1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long broken A/C compressor replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pomegranate, Apr 29, 2023.

1. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2006 UK Prius in 2016. It was cheap because the air conditioning didn't work (not that the seller told me that...). This didn't bother me so I've been driving it ever since (now 170k miles).

Now I have reasons that I might want to fix the A/C. Last time I looked into this, in 2019, I took it to a dealer who said it was full of gas but the compressor was dead - that's also what Techstream told me. £1000 fee to fix it - perhaps not.

The guy who sold it to me had taken it to various 'fast fit' places for repairs, and my suspicion is he took it somewhere for a regas and they didn't use the proper oil. But I don't have any evidence for that.

So, supposing I want to fix this, what should I do? I'm thinking:
    1. Take it somewhere to remove all the gas from the system, who support hybrids
    2. Flush it. Does a regular A/C flushing service work for this, or does it need something extra to get rid of potential spurious oil? Does it matter if it's had the wrong oil for an extended period?
    3. Install a fresh compressor. We don't have refurbished or aftermarket ones available in the UK, so it's either one from a scrap car or a 'new' one from China ('Happy Touring' brand ES18C on Aliexpress). The latter doesn't sound enticing. What should I be looking for in a scrap one? Is it meaningful to test electrical resistance to check the coils are still intact? Any other checks?
    4. Should I ask them to plug it to keep the oil inside? Or drain it and add fresh ND-11? What happens if there's too much oil? What if I buy a compressor and don't fit it for a while, do they go 'stale' if exposed to air? (eg if the compressor was removed from a donor vehicle and has been sitting on the breakers' shelf for a while)
    5. Once it's fitted, anything different from a standard vacuum and regas? Do a second flush?
    I would likely need to find somewhere to do #1, #2 and #5. Of the limited number of places locally who support hybrids they don't seem to like doing something that's different to their usual routine, so it's useful if it's 'just a regular A/C service'.

Are there any other pitfalls in trying to fix a car with dead A/C for this long?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Take compressor from a breakers car well cared for . Other than wreck that sent it to breaker. Install on you're car . You can add the correct oil today as their alot of electric compressors now . Maybe a new drier. In my world here in the Southeast United States where it's very hot very long periods of time I have just gassed up and driven many of these cars without incident most of them still working today and on the road and air conditioner still functioning I own gauges and compressors and vacuum pumps and all that and very rarely use any of it many Prius I buy air conditioning is not functioning It is the next day with minimal amount of anything done yeah okay I'm just lucky I'll take that enjoy your car. I always have air in every piece of junk I own unless it's the motorbikes.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's essentially the procedure they used at the Automotive Career Development Center when they tested for a cheaper recovery method from a wrong-oil incident, discussed in this thread:

AC Compressor Oil - Interesting Article | PriusChat

The link to their article seems to have gone dead, but they put in 5 ounces of the wrong oil, did not have any immediate problems, and then did a complete flush with a HECAT H-1000 flush machine, replaced the compressor, and recharged using the proper oil.

It reports the A/C working fine 49,000 miles after they flushed and recharged it that way.

The HECAT flushing equipment is kind of interesting (Google knows about it), and some shops may have it and some may not.

The article doesn't necessarily cover the effect of the wrong oil being there for an extended period, because in their test, they flushed the system pretty quickly after adding the wrong oil, as might happen if a shop caught their mistake early, and before any symptoms showed up.

SFO likes this.
  4. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting - the link in the above thread works on the Wayback Machine with date 20190414210550 (can't post the direct link).

So I don't actually know a great deal about A/C servicing, but I was assuming that when A/C shops offer a 'regas and clean' service, that would involve flushing the refrigerant system. But maybe I'm wrong here. In particular I doubt they're going to have any specific machine (for one thing, likely not a US machine), just whatever they use on other hybrid vehicles. When changing the refrigerant (eg if it's leaked or got moisture in it) do they do a flush?

Absent one of those machines, am I looking at a full system replacement - which is what: pipes, evaporator, condenser?

