 and krmcg like this.
  2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for researching this. Why Toyota condemned its owners to a sludge kit, is beyond me. My top complaint. Toyota sucks for this. They gave in to pressures.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a thread early on where somebody actually bought parts from a dealer ans listed the part numbers & prices.
    I took the cheap way out and bought a Trim Two with the spare included. :D

4. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I looked at OEM prices, discounted online by various Toyota dealers. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but IIRC, all 3 sections were around $400. $75 is a bit better, no???

I phoned at least 6 salvage yards in the DFW region. LKQ, a nationwide distributor of used parts, tried their best, found a spare for me ($60), but the 3 sections they tried to sell me were from a 2014 Prius V, even though I kept telling them they wouldn't fit.

car-part.com : I actually searched for Gen 4 Rear hatch lid replacement, knowing that if they had them, intact, they would have the trunk floor as well. The first company I phoned, Almeda in Houston, was willing to walk out, crawl into the car (the hatch wouldn't open!), and pull out the 3 parts.

I'll pick them up next week, hope the fitment is correct.

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Well done. I got mine as part of the deal when I bought it new.
    Dealer swapped out the gunge and foam parts for a skinny spare and foam parts.
    Just behind the back seat there are two square hold down bits that are a little taller on the spare wheel foam, although they don't do much it might be worth checking if the breaker will throw these in for free. Also the floor cover panel is very slightly different if you want perfection.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, kithmo, for the heads up regarding fitment. I think I've read all of the posts regarding the swap, and am aware of the minor discrepancies. It will be nice not to have to hack up the OEM 2-piece foam, and never even have the convenience of the circular center piece.
    It's truly insane how many man-hours, collectively, that have gone into this. Weight savings? Seriously? < 30 lbs? And the jack is still included? The design/manufacturing cost of multiple foam parts????

I can't believe the bean-counters won this one. It...makes...no...sense...

jerrymildred and kithmo like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If potential customers stop buying the models without a spare, they'll change their tune, very fast.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Much like I refuse to buy a Toyota or Lexus with the big black gaping grille?
    I somehow think they are not getting the message looking at their planned vehicles.

krmcg and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope. No corporate decisions are made "very fast." Ask VAG, GM, Ford...

Also, it's hard to "stop buying..." when you're buying used, ...as I do.

Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    One thing that annoys me about the OEM spare wheel kit is that the wheel is sat in the well face down so you have to take it out to check the tyre pressure. It's not as if the space is used by the jack or anything, that sits in its own cutout in the foam and the space on top of the wheel (the back of the wheel) is just filled with more foam. They could have made a longer hold down bolt and removed the excess foam so we can check the pressure easier. :(

pjksr02 and pianewman like this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Considering they removed the cargo cover & mounting hardware on our 2 Eco when they added safety features, likely due to weight, the additional weight & cost of a longer bolt could have been a consideration? o_Oo_O

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've always seen spares thus, with the valve pointing down. FWIW, our third gen has a tool kit that does nestle into the back side of the spare.

Maybe I need to reword that... :oops:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Hang on, I'd better empty all the loose change out of my pockets and the tray in the centre console, so as I can get more mpg. :LOL:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I was thinking of getting an extension (maybe I need to reword that :LOL:), for the valve stem that is, like the ones twin wheel vans and small trucks have, poking through the wheel. Removing it when the spare is in use.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    It may take a model segment (four to eight years) or so among many cars for enough people to experience having an unfixable flat with no spare (perhaps with enough people to die from being caught out) for the preference to change.

Mendel Leisk and pianewman like this.
  16. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm just not sure this trend will change. It's clearly cost cutting, somewhat space saving, NOT weight saving. I guess the vast majority of flat tires are from unattentive drivers with slow leaks, ignoring the idiot light, for which the tire sealant actually works just fine (I tested it with our 2015 LeafS, which had picked up a nail. The Continental sealant functioned exactly as designed, tire was repairable, TPMS wasn't damaged)

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It is hard to reverse a trend when there's too much complacency. I can think of other features cars used to have, that "fell by the wayside" over the years. Arguably some of them were made redundant by other improvements, but not all.

People forget, and there's not enough dialogue with the manfufacturers, maybe by design.

kithmo likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am pretty sure those people would not make that mistake again. o_O:oops:

kithmo and Mambo Dave like this.
  19. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ugh....the original order came in, for a 2015 Prius V. NOPE: Wrong foam, wrong spare tire...the hub opening on the V spare is bigger than the regular Prius.
    FOUND 3 section foam in Houston, road trip, nice drive, adequate fit. As others have stated, there are gaps around the outer edges, but no big deal.
    Sourced a proper used spare wheel/tire.
    3-section foam: $70
    Used spare (yes, I overpaid, but ran out of patience) $100.
    What...a...pain...in...the...nice person...

So...anyone want the OEM 2-piece foam and pump/sealant from my 2018 Touring????

ice9 and pjksr02 like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL you found one of the forum’s naughty words.

krmcg likes this.