1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long Inclines And Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ricochet2U, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One thing that might help a Prius in such conditions is running a K&N filter or similar set up--even if you wouldn't run them normally, they might make sense for high elevation operation. The engine is going to be able to do far less work at a given rpm so any reduction in pressure drop will mean more air into the engine (higher absolute pressure in the throttle body) and slightly more work than it could otherwise perform. What kills you at altitutude is that there is less pressure (partial pressure of oxygen) entering the engine per revolution.

Additionally, I suppose it would help to shut off the AC before the start of the climb and throughout. That would conserve traction battery.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With 4,500 miles, you probably still have:

• original oil level - dealers are notorious for over-filling the oil pan which reduces engine efficiency
    • tire pressure - a new Prius will leave the lot with 32 psi. Higher pressure, ideally the max side wall, will reduce rolling drag
    • tire alignment - we're finding cars off the lot are not always well aligned
    I'm sorry but taking the car back to the dealer will probably result in the same results.

Bob Wilson