1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locking and leaving Prius on with heat on?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Haraald, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Haraald

Haraald New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do a lot of car camping and have equipment that can't freeze/get below 33, but I need to leave the car unattended sometimes. The interior always needs to stay above say 40 to be safe. I'm in the PNW so looking at climactic data, that means the car needs to be able to do this for part or all of about ~40 days each year. We don't get down below freezing that much, so I don't imagine it would take much energy to keep the car's interior "warm" at 40.

The bigger problem is keeping the car safe- I read that if you have two key fobs or quickly lock the doors then roll up the window, you can leave the car on while you leave. Would I need to cover the dashboard lights so people think it's off? Obviously it will start up every once in a while to turn the heat on... though hopefully not too much? Can I even set the heat at 40? (It's in the shop right now so I can't check)

ePWR and RCO like this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my Gen 3 anyway, the lowest available setting is 65. (The one notch below that is "LO", where the unit keeps trying to cool the car no matter what.) But it might not be that expensive to hold at 65 either. Except at night, there's still sun on your side, even in cold weather.

A Gen 3 can be locked from outside the driver's door using the mechanical key while it is READY. It has to be unlocked the same way (fob signals are ignored when it's READY). If the Gen 4 is the same way, you won't have a problem locking the car. But of course the theft alarm won't be armed in case someone forces the door.

-Chap

Roger T, RCO and Haraald like this.
  3. Haraald

Haraald New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^Does the control panel lighting stay on?

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, all lights on. The engine will start from time to time as well. I've done it a few times for short periods wanting to keep the A/C running, never an extended time. The other thing to check, I'm not sure, but my DRLs light up when POWER is ON - unless of course I turn on parkers/side lights or headlights - but I think that is one of the oddities TOYOTA did in just some regions.

In my Gen4, I think I can wind the temp down to 17C which is about 62F I think - the next step is "LO TEMP" - I haven't tried it, but I was told that's how you turn the heater/a/c OFF altogether on GEN 4. Give it a go some time to make sure.

As Chap says, lock it up with the mechanical key, and unlock it with it when you return - and take the risk with NO Alarm.

RCO likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can turn off the MFD and MID. For the speedo, I think you can turn the brightness down but you may need to have at least the parking lights on in order to adjust that.

The other lights that will be on will be the blinking seatbelt light, the READY and the ((BRAKE!)) light (parking brake).

RCO likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Um, he is posting from Seattle. Are you unfamiliar with Seattle? :)

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's another of those extremely rare auto-corection bloopers, I suspect. :ROFLMAO:

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you have trouble turning off the DRLs (some markets have them non-owner adjustable, like Canada), turn off the car. Apply the parking brake, start the car. The DRLs will remain off until the parking brake is released. You can't have the DRLs turn off in a Prius (in Canada) by just applying the parking brake, it must have been applied when the car was off.

Leaving the car in "ready" is perfectly fine for the car, though may have security people frowning at you. ;)

RCO likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please note, the original poster, like many people here, is in the US.
    In the US, that light says PARK
    upload_2017-4-19_9-55-23.png

The US cars let you turn off the DRLs.

RCO likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How big is the "equipment"; could it fit in some sort of insulated cooler? And how critical/absolute is this temperature requirement?

I think even just shutting the car down and sitting, the interior is going to stay significantly higher than ambient temp, for a protracted time. Leave a sensitive thermometer with a large display in there and verify.

I'm never a fan of using cars as "personal environments" when parked, and protracted idling is actually illegal in a lot of areas.

Not to mention what it does to your Fuelly stats. :whistle:

goldfinger likes this.
  11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got back from a drive-in. Turned off DRL. Set dimmer to low. Turn off infotainment display. Most of the interior lights can be turned off but there will be a few annoying ones that need to be covered by a blanket. And even then they were bright enough that I needed a second blanket. But if the ICE wasn't on, no one would know the car is on.

There's nothing complicated about leaving the car on. Just walk away with the fob and lock the doors mechanically either by key or by pulling out the handle. The car will beep and a message will pop up saying key not found. However, anyone can just smash the windows and drive off with the car without the fob.

Maybe install that infomercial thing that looks like the club but goes on underneath the brakes instead so a thief cannot shift out of park because they can't press on the brakes.

RCO likes this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's your definition of protracted idling. AFAIK, it only runs for less than a minute every half hour or so. Therefore, in my mind protracted means idling for a good 5 to 10 mins or more and that won't happen in a warm Gen 4 except maybe in an extreme climates.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would depend on how cool the ambient temp is, and what you've set cabin temp at?

I really think this is one of those threads, where the OP has a somewhat "tilting at windmills" mission, and responders eagerly help him out, lol.

I'd suspect the temp requirement for his equipment is overblown, and just the car's greenhouse/shelter nature would do the trick. He's just down the road from us, it's practically summer now. ;)

RCO likes this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, my mind-melding is not is not firing on all four, as usual, I've no idea what anybody means...
    .. ever! :sneaky:

15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does this help? Tilting at windmills - Wikipedia

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It won't work that way for his Prius application. In this car model, the brake pedal lockout applies only when pressing the Power button to bring the car up to Ready. He is leaving it in Ready, so the thief is already free to shift the car out of Park and into gear.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Really? I'll have to try that out later. Regardless, pretty difficult to drive without brakes.

RCO likes this.
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That won't stop joyriders from trying, at which point the damage is already done.

RCO likes this.
  20. Haraald

Haraald New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No not overblown! It's a water tank, water pump, and shower equipment for when I go Prius-camping. It would be a disaster if it hit below freezing while there was water in it, and even if I emptied it all, a tiny droplet freezing in the wrong place can crack a fixture. I thought about connecting heat tape to the equipment from the 12V battery, but if something happened and I couldn't get to my car for a few days, it could kill the battery.

I suppose the only other alternative is to shower with anti-freeze water the whole winter.

So I'm correct then that in the US, no exterior lights will be on if the car is left in Ready?

Mendel Leisk likes this.