1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long beep while driving 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by InCole, Jan 3, 2016.

1. InCole

InCole New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

So I was just on my way home and my Prius suddenly did a long beep without any symbols appearing on either the screen or the dash (as soon as it beeped I immediately checked the screen).

It was a long beep for about 30 seconds or so.

I was driving downhill in the rain, my 2008 Dutch (Netherlands spec) Prius does not have keyless entry/driving. So the fob was in the slot.

I was not breaking and in fact my foot was off the accelerator as I was going downhill at 70 KM/h. The window wipers were on and the rear window & mirror defroster was on (for a second cycle, as it goes off automatically after 15 minutes).

So yeah, I am completely mystified by it as there were no symbols on dash or even a message on the screen. My car does have front and back parking beepers but in the rain I always have to turn off my front beepers anyway so those were off, and the back one normally only activates when in R.

Regards,
    Cole

2. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Door was open while you were driving, or at least the car thought it was. Could also be a faulty door switch. Check all four doors if it happens again.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure the Prius was beeping, vs. some other device like your phone?

koolingit likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat!

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably the passenger seat had something heavy in it and the dashboard PLEASE BUCKLE SEAT BELT red light in front of the pass seat was blinking too.

6. InCole

InCole New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm that does sound possible, if it happens again I will check all the doors.

No for sure was Prius

Thanks! :)

No as mentioned no symbols on dashboard. That is also a different beep sound, it is not a solid beep but a beep that goes on and off very softly at first before becoming a rapid loud beep.

7. InCole

InCole New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

I found by chance what the issue was.

It was the warning sound that the parking beepers (both front and back) were deactivated due to fault in system. It only happens in the rain and last time it happened I did not use the parking beepers to park, but day before yesterday I did and then I realised that both front and back were no longer working.

When the weather dried up again yesterday and I used the car the beepers worked again.

Seems the rain is getting somewhere where there is an open wire or connection and it is stopping the beepers from working.

Hopefully the garage can find where the fault is, any tips here would be greatly appreciated as then I can already look myself for the fault location.

goldfinger likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US we don't have factory-installed parking sensors in the 2G model. My 2004 has aftermarket sensors in the rear bumper.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah that was a trick question.:p