1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locking and leaving Prius on with heat on?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Haraald, Apr 18, 2017.

1. djSyndrome

djSyndrome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. Haraald

Haraald New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am "stopping the engine" since it's a hybrid. RV owners aren't violating the law by leaving their batteries on. I'm not too worried about it.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gah. I knew it was a word rather than a symbol but forgot which word it was.

Didn't the older cars said BRAKE? Sigh. Switch to the international symbols!! :p

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know the US needs to be the unique snowflake. Who else uses US gallons??
    That is a different light, apparently.
    upload_2017-4-19_18-16-20.png

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't shower. use baby wipes. get them extra wet with just a simple bottle of drinking water, or use as is.

RCO likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd expected some legal disagreements, with you likely losing because the ignition is still on, and the engine eventually will fire up.
    Housekeeping electrical service in an RV is very likely to pass muster under this law.
    Considering that most law enforcement has vastly greater fish to fry, it does seem that you have little to worry about.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW - yes, the AUSSIE cars do the same, thanks.

RCO likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And the Poms, tried it myself this morning! (y)

... Oh, for non-Australians, Poms = Limeys = Brits. Your euphemism may vary! :ROFLMAO:

9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking about the original question, and wondering about:

• If you were to leave your car on for a period of days, and if everything else around is covered in snow (it snows there?), I'd assume that there would be MUCH LESS or NIL snow on your car than surrounding objects/cars - which could arouse suspicion;
    • We don't really get cold here - I've never seen snow in my 63 years. But my recollection of "cold" days last winter where I ran the heater, the ICE ran much more to produce heat than it does to top-up the battery to run the A/C in summer. I'd probably do a "dry run" to check how often it runs. If this was the case, the car could need petrol (gas/fuel) more often.
    • It could be worth checking what is the minimum temperature you need to set to achieve "non-freezing" in the boot (trunk) where your susceptible equipment is stored, bearing in mind that the heater "normally" only warms the front seat floor area if there are no rear passengers or if it's not set to send air to the back seat floor area.

RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even if it is set to heat the rear seats, that does not mean the cargo area will be at the same temperature.
    The best advice, based on the information from others, is "It's illegal in your state. Don't do it!"

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The original question is from Seattle.

This doesn't happen every year in Seattle. And when it does, it most commonly lasts hours, not days. And when it does last, most likely predators (just like the non-predators) don't know how to drive in even a couple inches of that stuff, so won't be able to steal it.

An extension cord to a 120V outlet, an anti-freeze thermostat outlet, and a low powered heater in the car, would probably be better and safer.

Here is a sample thermostat outlet:
    120-Volt Thermocube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet-TC3 - The Home Depot

#31 fuzzy1, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  12. Haraald

Haraald New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Too much ICE running is a concern of mine. What if I just ran a small space heater from the inverter I plan to have attached to the 12V battey? I plan on getting one from this guy: Home Seems like the vehicle would behave more like it would with AC (only turning on once every half hour or so) rather than the ICE coming on all the time when the heat is on. I heard the vehicle uses engine heat more than the battery to get heat.

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The recommendation of other who have done this is the inverter size must be 1kw or smaller. I do not know how that would change ICE running,

14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd ask advice before doing that - the 12V, as far as I recollect, will just go flat - won't start the ICE from time to time to re-charge like the Hybrid Battery will. Could co$t you a new battery quite often.

I'd do a dry run - park the car and observe how often the ICE runs to keep the internal temperature above the freezing threshold you want.

RCO likes this.
  15. Haraald

Haraald New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All the Prius campers say anything attached to the 12v pulls off the big battery, so long as the car is in ready mode....

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I can't see why that wouldn't work - didn't realise you meant still with power ON.

But instead of an inverter, why not investigate a 12V space heater like they use in caravans or motorhomes. One less thing to go wrong and less cables to overheat etc. You can get portable ones or built in ones, I believe. I had a portable one back in the '70s - was cheap and bit nasty back then, but I assume they're better now.

RCO likes this.
  17. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To build on what Mendel Leisk said, get a large cooler. There are super high end coolers like Yeti and Pelican that keep ice frozen for 10 days. The reverse is certainly also true. Put the water in hot and it should keep for a few days.

What the hell kind of camping do you do where it's both freezing and you feel like taking a shower?

RCO, Prodigyplace and krmcg like this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Plus 1

krmcg likes this.