1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lock Actuator Fail

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by xamnosidda, Jan 17, 2013.

1. xamnosidda

xamnosidda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2010 Prius with about 51,000 miles on it. About a month ago the front passenger lock actuator began failing and wouldn't lock/unlock with the remote. I had to manually slide the lock shut before I exited the car or it would keep beeping when I pressed the lock button on the remote.

Well, now the driver's side door is doing the same thing. When I touch the front door handle (to unlock the doors) it beeps like 8 times while it tries to unlock all four doors. I have to open the back drivers-side door and manually unlock the front door so I can drive the car.

Does anybody know if these things are faulty and Toyota is replacing them? If not, where can we buy the actuator motors and fix them ourselves? My local Toyota dealer quoted over $300 for the repair of one lock. Screw that!

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    TsKarma likes this.
  3. xamnosidda

xamnosidda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks for the link. Has anybody laid out this repair on a 2010/Gen III? I've seen pics for an older model.

4. xamnosidda

xamnosidda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've posted this question before but haven't received the reply I need. Both front door locks have failed in my 2010 Prius. The actuator motors are either stripped or don't have the power to move the black lock mechanism to either lock/unlock the car.

As a result I have to use the hidden key to unlock my driver's side door every day. Obviously, this is frustrating. It's a 2010 with about 55k miles on it so it is concerning that they both failed within a month of each other.

I was quoted a repair price of $400 for each lock which of course is ridiculous. Is there an easier way to get these fixed?

I would imagine the motors/actuators can't be worth much more that $20 each. Can someone please direct me to some info/videos of how to fix this myself? Toyota says, "Sorry, out of warranty."

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You sure it isn't your 12 volt battery? Can you measure the voltage at the terminals after the car's parked overnight?

6. xamnosidda

xamnosidda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, it's the actuators/motors. The rear doors work fine (and the rear hatch).

7. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a first. Never seen them go out on a Prius. Your fob unlocks the other doors? The front doors won't unlock with the power lock button either? Are there any non-OEM accessories installed, i.e. dealer installed remote start?

SPH-D710 ? 2

8. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If both went out at the same time I'm betting that it isn't the actuators. I don't recall seeing a single actuator failure in this forum--you won't see two at one time.

9. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you check all the fuses?
    Does the door lock button work, open and close?
    Does the car lock the door when you start driving?
    Maybe change the programming as to when the car doors lock?

Both doors failing is very strange.

Just some thoughts.

10. WienerMobile

WienerMobile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the driver's side actuators on my 2010 (both front and rear) failed at 41,000 miles, about 30 months after purchase. Dealer asked Toyota corporate, and they picked up parts cost, and dealer labor was discounted. My out-of-pocket: $200 for diagnosis and labor.

Nine months and 10,000 miles later (19March13), passenger side actuators front and rear failed. My out-of-pocket: $630 for diagnosis and labor - Toyota corp. picked up 50% of parts cost. And yes, the voltage was fine, as was fob battery. In fact, the original fob batteries are still going strong.

When I posted about the locks/actuators nine months ago, I found a couple of others on Priuschat who'd had actuator problems. I like the Prius drivetrain. I'm not happy w/ the locks (and CD player) failing barely out of warranty.

11. xamnosidda

xamnosidda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, like WienerMobile both front locks failed within 2 months of each other. I was quoted $400 per to fix. Ridiculous.

The lock/unlock button works but only on the rear doors. It tries to lock the front doors but the black slider with the red on it doesn't move.

WienerMobile, did you ever try oiling the black slider switches in the doors? I wonder if that would help.

12. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    According to alldata, the actuator parts list for $323 a piece from Toyota.

If you feel adventurous, try this: Fixed: Door Lock Actuator in Gen II Prius | PriusChat

13. xamnosidda

xamnosidda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I've seen that post. Some of the pictures of the repair don't seem to work. I'll probably go that route.

Thanks.

14. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ...or see if there are junkyard actuators available.
    One advantage of having a relatively rare failure is that used parts should be plentiful and less expensive.

15. 3TE

3TE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    xamnosidda,

I just purchased a 2010 Prius II 3 days ago with the same exact problem. Both front doors do not lock. I have a warranty though. I'll take it to the dealer and let you know what becomes of it.

*Update: Dealer replaced both front actuators. Every door lock works now. Parts and labor covered by warranty no out of pocket cost. :)

16. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is a parts site I have had good luck with, see if your door lock is listed here.

Part Detail

I thought it might be the Receiver, Door Control on the bottom of the list for $98.85 each.

18. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My LR lock failed too. Basically the motor is failing, it doesn't have enough torque to lock or unlock the door. I assume this will fail on all the other doors in the future :( The whole assembly needs to be replaced together. I am debating if I should buy a used one for about $70 or new one @ $ 240. It seems to come out pretty easy though after unbolting the unit from the door

19. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rare? Well, now I feel pretty bad. My driver's side front door actuator motor was starting to fail about 6 months ago when my car was still under warranty. The dealership fixed it up. I'm currently at 40k and out of warranty and now the passenger side front door lock is doing the same thing. I thought I'd get it fixed until I was quoted $593! :eek: Are they kidding? No way I'm paying that. The dumb thing about it is that I almost always drive alone and have no need for the door locks to open and close every time I enter the car. Maybe if it wasn't doing that I'd still have a workable lock!

20. John Trevarthen

John Trevarthen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm having the same problem with the driver door on my 2011. I have 55,000+ miles, and it started acting up again about a month ago. My car first had this locking problem while still under warranty, maybe a year ago, and the dealer replaced the computer. Now I'm having the same problem, but I'm pretty certain that it's the actuator in the driver door. Temperature / humidity seem to be a factor. Most mornings, the locking system works fine, but as the temperature goes up, the only way I can lock the drive door is by flipping the switch manually before closing the door. I can still lock the other 3 door with the remote. Up until yesterday, the unlock was still working (all 4 doors) with the remote, but a couple times I've had to break out the emergency key to unlock the driver door.

Last weekend I tried using some WD40. I thought there was a chance that there was something binding inside the door. This seemed to help for a couple days, but it might have been a fluke.

When I hit the power door lock, while inside the car (with all doors closed), the other 3 door would lock, and the driver door would try to lock. It seemed like the lock was trying to work, but just didn't have enough power to move the switch all the way. I also would hear a quiet squeal, like there was strain on the motor. This same thing would happen while trying to lock the door with the remote.

I stopped at the dealer. They quoted me a price on the lock assembly, $326.26 + labor. I inquired about the possibility about Toyota covering this, since it was the same problem that was initially addressed last year, while under warranty. No luck. Do you think I would have any luck contacting Toyota on this? Sounds like they might have installed a batch of bad actuators on these cars.