1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lockpick 3 question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sidelack, Mar 8, 2007.

1. sidelack

sidelack New Member

I recently bought a 2007 pk6 prius. I have been reading about the lockpick 3 "upgrade". Can anyone tell me if there are any options/functions lost or comprimise after the installation. Also, it the "program" un-installable? I bought an extented warranty and would hate to have this warranty voided. In the event that the main "computer" system crashes or malfunctions down the line, it would seem very expensive to fix without warranty coverage. Thanks, jim

2. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No functions compromised (unless you add a DVD player, then while that is selected the 5-minute (or is it less in the '06) bars do not show up while the DVD is on).

It is not a software alteration. It seems that they are simply either macros for the screen shortcuts or electronic work arounds to fool the car into thinking it is not moving so that it allows the phone and other itmes to work when moving. When you remove them, then start your car, it is as if they were/it was never there.

3. orrink

orrink New Member

Just installed my Ultomate 3 plus today. Everything works as advertised. Watched Seinfeld on the NAV. I use a Toshiba Gigabeat player (video ipod) for windows. It's amazing how the dash seems totally disassembled then voila quickly back together. I could do the next one in about 45 minutes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sidelack @ Mar 8 2007, 07:00 AM) [snapback]402184[/snapback]</div>

4. tdmalek

tdmalek Junior Member

Orrin, do you have the 6.1 version of Nav software? I installed the Lockpick 3 Basic on my 2007 and could not get it to work. I emailed Coastal on Thursday but have not received a reply.

5. lagreca

lagreca Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn @ Mar 8 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]402574[/snapback]</div>

What do you mean by "unless you add a DVD player"?

I simply want to add the lockpick so I can change my destination, etc while moving. I am not interested in playing video or dvd's. But I still want my bar graph and mileage calculations to work.

Thanks.

6. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

Notice how the mode switches over to show "Toyota DVD Player".

Plainly, Toyota has the software already installed for this. Lockpick just picks the lock for us and releases it.

7. ilwckb252

ilwckb252 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an 07 with the lockpick installed, Everything works like a charm. It will not affect the way the computer detects when you are moving and calculating yout MPG. However if you use the bluetooth phone integration, when you press the answer key on the steering wheel it will stop fool the car into thinking it is not moving durring your entire conversation. Once you hit the end key on the steering wheel it will resume as if you has just started moving again. That is if you have purchased the kit with bluetooth. Alternatively you can get arround this little snafoo by simply starting an stopping the conversation from your cell phone in stead of the steering wheel.

The way that the lockpick (fools) the car is by temporarily preventing the car from sensing that it is moving. Which means using the nav/bluetooth function will misslead you in complex guidance with the gps, as the car cannot tell if its moving and in what dirrection. I have found this somewhat annoying. But as long as you dont use any of these functions when you are in a big city and have 10 turns in a 2 minute window you should be good.

And on the note of the video, its great. Nothing like sitting in your car at a drive in movie theatre while your waiting for the movie to start ( watching something else ). Or eating in your car in the drivethrough while watching your favorite downloaded and burned episodes or movies.

And countless other uses. One I have found kind of pointless but fun to do, is connecting a satellite dish receiver to the thing using a power inverter and watching live satellite tv in the middle of nowhere.

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the basic lockpick 3 on a 2007 w/nav. It works as advertised, and automatically cancels the
    "I agree" screen just fine. The nav override works too, but I find it a little fluky.
    First, when the override is selected it fools the system into thinking car in not moving, so position updates to the map screen are briefly lost. If you are traveling on anything other than a perfectly straight couse when you do this, your position is messed up on the map and it takes a while to get back on the proper displayed course.
    In an attempt to minimize this effect, the override cycles on and off, while it is selected (goes in and out of override)!!. This is very annoying because it inhibits the very inputs you are trying to make every few seconds. The nav system is way too dependant on that speed sensor to position, IMHO. A Garmin does just fine and has no speed sensor input at all.
    What else can I say, It works. But it's not a perfect solution to Toyota screwing up the system in the first place, by inhibiting it's use while moving.

The basic unit is just a small wiring pigtail that plugs into the nav unit under the drivers seat. 10 second install/removal.