1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long history of problems, incorrectly diagnosed at dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by addyju, Aug 22, 2017.

1. addyju

addyju New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi everybody, thanks for reading. This will be a long post because of the history of my car, a 2007 Prius with 140,000 miles. I commute each day to work, about 60 miles total.

I bought my car a year and a half ago, and drove for several months with no problems. About eight months ago, the check engine light came on. I took it to auozone and they said it was a general code that typically came on when the gas cap wasn't fitting correctly. Well, my gas cap got ran over a few weeks before this and I bought what was supposed to be the right one from online, but I noticed it didn't seem to click as tightly as my previous one. So this seemed likely to me. I kept driving it and for about three months the check engine light would come on after a fill up, and go off again after a few hours.

Fast forward to about five months ago, April 2017. I was driving home one day, and suddenly my dash went berserk. The red triangle, check engine light, ((!)), and hybrid system warning all came on. I was only a couple miles from home and made it home and immediately made an appointment at the local Toyota dealership. The next morning, all of the lights were gone except the check engine light. The dealership told me that the Catalytic converter needed replaced and quoted me at over $1000. I asked if that is what caused all the crazy warning lights to come on and they said yes. They said because of the age of my car, they wouldn't recommend replacing it, and I should instead just buy a new car. I told them that wasn't possible at the moment. They told me I could continue driving my car for now, and it wouldn't hurt the car or be dangerous to drive with the catalytic converter out. I continued to drive the prius on my 60 mile round trip commute. It would periodically, every week or so, flash the warning lights from before. Because of the incorrect information I was given, I was never concerned about it.

In later May, I went on a trip about 70 miles from my home. About 10 miles from my destination, my car lit up with the warning lights, but this time it started having mechanical issues, which had never happened before. The AC wasn't working, the brakes weren't performing correctly, and the car was shifting out of drive. I parked it nearby and it sat for three days. I then drove the Prius back home. It made it all the way home this time, but after that I decided not to drive it for long distances. I started driving my boyfriends car on my commute, and he drove my Prius back and forth to his job, which is about 3 miles away from our house. We have been dong this since May. He said that occasionally, on hot days, the lights would flash, but none of the other issues that happened on the long drive happened again. Last week, we were able to replace the catalytic converter. Up until this point, I assumed all issues were related to that because of what the dealership told me. My boyfriend continued driving the prius to work for a week after the replacement. The lights didn't come on again. I assumed it would be okay to drive on my commute at this point. This morning, I got about 10 miles from work, and all the warning lights came on. I was shocked to say the least. I took it to autozone, and the code "p0A93" came up. They said the inverter pump needed replaced. I googled the code and lo and behold, every single symptom my car had pointed to the inverter pump. I already ordered the new part, but my concern now I that we have been driving this care with a bad inverter pump for five months now! I am terrified to not only drive it home today, but also to find out what other damage we may have caused by driving it for the past five months! I am mainly looking for advice on what to check for as far as other damage that could have been done, and how to check for it.

SFO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not necessarily. replace the pump, check your 12v health, and see how she drives. you may need to clear the codes. if the dash lights up again, take it to another dealer, and ask them to read the codes, then post them here. all the best!(y)