1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locking using door handle

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by rotwein, Sep 2, 2013.

1. rotwein

rotwein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone else having difficulty locking or unlocking the car? After driving about 1 hour I can not use the door handle to either lock or unlock the car. If it has been driven in the rain it also will not work.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Wet door handles are always an issue, which is outlined in the manual.
    As to the other, do you have the fob close to the door?

3. Kurt E Sanders

Kurt E Sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have had our new Prius v for a few weeks now. My wife and I, who did not have cars like this in the past, are getting better at targeting the finger detection sweet spot on the front door handles where the electrical resistance sensors are placed.

I am wondering that when the sensors are moist because of dew, rain, or the perspiration from ones finger, they may not easily detect the presence of one's finger as well as when dry. In those high moisture instances, perhaps using the door lock button on the fob might be a better choice. We have yet to drive the car in the rain or high humidity to test what you are seeing.

Here's a thought...Have you checked both front doors to see if this condition occurs at the same time, both doors? You might have a problem worth investigating with the door handle sensors on one or both doors, or the whole system relay and wires that process and interprets the detection of a finger when you have your FOB in proximity of the auto.

Just my 2 cents...

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just give the handle a pinch with two fingers, the sensors are on the top and bottom of the handles.

5. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, the pinch technique works well in adverse conditions. Just make sure you are pinching/touching the driver side door handle on your Prius v, trim II, as that is your only handle with an antenna for trims II and III.

I have also gotten used the the approx 1 second delay between touching or pinching the handle and the lock/unlock activation. Now it's touch and go (away from the car), and listen for the confirmation beep as I'm walking away.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I never have trouble unlocking my v, but I lock it on the inside, I like seeing the red go away.

7. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to be able to unlock all doors at once by touching, but it appears that the key fob is the only way to do this. I tire of the beep-beep everytime.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It works on the v3.
    Both my fob unlocks all doors at once, and grabbing the driver's side door handle opens all doors at once, but they are separate customizations.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47674U/pdf/sec_06-02.pdf

One is under smart key system

The other under wireless remote control

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your owner's manual, I know this can be done on the PiP.

10. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On the 5 you have the option to set it for all doors or just the driver door. Since it's my bride's car, we have it so it only unlocks the driver door - security issue.

11. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Always a little confused when they say Audio Display System or With Navigation. I have a V Three, which has the now standard Map navigation app, and all of the audio is within the display. But someone told me that's not the same?