1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

location of charging port

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mainerinexile, Sep 14, 2012.

1. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yikes, I just learned that the charging port is in the right rear, compared to the Prototype with the port in the left front. Seems to me that about 50% of the time, the driver will get in the car and drive off with the car still plugged in because they won't see the cable when getting in. Or at best, you will get in the car, and then have to get out again to unplug it. What am I missing?

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope, you can't just drive off with it plugged in

John Hatchett likes this.
  3. Mark Y

Mark Y Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The car will tell you if your cable is still plugged in (or if the charge port door is left open) and will NOT drive away... as to getting out of the car again, think of it as an opportunity to get some exercise in :)

4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever driven off from the gas station with the nozzle still in your car? :)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are correct. about half the time, i get in and fire her up, only to find out i'm still plugged in. fortunately, she won't go anywhere and i have to get out and unplug. not a big deal, but a lot of us would have prefered front right charge port.

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    we should patent an "eject" for the plug that also closes the plug cover, a double tap on the brake maybe. :)

Rebound likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or maybe for the driver. ' eject reject'.:p

8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I look at the vehicle's plug-in immobilization feature as a great DWI prevention feature. :)

Still waiting for some mischievous kids to figure out they can put a paper clip in the socket and disable the car.

9. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It'd be nice to have a auto close for the outlet cover. Two-step operations sometimes rattle me when I'm in a hurry. There've been several times I've driven off with the outlet cover still open. No harm, just a gigantic FAIL that everyone else can seeā€¦ LOL

10. Mark Y

Mark Y Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't give them any ideas now ;-)

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    driving off with the gas nozzle still attached happens so often that gas stations are now equipped with quick release hoses and sensors to cut the flow of fuel.

12. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as high as 50% of the time as speculated by the OP for a charging plug? How soon will we run out of Darwin awards?

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    big difference between getting gas (a 5 minute venture) verses plugging in which can take all night.

also, there is other things i can say about anyone who claims a 50% "forgettal" rate. i have been plugging in for over 5 years and have forgot to unplug a dozen times maybe

14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't forgot to unplug yet, but I have forgot to plug-in twice in the last 4 months. I have neglected to close the cover maybe a dozen times.

If I have 4kwh I won't plug-in at home. I can get to the charging station where my EV subscription let's me get a full charge at no additional expense.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya i forgot to close mine as well and mine is on the front. i got on the freeway doing 55-60 mph and it did not open. i noticed it when i got out of the car and walked past the front!

as far as forgetting to plug in, i have done that a few times but i just zip over to the quick charge station to power up. 10-15 minutes of charge is more than enough to get me going!

John Hatchett likes this.
  16. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I -never- forgot to unplug my plugin, but it had no warning system at all so it was critical I remembered. But then it's also critical I remember to lock the front door, and wear shoes. It just becomes one of those things you don't even think about.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    WOW!! even my "stone age technology" ZENN would not move when plugged in

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish the Volt could take a DC quick charge, or even a 6.6kw charge.

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Quick Charge is the game changer. in my situation it is MUCH more important than anything else except price. my 85 mile range is no longer an issue. the only way i would get an EV without quick charge is if it would do at least 80 miles and cost under 18,000-20,000 which wont happen anytime soon.

about a month ago, i had an unplanned errand i had to run. the LEAF was only at 40% SOC since i had no real driving plans for that day. i jumped over to Tumwater, charged 12 minutes (all the time i had!) zipped to Chehalis, did the deed. stopped in Centralia for lunch and another 8 minute charge (its at a Wendy's. i basically plugged in, went inside, got food to go and came back out and unplugged) made it back to Oly for an appointment and then topped off at Tumwater for 15 minutes again to finish the day.

total time charging; half an hour. drove 93 miles. started with SOC of 40%, ended with 30 % and not a drop of range anxiety!

20. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get the range anxiety, just the gas anxiety whenever I think I might have to run the range extender.

Are the quick chargers pay by the kwh or ? I don't think we have any here in Austin yet, at least according to PlugShare.

DaveinOlyWA likes this.