1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long list of codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kimist, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Same 2007 prius I have been posting about before.
    So I bought the Autel AP200 as a flash deal on amazon for $50, and the codes it gave me are:

B1421
    P0A80
    P3018
    P3000
    C2123
    C2124
    C1259
    C1310

I researched a little about what these codes are/mean but I'm lost as to what my next steps should be? Should I wipe the codes and see what pops back up?

The last time we took it to the dealer, they quoted $2800 for a new battery. They also said there is something wrong electronically with the dash lights/sensors and that would cost over $1000 to fix, supposedly the thing that says how much gas is actually in the tank and etc. So we're looking at nearly $4k to repair a car worth $4k (according to the government when I paid the Ad Valorem to put it in my name).

For reference, he had someone come refurbish or balance the cells a few years back, and then took it to Florida where it sat generally unused. I believe he had a friend who would occasionally use it to run grocery trips, but it was pretty dead when he brought it to his home in Georgia. Since bringing it up here I have drove it a bit and haven't noticed anything wrong with it, generally. The AP200 says the battery charge was over 75% (if I was reading that right). I saved PDFs of the freeze frames if that's helpful. The same guy who worked on it before is willing to come out and work on it again, but he only works on batteries as far as I know.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You've really only got a traction battery issue and a couple tire pressure monitor issues.

B1421 only means the car wasn't in strong sun when you pulled the codes. That "trouble" code only exists so you can tell if the solar sensor works: in the sun, no code, out of sun, code.

P0A80 means there's a traction battery issue. P3018 is just saying where in the battery. P3000 is just the HV control ECU in the car saying "I hear there's a battery issue". C1259 and C1310 are the brake/skid ECU saying "heard from the HV control ECU there's some kind of issue."

And the C2123 and C2124 are tire pressure monitor codes. Seems like two of your tire pressure transmitters haven't been heard from lately.

Kimist likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The gas gauge fix is a few hundred at best. The hybrid battery in this model someone just needs to look under the hood in the back of the battery and see the corrosion the bus bar blackening and whatever's going on and come up with a plan to fix it if somebody doesn't want to put a new battery. A new battery is the way to go a refurbished battery if you have to. Something or do nothing and start all over again I possibly with another car but it will need similar very quickly too You're just at that point in the cars life and time. Of course good luck

Kimist likes this.
  4. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks y'all! I was getting a little lost with all the codes, but knew the primary concern was the battery. The OBD2 looks like it said that cell 8 is the problem, if I was reading correctly. So I think I'll forward this data to the guy who works on batteries and get a quote.

We are willing to shell out a bit for a new battery, but not the $2800. I've seen some after market ones, including some posted here, for $1600. Are those reliable, generally?
    The car itself is in pretty decent condition other than age and mileage so I would like to get a few years out of it until we can afford another car loan.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they've been out a few years, and so far so good in most cases.

have you called around to dealers for competitive pricing?

Kimist likes this.
  6. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I haven't yet, the dealer we use is one of the highest rated in the area (And I trust them generally, they worked on my corolla). So I know that quote is probably close to what everyone else will say. But I definitely will be doing some calls tomorrow now that I have codes.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    highly rated doesn't always mean lowest prices, but sometimes price is more regional. some people have been able to find them around $2,000.

Kimist likes this.
  8. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's still a little more than we were hoping to sink into this car. I will definitely call around and see, and get quotes from the mechanic my father in law had work on it before. I know I can fall back on the kit idea, my brother can probably help install one for the cost of a pizza! :D

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only problem with the $1,600. one has been supply and communication. read through the thread comments and keep your eyes open.
    replacing modules can work, but is often a short term solution

Kimist likes this.
  10. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I will definitely keep that in mind, thanks!

