1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locations of ECU's on 2011 Gen3 Prius RHD

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Teddy Blazer, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Teddy Blazer

Teddy Blazer New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Hey guys, I wonder if anyone can help me out with diagram/schematic of the locations of the various ECU's on a RHD 2011 Gen3 Prius?

Reason being my brother in law owns the Gen3 and drove it as per usual and came home had a cup of tea and then went back out to go to work and when he got in the car to go again, the car was stuck in Park and he had the "P Lock Malfunction when parking, park in flat place and apply parking brake securely" message on the display. We googled the world and tested the battery it was fine and even got another and still the same issue, the dash would come to life as normal but would not allow us to select D or R it would go into N but not engage the gearbox. After a lot of head scratching we had it recovered to our local Toyota stealership and they quoted a minimum 1hr labour charge at £97 + VAT to diagnose the problem. They called and said it was the main ECU by the fuse box in the engine bay and quoted £1281 including VAT, to replace it and they mentioned the word "BUT" this may not resolve the problem!?!?! So me and bro in law said we'll think about.......

Anyway to cut a long story short, the car has been recovered back to my bro in laws house still in the same manner it was in on the dreaded day, unable to select D or R and stuck in Park.

We've checked the fuse boxes and all is well, we've shut the doors and done everything stated in many of the forums and still none the wiser. It seems strange that it won't go into gear but other members here who have that same message solved it with a new battery and we've tried that as well.

The Gen3 is a 2011 Japan Import, mileage 97k.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    probably needs a new shiftet console

3. Teddy Blazer

Teddy Blazer New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Thanks Tank will do......

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Get Mini VCI so that you can retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes.
    2. Subscribe to the Toyota Europe techinfo service so that once you have obtained the DTC, you can follow the troubleshooting tree to decide what to do.

Toyota Service Information

3. In the unlikely event that the car actually requires a replacement ECU, buy a used one on eBay or wherever is convenient in the UK, probably for 100 GBP or thereabouts. Good luck.

5. Teddy Blazer

Teddy Blazer New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Thanks Patrick will do.

6. emge

emge New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you get a chance to fix this issue?