1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lockpick 3 Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Loaftx, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Loaftx

Loaftx New Member

I have a package 5 2007 Prius (nav, back-up camera, jbl). I also have a sirius receiver installed by the dealer.

I want to get a lockpick primarily for the ability to use the nav in motion, though I also wouldn't mind having the Blue tooth integration. The video integration is not that important to me.

Does anyone know which lockpick I should use (Basic, Ultimate, Utlimate +)? I emailed Coastaltech but I do not have high hopes in getting a response from them.

I have read through the forums and evidently the lockpick3 (which I assume is what I need) comes in two parts. One is easily installed under the seat and one goes behind the MFD. I would like to avoid removing the the MFD if possible. Does anyone know which functions go with which piece?

Finally, Is there a video showing how to remove the MFD if I have to?

2. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Under the seat is for Nav. Some people have installed the other piece by removing the speaker cover over the MFD, but it's a tight fit. Removing the MFD is really no big deal -- the a/c covers on either side come off easily and the MFD is bolted into place (I can't remember if the radio has to be removed, but that's easy, too). I've seen pics, but no videos.

3. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The trick with CoastalTech is to call them(toll #, not the toll free). E-mailing them never gets a reply(for whatever reason).

If you primarily want a lockpick to unlock nav in motion, go with BASIC LOCKPICK 1 for $99.00

To add unlocking bluetooth too, go with BLUE LOCKPICK1 for $149.00.

An alternate option is to save $$$ and do this DIY following instructions from the one and only Darell, the EVnut!

You can access the connections needed through the center speaker in the dash, but as mentioned prior that's a tight job. CoastalTech sends well illustrated instructions, and a PC search will result many threads with instructions, on how to disassemble your dash/mfd/radio(yes, the radio needs to be pulled out some too). It's actually easier than one may 1st think.

Hope this info helps. I've installed the ULP3 DIY with success!

4. robinalexis1954

robinalexis1954 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ok, so I spent the money and got the lock pick 3. Installed the behind the dash cables, put the dash back together, and then installed the under the seat cables. But now, nothing works right in my car. I keep getting a message: "Problem" ; the radio works intermittenly, the gas milage does read right, phone bluetooth won't work, map and GPS won't work for at least 1-2 miles, occasionally the screen goes blank! Help!!what did I do wrong?:eek::(

5. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Start over. Can you put it back the way it was before you started?

Then, test your setup BEFORE you put the dash back together.

Either...
    (*)Something just isn't plugged in right (all connections need to 'click')
    (*)Something isn't plugged in the right place
    (*)Something isn't plugged in at all, but needs to be

6. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Whoa! That's scary! Let us know what you discovered that you did wrong (if anything). My wife would kill me if I did anything like that to "her" car!
    Tom

7. robinalexis1954

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, so I figured that the problem lies with the unit that gets plugged in under the drivers seat not the parts that gets plugged in behind the dash. When we unplugged the underseat unit, everything went back to normal. Re-plugged the under seat unit in again and got all the original problems. We waited the 20 sec that was specified in the directions but the computer could not get past "check the system", even after 1 min. Then we started driving, and a few things came back but everything I mentioned before still kept happening. Could I have a bad part? any other ideas?

8. iPracticeYoga

iPracticeYoga Y Yoga Movie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am interested in what you find out since i am now having second thoughts about a 3+

9. robinalexis1954

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I called Coastal and they said people have had similar problems with the lock pick 3 and 2005 models because there was a software conflict. But I have a 2006 prius. Well:mad:dealerships must think we are totally stupid! I called the dealer and they told me my care was manufactured 1/1/2006 with all 2006 parts. Yea right! They got totally pissy when I disagreed with them. Then they put me to service and told me ok, the car was manufactured at the end of Jan with all 2006 parts. NOT!!!!!!!, Called back again and finally found out that my 06 prius had an 05 GPS unit in it. Coastal has been great and they are sending me a new plug in. :)

10. iPracticeYoga

iPracticeYoga Y Yoga Movie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How difficult was the install? and do you like all the features?