1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lock Running Vehicle

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by beachgeek, Aug 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Door trim off ... old cylinder out ... new cylinder in ... door trim back on. :)

I've seen this phrasing a lot on PriusChat, and I'm curious when it became a thing. In my mind (comma!) it comes from Woza Albert!, but I do not know if that's something most people have seen. :)

-Chap

2. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Lots of ideas to try.

3. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I went to the dealer, not alone. The other person looked at a vehicle. Naturally the salesman didn't want to appear stupid in front of a potential customer so when I asked he sent me to a guy who knew the answer. A key was promptly ordered and it is being shipped directly to me. He did not know how to get the key code. He said they give Toyota the info and Toyota does the key. And that is what he did. You get a tag when you buy the car new but after that... I said what if I were in Chicago and lost my key? I'd have to wait a week to get one from Toyota? Apparently that has not come up. Thanks for all your help.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Success story

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, I completely overestimated the effort to replace the lock cylinder in a Gen 3. You don't even touch the door trim. It's more like:

Pop out plastic plug ... loosen one T30 bolt (not all the way out, just loose enough for cylinder to slip out) ... new cylinder in .. tighten bolt ... pop plug back in. Grandma could do it. :)

-Chap

6. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This grandma wouldn't know where to start, has no idea what a T30 bolt is, etc. :) I might take the computer apart but not the car. We all have our talents. ;) But I got the key and that is all that matters now.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Old threads on PriusChat sometimes get looked at by future readers who have similar questions, so that's why I wanted to follow up, so a future reader wouldn't come away thinking cylinder replacement is difficult. You don't even need to be sure which of your screwdrivers is the T30, if you just try them all till you find the one that fits in the only bolt you can see when you pop the plug out. :)

-Chap

beachgeek likes this.