Good point about the drier, that's worth doing.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No nobody's going to read replacing all the pipes and everything like that unless you live in some place where all that stuff is just destroyed by ozone and you know the weather on your planet I kind of doubt it and as far as the regassing and cleaning and you're assuming a lot from I don't know who exactly I guess you're in another country where maybe this is taken more seriously but I don't know a lot of shops in these United States to spend a lot of time flushing and cleaning and no sir they'll take that electric compressored car and they will vacuum it down and then some of these things you can take a bolt out of the bottom of the compressor drain the oil out of it possibly force more oil out of the rest of the system with compressed air but I'm not sure for what The oil shouldn't really be breaking down and going bad per se. So usually if you haven't had a huge blowout which you would see the streaking on a coil or a condenser or a pipe a big long oil mark. If you don't have any of that going on most of your oils probably still in your system your gas has escape because of a faulty o-ring possibly a gouge in a pipe what have you fix that gas it up see what you got cold air keep getting it You don't want to replace all the pipes and hoses and metal and all that that seemingly getting really kind of ridiculous.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Isn't it said that improper oil will damage the insulation coating of the electrical windings in the compressor?
    If this is true, then shouldn't this be detectable on TechStream via the shortwave highest value reading and/or the P0AA6 DTC?
    I'm not 100% on this since I've never pulled one apart, but it seems to me that a compressor with damaged insulation would very likely lose its insulation value between the windings and the case.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is the concern, and the inconvenience is it's not an instant effect. It's not like the wrong oil goes in and boom, P0AA6. You get the car back, the shop that used the wrong oil gets their money, and some time down the road you find out you need a new compressor and at least an expensive flush, if not worse. (Or you could just replace the compressor, and skip flushing or replacing the other stuff, and display your compressor replacing skills again when that one goes.)

There have been various flushing techniques over the years, flushing with various substances. The HECAT device and the Honeywell Genesolv SF solvent it uses are reported to have some advantages. It seems to have been around since 2008 or so, a while now in other words, and because it distills and reuses solvent, it has (so the HECAT folks say) the lowest cost of use. So it might not be as rare around A/C shops by now as a person might think. I haven't gone looking for it so I don't know.

8. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, digging around what various chains mean by a 'clean' service, it seems like they're talking about antibacterial treatment, which sounds like they're spraying something on the cabin side of the evaporator - ie nothing to do with the refrigerant. So they aren't actually doing any kind of flush.

Anyway, I scanned it with Techstream again and I'm just getting:
    B1423: Open in Pressure Sensor Circuit / Abnormal Refrigerant Pressure

but the A/C tab doesn't show pressure switch status - ie if it's high or low pressure (seems like there isn't a separate signal for that, so it doesn't know, but there's not even a line for the switch).

I pulled up a saved scan from 2019, which is about the time I took it in to the dealer, and I have:
    B1421 SOLAR SENSOR CIRCUIT (PASSENGER SIDE) (I think this one doesn't matter)
    B1472 A/C INVERTER HIGH VOLTAGE OUTPUT SYSTEM MALFUNCTION
    B1474 A/C INVERTER

The last two are 'historic', but that might have been because I cleared codes for something else.

If I run the A/C on max cold, the compressor stays at 0 rpm. If I use the tool in Techstream where I set the compressor speed in rpm, eg 800 or 1000, it stays at 0 rpm. I think previously after I've cleared codes, if I turned on a/c it sounded like trying to spin up and then threw B147x.

So maybe there's now no gas in it, but that is masking the compressor problem? In which case, what procedure should I follow to make the system usable again?

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What I'm questioning, is the OP says the car was bought in 2016 with non-working AC. His suspicion is it failed due to having the wrong oil. After 7 years, if the oil type was a problem, it seems it would have shown up at some point as a P0AA6. The compressor shouldn't just stop working due to incorrect oil, yet have no codes. Following this line of thought, it seems likely the oil type is correct.

If that IS the case, then:
    1. There should be no worry about incorrect oil in the rest of the system.
    2. The dealership stated the system was still pressurized with refrigerant, so the rest of system may be in good health if there's no mechanical contamination from a seizing compressor.
    3. Dealership stated compressor was dead. Dead to me leans toward electrical, but it could be a mechanical or electrical failure. Or no failure at all, after seeing some of the dealer troubleshooting that happens.
    4. The repair manual should certainly have some tests that can be performed to verify one or the other.
    5. This could very well just be a standard compressor replacement job.
    6. Is the compressor even plugged in at the inverter connection, lol. Maybe it's not even a compressor problem....

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I figured you'd be back to tell us that you put some gas in it and the thing was running we're still at codes and shopping for places Cool. I have to fix my air conditioner the next day there's no waiting That's why I have two parts cars here I can't wait to order a line or what have you generally speaking.

11. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (For the record, my posts are being moderated as a new user, so they're showing up a day late. Once they get approved they appear in the middle of the thread)

Anyway, I went through the procedure for checking B1472, being to unplug the compressor and check resistance. That was much less trouble that I expected. It actually looks all good - 0.5-0.6 ohms on each coil.

So does that point the blame to the inverter?

12. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, I've been digging around my old Techstream save files. I found one about 6 weeks after I bought the car, and that has (last 3 historic):

B1421 solar sensor
    B1472 A/C Inverter High Voltage Output System
    B1474 A/C Inverter
    B1476 A/C Inverter Load System

So I'll take a todo when I have some daylight to do the B1476 test procedure (condenser fan and refrigerant check).

13. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Done some more investigation. The condenser fan runs fine. B1423 returns even if I clear DTCs. The A/C pressure switch is open circuit (no continuity between any terminals), and when I run it there's nothing changing inside the sight glass (even if I tap it etc). So I suspect it's empty of gas, which is inhibiting any further investigation.

One thing I could do is jumper out the pressure switch and very slowly spin up the compressor using Techstream (to whatever the lowest speed is, 100 rpm or something?) to see if it'll spin. How much of a terrible idea is this? Am I likely to burn out a good compressor even at that speed? Really I want to confirm whether the inverter is behaving itself.

Otherwise I suppose I have two options:

1. Gas it up, see if the compressor works, if it doesn't drain it, clean, change the compressor and regas it
    2. Remove the compressor, replace with a used one and regas. If I take apart the old one and find debris, either trying to clean the system or just taking a risk (used compressors are cheaper than replacing/flushing much of the system, although doing the condenser/receiver-dryer might make sense)

It seems like I can't buy R134a without a licence (only the 'substitute' highly flammable propane/isobutane mixes) so I'm wondering whether to do #2 - swap compressors and then take it somewhere for regassing, given #1 would require 3 visits to the A/C shop anyway. (I have tried to ask some about replacing compressors, but they don't answer - I suspect they don't want to get into that kind of job for hybrids).

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need a license in the UK to buy R134a?

That totally stinks. R134a in the states is pretty much available on the shelf at a 1000 different stores.

15. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears there's exactly one brand of R134a available to the non-licensed market, and that's £70 per pound and not recommended for hybrids. It would be cheaper for a pro to do it compared with that. There's also some slightly dubious brands of propane/isobutane mix 'R134a replacement', which could effectively be relabelled camping gas...

Anyway, I tried jumpering out the pressure switch and asking Techstream to run the compressor at 100rpm for a couple of seconds. It sounds like it's spinning up - it's loud, but I guess that's to be expected if the system has no gas in it.

So my current question is: how to distinguish if there's an inverter or compressor fault? If it is making spinning noises, does that mean the inverter is OK? Or could a faulty inverter still spin it up but throw DTCs later?

If there is a refrigerant side fault of the compressor (eg a shredded scroll) then presumably the inverter can't sense that, it can only sense that the compressor runs at an abnormal speed?

Following the service flowcharts:
    B1472 says to check the compressor coil resistance (looks good 0.5ohm), if good replace inverter
    B1474 doesn't have a service page, but the contents page says an inverter malfunction (on the Gen3 it's replace compressor, but that has the inverter integrated).
    B1476 says check condenser fan (looks good), if good check refrigerant (low), if low refill, if level good replace compressor

On this basis we have two votes for inverter and one vote for compressor. Does this make any sense? Should I try replacing the inverter first?

Should I gas it up with the camping gas for the purpose of testing, or is that like to cause trouble? (is that stuff a bad idea for hybrids?) I can't pull vacuum, but could try to at least put some gas in it? I could just vent the propane later if needed.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if that's "doesn't have a service page" or "is missing its service page in some assembled-from-prints-to-file PDF floating around on the internet".

17. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe, although the PDFs floating around don't look like prints to file, and the DTC listing links to service pages on every other DTC but has no link for B1474. However I also found a copy of the HTML GSIC for the 2008 (which I think is what you get if you subscribe?) and that doesn't admit to the existence of B1474 at all. I'm wondering whether there was an ECU change in some markets that generates this additional code - perhaps that only landed for everyone for the Gen3? I've seen 2009/2011/2012 and Lexus RX400h/GS450h have it. But of course on all of those the compressor and inverter are the same unit, so the advice is to replace it - not much clarity for me.

#17 Pomegranate, May 10, 2023
    Last edited: May 10, 2023
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The ones I've seen generally are. Some old enough got placed on TIS as PDF or collections of PDF (still needing to be all downloaded and assembled), and later ones, after they left print behind in 2011, clearly didn't start as PDF at all, and are prints-to-file from the format seen online. The big PDF that circulates for Gen 3 was clearly printed-to-file by multiple people, signed in with different names (which sometimes appear in page footers), viewing in different fonts, and then assembling those thousands of small PDFs into a big one where occasional sections are missing and the whole section for the airbag system is really from Gen 2.

Hmm, that could mean something, then.

It doesn't look like the TIS site you get if you subscribe in the US. But it does look like it could be a copy of a similar site for some other region.

Oh, I see, Elektroingenieur did describe it here. It's an optical-disc distribution made "for Toyota dealers and distributors in locations without reliable Internet access".

Pomegranate likes this.