1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locomotive and Prius have some things in common

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sabby, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My son is interested in Locomotives and found this manual on the web.

http://bartfk.cba.pl/gfx/opm/SP-ES44DC-GE.pdf

Interesting that the diesel electric locomotive has some operating characteristics similar to the Prius. For example it has an Auto Engine Stop Start system. It also has "dynamic" electric braking in addition to the friction air brakes.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I clicked on the link and got a redirect. Is Priuschat infected again or is this phishing?

BTW, I knew about hybrid diesel locomotive propulsion, but didn't know much about locomotive batteries.

3. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The current "diesel locomotive" is really a diesel electric with the prime mover supplying the voltage to the traction motors in the drive wheel trucks. The dynamic braking is created by reversing the field of the traction motors making them generators. The voltage and current created during DB is given away to a large grid that supplies resistance and dissipates the energy as heat. The batteries used to start the diesel engine do not get the dynamic braking voltage. If you look at a current model like the ES44AC or DC, the "blisters" on the long hood of the body, are where the dynamic brake grid is located.

Conversely in an electric engine, or simply a "motor" like the Acela trainset, that draws its power from the overhead catenary wire, the regenerative braking voltage is returned to the overhead catenary wire.

hope this helps
    ES44AC ex-Amtrak