1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Long-Range EVs Are The Antithesis Of Efficiency And Sustainability

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prius Pete, Jun 20, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We’ll have to agree to disagree on this:
    • Salt oceans - have everything needed. A little expensive to mine but huge quantities.
    • Increase prices and there are clever people who will find and supply.
    Bob Wilson

3PriusMike likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    maybe 1½ decades ago, it was Art spinella who was commissioned to "prove" that a Hummer was more clean than a Prius from Cradle to grave
    Prius Versus HUMMER: Exploding the Myth - The Car Connection
    ........ deja vu
    all we ever learn from history is that we never learn anything from history.

#42 hill, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    austingreen and Prius Maximus like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you are retired and still want the freedom to go where you want to go and afford, you want a car with Tesla+SuperCharger performance.

Bob Wilson

t_newt likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What was the wrong lithium chemistry they backed?

5. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if hybrids were selling, i'd agree they might be a faster way to co2 reduction. but even then, the article is wrong, he starts with a false premise

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    except boeing...

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe they would do better making cars.

10. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [​IMG]
    Hybrids are selling. Global Toyota/Lexus hybrid sales are up 27% year over year in April. Cumulative 2019 sales to April are up 12%. In North America, their 2019 hybrid sales are down 8.8% so far but I expect the new RAV4 Hybrid and Corolla Hybrid will change that. April NA sales of electrified vehicles were up 21.6% YOY.

(data downloaded from Sales, Production, and Export Results | Sales, Production, and Export Results | Profile | Company | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website) . Includes HEV, PHEV and FCV but mostly HEV.

#50 Prius Pete, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i'm often very parochial. hybrids not selling here, ev's are selling here. demand is more important than supply.
    toyota once said, 'no one is knocking on our door, asking us to build a bev'. i think if they looked at sales, they might overcome their deafness.

cue john1701 to tell us that dealers create demand, and dealers don't want to sell bev's. well, that's a problem. another check for tesla. i guess they knew it before anyone else.

worldwide, that's good news

will rav4h change the dynamic? i hope so, but i'm concerned it will only make up for more lost prius sales.

meanwhile, tesla is crushing it. and i think other bev's would do better with more models and availability

Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  13. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota hybrid sales benefit from the demise of diesel outside of NA. Toyota has been a small player in places like Europe and Australia, but now their sales are growing there -- mostly hybrids: CHR Hybrid, Corolla Hatchback (Auris) Hybrid, Yaris Hybrid. In regions like Latin America, hybrid sales are only now starting to grow. In NA, Toyota has always been big and hybrids caught on earlier. Early adopters here have been moving to plug-ins but, hopefully, the mainstream will increasingly chose hybrids over conventional. In much of the world, gas is expensive and diesels were the solution. They are only now really discovering Toyota hybrids. There is a lot of room for growth.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Part of the demise of diesel is that Toyota stopped offering them in Europe.

15. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree with your characterization of Seeking Alpha writers.
    However, it is also true that highly paid analysts also make some of the same "mistakes" or try to manipulate the market with the same "facts."

Mike

Raytheeagle and bwilson4web like this.
  16. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Diesel killed itself with its own cancer-causing emissions. Toyota 2018 total sales were only 800K out of 13M in Europe and few of those were ever diesel. Toyota is a small, but growing, player in Europe.

Toyota/Lexus hybrid percentage of total sales in Europe went from 24% in 2015 to 32% in 2016 -- clearly due to the diesel emissions fraud. Their hybrid sales surpassed the US in 2016 with 280K. Cumulative 2019 hybrid sales in Europe are 51% of Toyota/Lexus total sales. Top region for hybrid sales is Japan with 239K Jan-Apr 2019 (42% of total Toyota/Lexus Japan sales). North America hybrid sales lag at 8% of Toyota/Lexus sales so far in 2019 but April sales are double January sales due to the RAV4 Hybrid. I expect the Corolla Hybrid to cause a further jump.

Toyota global hybrid sales are growing rapidly. I expect they can soon exceed 50% of total their 10M yearly sales. Toyota is right to concentrate now on hybrids, even if it means fewer EVs.

17. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hate VW, the arrogant, self-righteous, lying, murdering assholes.

