1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locking the Prius while running

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius904, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Prius904

Prius904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I don't know how to do this, if its even possible. Was in a emergency situation the other day where I needed to keep the car running so my dead phone could continue to charge up while I went into a building (don't think the outlet under glovebox or inside middle armrest works unless car is running). I had my electric key fob in my pocket and I kept trying to lock the doors using the power door lock and it would immediately unlock the doors. I tried going outside the car and locking using the lock button on my fob with no luck either. I ended up covering my display monitor with a shirt and turning off the radio and fan in hopes that the engine wouldn't kick in and bring attention to an unattended running vehicle. Is there not a simple way to start the prius and lock it up? Winter is around the corner and warming the car up would be nice, but not ideal in my town if I cant lock it from would be thieves...

Also, I was just outside, to lock the car up for the night and noticed the red flashing icon for the car locking system. It was flashing with the car unlocked... I locked it up, and it was flashing with the car locked. Whats the point of that icon? It seems to be a silly drain of the battery.

2. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You can lock the car while in ready mode by using the mechanical key that slides out of the key fob. When you come back to the car, you'll have to use the mechanical key to unlock the door -- the key fob won't work for that.

As far as I know, the flashing red light just tells you the car is turned off.

Hasan likes this.
  3. alaskaraven

alaskaraven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is good to know. Living in Alaska at 20 to 30 below doesn't work to warm while driving. There is usually a 1/4 inch of ice on the windows

4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you can also lower the driver's side window, exit the car, close the door, reach in the window, press the power lock button, lift all the way up on the driver's window switch to activate the auto-up and pull your arm out quickly.

JC91006 likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure the mechanical key will work in the lock, before you try locking the car using other means besides that key. Its not clear that the Prius will respond to the fob signal when the car is READY and the doors are locked.

The point of the red icon flashing when the car is IG-OFF is to indicate to a potential thief that an antitheft system is present.