1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long beep after making left turn

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by New2Priusv, Jan 11, 2016.

1. New2Priusv

New2Priusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I noticed twice on the commute this morning that my vehicle made a long beep sound after completing a left turn. There were no other warning lights/messages on the dash. The first time, I thought it was something coming through over the radio, so I turned it off, and the sound continued, probably for a total of 6-7 seconds at least. It's similar to the beep that comes on if you start moving and the passenger is not wearing his/her seatbelt. The radio was totally off the rest of the way and it happened at the next left turn I made (when I got off the highway). Although it was icy this morning, it was not particularly slippery at the intersections when I made the turn and I did not notice the TCS coming on, etc. Any ideas?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Door or hatch not latching properly??

3. New2Priusv

New2Priusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There were no door ajar warning lights coming on so didn't think about that, good point. That being said, the doors were definitely iced up this morning (had to really pull at them to open) so I wonder if there is something wonky with a sensor or something. When I used the key fob to lock the doors, I didn't encounter any issues (i.e. where the warning chime would come on if a door is ajar). I will take a good look at the latches and seals to see if perhaps there is some ice getting in the way or something.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oddly, at least on The Standard Prius Two, there doesn't seem to be a specific "Door Ajar" light.
    You really have nothing to lose here. If it's been icy and opening and closing the doors has been "different", then checking them and making sure they are shut tightly is an easy check....and hopefully and easy fix.

A 6-7 second beep, with no other lights, codes or warnings is mysterious. Happening after making left turns is interesting as well, but without some other information I'm not really sure.

Let us know if it comes back, goes away, or what you discover. I'm stumped.

5. New2Priusv

New2Priusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh, I'm pretty sure there should be a light for that, unless you are referring to the fact that which door is ajar is not specified like it is in many other cars (especially those in the same price range). That and the fact that there is no low windshield washer fluid warning light (yet my old Corolla had it, lol) are two things that surprised me about the car, otherwise no major gripes.

CR94 and The Electric Me like this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Check brake fluid level...

7. Midesaka

Midesaka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Could this be the "low key fob battery" warning tone? I wasn't familiar with this, but just read in another thread that there should be a 15-second interior tone when the fob battery needs replacing.

8. Lexcyn

Lexcyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had this happen this morning. It turned out to be the rear hatch was open just slightly enough that the sensor did not fully trip to cause the door ajar icon to illuminate, but when I checked the door it was not fully shut (been very cold so ice is the culprit). The beep sound went away after a minute or so, I was very confused as well. What made me check the hatch was the interior lights came on as if a door was open (was still slightly dark out so I could see them turn on).

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you away from the lakes a bit? Sounds nasty there.

10. New2Priusv

New2Priusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just to update this thread, it was the same issue Lexcyn mentioned, except it was with the rear passenger side door. The warning light was not on, and when I locked the vehicle I didn't notice it (the warning beep did not come on when I locked the doors either). It was only when I returned to the car at the end of the day that I noticed the door was slightly ajar. The doors/door seals were quite frozen that morning, so so it's possible some ice, etc. may have caused the door sensor not to trip.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base