1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long drive...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by tucatz, Oct 15, 2017.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    None of my manual transmission cars (I haven't had a regular automatic in thirty years, spouse never has) would change engine speed under cruise control, unless I intentionally downshifted.

Old style automatics would change engine speed when slip rates changed, but the newer lockup-types might not.

2. ViPaDawG

ViPaDawG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I drove from TX to WA over 5 days. Did several hundred miles a day in a loaded Prius. No issues. Ran the engine almost the entire time and no issues.

RCO likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True - but how far can you travel without having to change speed - traffic, towns etc?

4. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You certainly wouldn't expect to see problems in one trip. Although it was unstated I assumed that the discussion is about long term wear, which in the case of Prius is measured in hundreds of thousands of miles.

How do you know it doesn't have feelings :D
    Some people expect to possibly keep their Prius 100,000 miles or even much longer (my Gen 2 has 135,000 miles and just had its first "major" repair, a new water pump). Other people keep cars for maybe five years or so then move on. Each philosophy is perfectly fine, it's an individual choice. Of course the former type of owner will be more interested in these type of discussions than the latter.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On I-5 or I-90? Hundreds of miles, longer than my bladder can hold out, when we get the timing right to avoid rush hour traffic jams through Tacoma, Portland, or Spokane. No traffic lights or stop signs, just a significant but very brief slowdown for a tight curve in southern Oregon at the base of the Siskiyou mountains.

But I tend to stay closer to legal truck speed. If wanting to drive 75-80 mph, then no dice. One may even have to come to a full stop to give an autograph.

You post from a different hemisphere, so you might not be familiar with our Interstate Highway System. No slowdowns for small and medium towns (they are bypassed), just minor slowdowns to legal truck speed for the few largest places.

#25 fuzzy1, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope - our interstates aren't like that - and, they're littered with RADAR Police $$$ collector$ - big fine$ for even a few km/hr over the limit.

RCO likes this.
  7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At half a tank, I think it's probably one of those accidental clicks when the nozzle doesn't get a complete seal. It just happens sometimes.
    That's why I don't blame the attendant. I blame Oregon. :p

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  8. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, in eleven years of driving my Gen 2 I have never had it stop halfway. And I know this because I always continue after the first click :eek:

Before I am accused of being a tank overflowing scofflaw let me explain. I use the autofill feature on the pump nozzle, i.e. the little lever that you can move to hold the trigger for you (not all states allow this feature). Normally I clean the windows while it is filling, if not I stand several feet away while it is filling as I don't think its good to breath the fumes (the nozzle seals in Georgia are a joke, they don't seal at all). After the autofill clicks off, I give it two more clicks. That only adds a tiny bit more, I am mainly doing it just to make sure that the autofill didn't click of prematurely.

One time I did find with some careful experimenting that after the first click, I can get another quarter gallon or so in the tank by clicking about 15 more times. Obviously that would be extremely tedious, not to mention dangerous to do that every time, but I think it confirms that I am safe using my three-click method. However when going past the first click you need to make sure that you pull the trigger all the way, if you only pull the trigger slightly, the fuel will pump at a much slower rate and can cause that it doesn't trigger the shutoff.

#28 Since2002, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perhaps nozzle technology changed but in the past I dutifully read the caution label at gas stations and abided to not adding more gas after the first click. I rarely had issues. With both my Gen 2 & 3, I've more often than not added another half gallon or more to the tank after the first click. I really feel the gas nozzles are more sensitive now. Either that or blame the Prius, certainly not going to blame the user. :rolleyes:

Despite doing the above, I often drive away with 9 pips or the 10th goes away in a couple miles. Blame the bladder in my Gen 2 if you like but my PiP doesn't have one and it occurs more often in that.

RCO likes this.
  10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only done that a few times when I KNEW that it had only put in, say ½ tank, when I knew it should have put in another 10 litres - almost always I stop at the first click. And almost always it shows close to full on the gauge.

Unlike the early days of charcoal canisters which would vent to the atmosphere if overfilled, I believe today's canisters don't - which is why they warn of filling past the first click. The last thing you want is to force liquid petrol into the canister by overfilling - it's designed to absorb vapours when the fuel heats/cools etc.

RCO likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I the only person here who looks at the car's fuel gauge, the aftermarket ODBII engine monitor's fuel gauge (ScanGauge-II for me), maybe the trip odometer too, and predicts how much fuel the car will take for refueling?

I sometimes (not regularly) experience half fills from premature shutoffs. This isn't solely a problem of poor vapor recovery seals, as it also happens at deeply rural stations that lack such systems entirely.

My predictions are only rarely off by a whole gallon. Larger premature shutoffs are very easily detected instantly, allowing prompt correction before returning to the cockpit. Smaller premature shutoffs that might slip by are of essentially no consequence.

#31 fuzzy1, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    RCO, mmmodem and Since2002 like this.
  12. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t know if it’s different in the UK but I typically go to three clicks to make sure it’s full.

The hire car company that we use at work asks for it to be filled to three clicks before handing that car back to prevent a fuel surcharge.

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.
  13. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's certainly the best way to do it. My Gen 2 with the infamous bladder, that method doesn't work as well. The Gen 2 fuel gauge seems to be accurate for fuel remaining, which of course is the important thing. However the bladder prevents a good prediction of how much fuel can be added before shutoff, it seems to vary by about a gallon. Lucky for Gen 3 and above owners that Toyota did not continue the bladder idea.

14. jrt6

jrt6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stop every 2-3 hours, walk around and stretch. You don't want to get a blood clot from sitting too long. I usually fill up on a long road trip around the half way mark because you never know where the next station will be.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My goodness resting the engine? This is a car it can run for days and days - lets just say humans need a break long long before the car will.

Don't overthink it. Its a car.

16. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing wrong with overthinking. It's underthinking that gets us in trouble. It was a valid question because the OP didn't know. Now he knows, having received several replies with explanations.

Yes a car, not a toaster. More complex than most people realize. With varying opinions on many subjects even by experts. Just think oil change interval, tire pressure, or even "parking brake" ;)

Raytheeagle, pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  17. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes a car, not a toaster. More complex than most people realize. With varying opinions on many subjects even by experts. Just think oil change interval, tire pressure, or even "parking brake" ;)[/QUOTE]

For me oil changes are done as per UK service manual (10k for Prime) and I never check it in between, tire pressure are whatever they are when the car comes and they don’t get checked unless the sensor goes off and never set the parking brake!

iPhone ?

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, not a 'perfect' role model then? ;)

Raytheeagle and Ferrarilover like this.
  19. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    #39 bat4255, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For me oil changes are done as per UK service manual (10k for Prime) and I never check it in between, tire pressure are whatever they are when the car comes and they don’t get checked unless the sensor goes off and never set the parking brake!

iPhone ?[/QUOTE]
    That's right, you bought a Prime! Please update your profile. It still says Other non-Hybrid.