Japan's hydrogen plan calls for H2 production from brown coal gasification. I believe this involves carbon capture. Yes, a green car can run on coal!

#57 Prius Pete, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
    bisco and john1701a like this.
  18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well again we should not appeal to the authority of peterson, he has been incorrect a lot in the past and it is with this same idea, that battery capacity can not be greatly increased without battery costs shooting up a great deal. Or even a stupider idea that we can't ever make enough batteries. He was making this argument in 2012 as you can see from my previously linked article. Again going to likely battery usage in the next decade Bloomberg estimates that we will use less than 1% of raw materials like lithium in battery production as battery costs will continue to shrink. Now toyota is in a little of a bind 3 years ago they were telling everyone plug-ins wouldn't sell so they did not invest in either partnering for battery production or building their own. It takes about 3 years to get battery production up. They have changed there tune. Car design takes about 5 years so it will take about 5 years from whenever they started to get there act together and sell a lot of plug-ins. Until then they need to push what they have production for which is hybrids with plenty of nimh production, as they are selling many fewer hybrids than they were in 2013.
    Toyota Concedes Defeat On Battery Cars, But Will Hedge With Hybrids, Fuel Cells

Absolutely solid state batteries may be the next step. Panasonic toyota's partner said last year it would take a decade to commercialize. That means around 2028 at the earliest. I am glad toyota is pushing ahead with some of today's technology to build 1M plug-ins a year by 2025. I say plug-ins even though toyota says plug-ins and fuel cells because we all know toyota will be producing less than 100,000 fcv in 2025, and it may be in the few thousands a year that they are doing today. This is a big speed up, and means they are not waiting for solid state to join others in the plug-in market place in a big way. In the mean time tesla is planning on using maxwell technology to increase energy density of their cells to 300 wh/kg. A european battery company has a demo battery with inorganic electrolyte that they claim won't need fire protection and will get to 1000 wh/kg in a bev. That wouldn't be in a car until the 2025 timeframe. We don't know what is coming but we do know battery prices will fall and they will become lighter for similar energy levels. Its a trend that has been happening for over 100 years.

Innolith Battery Strikes at 'Flammable' Lithium-Ion: Q&A | BloombergNEF

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The pollutant of concern with the recent cheating was NOx. It is bad, but not a carcinogen. The particulates are, but DPFs have gotten levels from diesel cars down below that of gas cars. If the EPA limits for particulates were applied to gasoline vehicles, many would need exhaust filters too.They've delayed implementation, but Europe will be requiring them. Toyota's complicated, port and direct injection system on their new engines is an attempt to avoid needing an exhaust filter.

Diesel had an easy ride in Europe. Emission regulations for it and gasoline are less strict than in the US, who penalizes diesels more. Europe also had lower taxes on diesel. They did switch to ULSD years before we did in the US, which lowered particulates and other emissions in the existing fleet. If their regulators hadn't been beholden to their auto industry, diesel emission control technology would be farther along.

But that didn't happen, and much of the car companies there cheated to some degree. VWs may have been the lowest offenders there. that created a public backlash, but diesels still sell. The backlash is only part of the reason why Toyota hybrid sales are growing. The other is that Toyota selling them, so past diesel customers' choice was gas, hybrid, or go to someone else.

Note that research group saying hybrids are the best way of lowering carbon emissions also say switching non-hybrid gas cars to diesels is another good tactic.

Personally, I think diesels have better options from switching to renewable fuel.

Or it moves Japan's carbon emissions to Australia.

A kilogram of hydrogen is currently under $10 in Japan. The amount that is renewable or used carbon sequestering for that price is unknown, nor what subsidies. So the question is how much will this sequestered CO2, dirty coal source increase the price.
    [Hydrogen Korea] Japan paves way for hydrogen future, but public unconvinced

Japan's original plan of running electrolyzers with nuclear power was much better. The plants could have been run at peak efficiency for longer periods, and there would be less pollution and damage from mining and transportation of materials.

wxman likes this.
  20. That plus super-capacitor technology would really help in the super cold winters, it gets to -20C and a few meters of snow and ice each season. Imagine 500 mile recharge in 15 minutes while heating your car and it’s snowing... and your car has a built-in mocha dispenser... well that depends on the subscription :D