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're in the southeast United States along with me I'm in North Carolina highest rated Toyota dealer in Georgia yeah okay I can't go for that where are you in Fulton county? You need to get in touch with the hybrid doctor up in Fairfax Virginia He can hook you up for around 700 bucks and do a bang up job doing it too He does not play in South American and a good guy He did my generation 3 battery and my wife's been beating the hell out of the car ever since it got put in I think it was around 7:50 or something for a balanced rack of modules and we have had no problems and the person driving the car is not a car person at all in any degree. So look into the hybrid doctor give him a call He might can make a run up there or meet him halfway or something I don't know if you have somebody in your corner that can change out the battery things like that kind of like doing a golf cart if you will That's the best way I can equate it for the area you're in.

12. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'll look him up. I'm not in Fulton County, though. Closer to Atlanta, so I'm sure there are people near by. I just meant the dealer 10 minutes down the road is the best in my county, not necessarily Georgia. They only charged me $80 to fix my Corolla before Covid.
    I think the guy my father in law uses quoted 1300, I'm gonna have him call again now that we have the codes. He either doesn't have a reader or didn't want to make the trip out until we had codes, not sure.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're closer to Atlanta than Fulton county Fulton county is Atlant I believe. Or it was when I lived at fort McPherson in the '70s and early '80s. I do not know what happened to the new south big city since then but I think Fulton county has you covered The hybrid doctor will meet people in the south a lot he'll send a driver down to say upper North Carolina in places like that to meet people You have to talk to them and see what they can do He also sells on eBay racks of modules balance to within three Delta for like $700 That's a reasonable deal I think.

14. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry, I always get Fulton and Forsyth mixed up, I'm more north of Atlanta but still commuting distance. We're calling around today to see what we can do.

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There should be some franchise folks in your area green tech green bean etc I try to stay away from that as much as possible but if I guess I had no other choice or my other choice would be to rebuild my battery in my driveway but you know I replace d cells in my mag light I'm assuming I'm going to put a new battery in my Prius of some sort rebuilt is the last measure that means I'm either looking to get rid of the car in short order or something else is going on who buys used batteries as far as I know nobody that's the point the batteries expired.

16. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I know a part store that takes used hybrid batteries and gives you a discount towards the new refurbished ones. So they take old batteries, rebuild, and resell. But the cost was $2k before the rebate from sending in the battery, and the discount was only $500. So I'm looking at $1500 for a refurbished battery with a 2 year warranty I have to install myself.
    The guy my father in law talked to quoted about $1200 to fix the battery, but I'm not sure if that was just balancing/refurbishing, or new. He hasn't gotten back to us yet after telling him the codes.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A shop that can really do this well we'll have about $30,000 worth of equipment in the shop of electrical equipment testing equipment charging equipment All of that stuff that stuff can also be used on electric cars and other electric vehicle type things like you see on corporate campuses and stuff All of these things are very similar somewhat to a golf cart You have a bunch of batteries wired together to make a certain voltage to run an electric motor to propel you down the course or whatever very similar the chemical makeup of all the batteries whether they're lithium ion or nickel metal hydride or lead acid liquid really isn't so much a thing it's how they're wired the voltage they're going to produce when they're all wired together etc The Prius is like a 211 volt system so people doing this in their garage and what have you are generally playing what people like to refer to as a game of whack-a-mole and I don't know if I would pay $12 $1,300 to play that game The place that I'm talking about will do it for you for about seven or eight and send you the modules to your door You might want to look him up talk to him He's a nice guy he'll talk on the phone.

18. Kimist

Kimist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The $1500-2000 refurb definitely comes from one of those shops, I looked up the company name and trust the parts retailer they work through (same place my dad always gets his parts before he stopped working on his own cars).
    I did google him, but the only one I saw was a place in VA with a 1 star yelp review. Would you mind sharing his info either here or in a DM?

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know you can buy a brand new Toyota battery for $1635 to $1950 from a dealer, don't you? You might need to shop around a few dealers to get them and of course that is a DIY install. I don't think the prices you're quoting are very attractive for a used second-hand battery.

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pinging @TMR-JWAP as this could be within range

Kimist likes this.