1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long highway commute.. Is Prius good for this?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tarusse1, Apr 21, 2010.

1. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have frequent 200 miles 'commutes' (up to a couple of times a month). I've done two in my three week old 2010 model III, and it has been great. The engine is usually inaudible except going up hills. As others have said, road noise is the only real issue, depending on the road surface. My family agrees that for the first time, we can have a comfortable conversation at highway speeds. By the way, so far in this new car, 70 mph is giving me about 49 mpg (calculated from fill-ups, not the computer), with an overall average of 53mpg. I expect it to get a bit better as the ICE gets broken in.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've heard the same thing (though not tested it) - it's because of the 17" wheels. With the 15" wheels, there's more rubber to cushion and absorb noise from the tires hitting the road, while the 17" rubber is stiffer and transmits more noise.

3. tarusse1

tarusse1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am coming from a 1996 Nissan 200sx that has about 200,000 miles and it is rather loud now with rattles and wind/road noise, and a 2006 Mustang GT which is rather loud as well. I already have Sirius so I am just looking forward to getting great mileage and setting the cruise control which doesn't always work in the nissan.