1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lockdown Cuisine Thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Apr 15, 2020.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, but where does #3 come in?

Haven't tried it for that. One noticeable feature is that the lid has a sealing ring made of silicone, and this will retain what you could only call an unkind caricature of the smell of whatever you cooked last. You can kind of fix it by running a batch of white vinegar and citrus peels, which doesn't make the odor go away, just turns it into a caricature of vinegar and citrus, which is often an improvement.

I'm not sure I want to know what an Instant Pot caricature of EGR cooler smells like.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My sister in law got an instant pot and has reported the same sorts of success.

Meanwhile we took the other side of the cointoss and got an air fryer. We've had it long enough to figure it out. I remain impressed by the base claim and performance: deep fried flavor with a teaspoon of oil less.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Mk-1, Mod-1(*) stovetop pressure cooker that I keep on hand for canning - something that I really do not do much of because a lot of our pantry staples are shelf safe faaaar beyond the 'sell-by' date, and I'm not THAT much of a prepper.

* Mk-1, Mod-0 (original) pressure cookers used to have a scary hissing weights on them.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Recently bought a Breville Air Fryer Smart Oven and made some delicious zucchini sticks. Gonna try air-fried chicken soon.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've learned that I can't (so far) beat the fried chicken from the fancy fryer at the deli counter in the supermarket. But on the other hand, I can buy theirs, freeze half of it, and rejuvenate it in the air fryer. And it's miraculously good. Can't tell the difference between fresh and months in the deep freeze when I do it that way.

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We're just trying to avoid using oil/grease. The zucchini sticks came out surprisingly crispy w/o oil.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    different generations .... as kids of the 1960s, we remember our moms going healthy. Switching from lard, & then to Crisco. LOL
    To this day, it's still no easy task to NOT scramble eggs in the bacon grease. Yum yum!

Mark57 likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I remember the pressure "cookers" that came with two or three different weights to sit on top of the vent tube. The opening had a certain area, divide that into the chosen weight, that's the pressure you get.

I have a larger pressure "canner" that came with only one weight (the 15 psi one) but has a pressure gauge in the middle of the lid that reads psi on a dial. In normal use there's no steam escaping under the weight, and you really can dial in any pressure you want, by watching the gauge and adjusting your burner input under the canner.

It's kind of fun working out how that can be. There's a whole evaporate-circulate-condense sort of climate system closed up in there, whose only energy input is from your burner beneath the pot, and only energy output is heat lost through the walls, and by changing your one input you're driving that whole enclosed system to a different equilibrium pressure.

The Instant Pot is in that family. It only comes with a single weight sitting on the vent tube. It has no visible pressure gauge, but an internal sensor, and the firmware modulates the heating input to hold a target pressure.

Beyond that, they build in a lot of features to make it more foolproof. There's a 'vent' button that mechanically pushes up the weight to let the pressure off so you can get your meal out faster than waiting for natural cooling, and you can move the button without your hand being near the weight where the steam will escape. The weight is under a plastic cover with a ring of holes not directly above it, so escaping steam has to take a longer path under this cover, and a lot of condensation happens in there, so if your hand does get in the path, it packs a lot less latent heat of vaporization to deliver to your skin. There's a pair of mechanical interlocks so (a) when pressure is inside you can't rotate the lid to try to open it, and (b) any rotation of the lid also lifts the weight. Inside the lid, the vent tube has not just one opening but a set of cut channels, and there is a screen over it, all to reduce the chance that one random bean blob blocks the whole vent and leads to overpressure. Plus the microcontroller will detect any excess pressure at the sensor and turn off the heat and display an error.

Overall they did a lot to make it convenient and non-scary.

Pressed the yogurt button out of curiosity last night. Darned if it didn't make yogurt.

Now I have a lot of yogurt.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The wife got a Ninja Foodi from Costco yesterday :).

The dehydrating feature is the first up to try;).

I'll post up some results when they are available (y).

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 2.38.43 PM.png

I don't have an instant pot cooker, so I can't try this one myself.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Is the "Clear Packing Tape" to cover your mouth so you don't have to drink this abomination? :D

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Honestly no clue. I haven't got one of those, so I'm posting it in the hopes of getting a report from someone who has tried it.

Click on the graphic to get the full instructions.

I'd be welcoming a better recipe in your next post- doesn't have to be wine.

Tonight we are doing Alton Brown's gyros with tzatziki recipe. I've got a cheap charcoal barrel grill that I modified with a 36" rotisserie setup. It's the first time we've tried this one, but we've had great success with Brown's other recipes so we are fairly confident in this one.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To make a poor-man's 'aerator' on top of the bottle you'll use for the ~ month of fermentation after the two days in the Instant Pot.

I haven't tried it, but the recipe author reported decent opinions from a couple people who did.

I only have the one pot, and it's currently occupied making something like my old chili recipe minus the bits I don't have at the moment. So no wine for me. I found a cache of seriously old dried beans.

14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I only just discovered this: Add a teaspoon of baking soda to your dried beans as they cook. A more alkali gravy shaves hours off the softening clock and lands you at a great texture.

15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here's the first dish out:):

5A51E531-6176-4713-A735-BA488340D29B.jpeg

Steak wasn't the best cut, but still turned out well;).

And easy cleanup(y).

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You're reminding me, I didn't put in the picture of the gyro meat we did last night. Today we brought it back for lunch leftovers, I cooked up some rice with turmeric and served it NY street style.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 9.59.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 9.59.32 PM.png

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That looks really good:).

I bet it was very tasty;).

Hang in there and keep the cuisine pics coming(y).

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You bet! we did something not picture-worthy tonight but I'm thinking I might do my 8-hour smoked wings this weekend.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Kraft macaroni and cheese, two boxes, with a tin of minced clams, extra white cheddar, and a dollop of sour cream.

Bob Wilson

20. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    From the Cardiologist's Cookbook :ROFLMAO: