1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

long beep and brake pressure low

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by karmakid64, Mar 26, 2019.

1. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    my 05 started a constant beep the brake light came on and the brake pressure is low also vsc and abs {see attached photo} please tell me its something I can easily fix. if not how much will it cost?

thanks! IMG_0562.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a leak in your accumulator. but prius brakes are complicated. you need to read the codes with tech stream software (amazon) and troubleshoot with the service manual at techinfo.toyota.com

the whole shebang is $3500. at the dealer, diy a grand in parts. many people go salvage for a few hundred with decent success.
    if it's just the accumulator, shouldn't be too bad.

karmakid64 likes this.
  3. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the response!
    I called tampa hybrids in Tampa FL and they said it would cost 2160 installed for an upgraded part because the original is defective? or something to that effect. he said he does not install used ones because they could also fail and that seems fair to me and he has a great reputation here on Prius chat
    but, because im a disabled person living on a fixed income I need the to take/consider the least expensive option
    is there a less expensive solution? Thanks for the feedback!

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, todd is a great guy from all that I've heard. and that is a great price compared to a dealer.

iirc, some have mentioned changing the brake fluid can help. see if you can find any threads.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, are you not in Tucson like it says in your profile? That an awful long way to drive to have your brakes fixed.

Depending on whether you had a conversation like, "Can you give me a quote for fixing my brake accumulator?" or more like "I have these lights and symptoms. What do you think is wrong and what will that cost to fix?" with Todd, you might be better to take it to a more local Prius mechanic for a diagnosis, that includes reading the DT codes, and then a solution from that.

Get a second opinion on that too, just to keep the first guy honest.

I wouldn't be asking to spend $2-$3,000 just on the strength of one opinion on here.

karmakid64 likes this.
  6. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    thanks yes I live in Tampa now

7. karmakid64

karmakid64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    as of this morning the continuous beep and the dash lights went away everything seems normal but I am still taking it to local hybrid mechanic to scan for codes and diagnostic to see whats going on. he said the diagnosis would be between 69 and 130 dollars.
    I asked if the diagnostic is free if I go with the repair and he said no

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Diagnostics are always free in my shop. If it is the actuator (usually DTC C1256 and/or C1391) I can install the brand new updated Toyota part for $1950 + tax.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.