1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long SF-VA trip with 87xx ft climb I-80

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ccna101, Sep 21, 2019.

1. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yep, I've driven up Mt. Evans with mine. Starting in HV mode at the top I was able to drive a little over 60 miles using only gravitational potential energy (in other words on the way down it recovered enough energy to charge from empty to around 80%, then since the drive back to Denver is mostly downhill I was able to drive a long way on that 80%. Of course it used a lot of gas to get up to the top).

At 14,000 feet there's about 42% less air than at sea level, so naturally aspirated engines make about 42% less power. Last time I was at Pike's Peak I saw several "test mule" cars in camo. I see test mule cars in summit county all the time, and there's a cold weather test facility at the bottom of Berthoud pass.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  2. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you haven't left yet and still have time for this gadget to get shipped to you, buy it for piece of mind...

I'm still in the middle of an almost 1400 mile round trip & I have found this "Real Time" TPMS gauge very valuable to have.

www.amazon.com/Jansite-Monitoring-Universal-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B07TSXXZJM/ref=pd_sbs_263_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07TSXXZJM&pd_rd_r=e22a252e-e42e-4ab7-b06f-cedc0c0cae0c&pd_rd_w=SKYxw&pd_rd_wg=IoQsC&pf_rd_p=d66372fe-68a6-48a3-90ec-41d7f64212be&pf_rd_r=D4SCQBPSBYPJXEVEYC91&psc=1&refRID=D4SCQBPSBYPJXEVEYC91

Rob43

ccna101 likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure timing of the trip, but I always hit weather (often winter weather) in the mountains between Pittsburgh and DC. Usually this time of year OK but certainly by Nov it is hit and miss, usually get hit one way or the other.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got this which allows me to check all cars...not real time though except when you take the reading. But I get the TPMS ID code, batt condition, and other stuff. Guess we gotta be TPMS experts now.

ccna101 likes this.
  5. ccna101

ccna101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Rob,
    No, not yet but thanks .. it bit late for this trip and I am old-school: I do a walk through, manually check tire pressure during each gas re-fill, and stretch out,bla-bla-bla ...

I do have obd2-wifi + bluetooth and connect with torque app to see few thing for diagnosis, but have not able to feel the need for long trip like this, will see how thing fan out ...

I will be leaving before the cold, and even with winter, I-80 are well travel and I will take it any day over rural roads .

-E-

6. BillKoz

BillKoz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Get a temporary spare! You can not depend on fixing a flat with a plug.

7. ccna101

ccna101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    morning,
    I report back for the trip so hope will get some of ya get on the road with more mpg and rest :)

1. Road noise between difference part of the Interstates: this is beyond 97db folks, you will not hear you passengers speaking ! for a few moments, I thought the engine/motor/whatever are acting up but thing are smoother and back to the regular, typical quite ride you been getting ... so be prepare !
    2. Using your app for gas availability: folks, this is 2019, I installed gasbuddy app on my phone and it plan ahead and tell me what station to get gas for cheap, and how far ...with this and all the -ranges- display on our Prius, I can not believe we still talking about gas can, but I am sure we can extend the range to , say 700 miles ? ;)
    3. Forget about typical 60mph so 300 miles will take you 5 hrs: you will have to deal with multiple road constructions and 10 miles stretch may be 50 minutos driving and dodging holes... Be prepare for longer time to your destination: I do not think this relate to toll road or not, since both need some TLC during the summer.
    4. The 1.8L engine is really "climbing" the hill without the battery help and I do not think even with a full charge will help ( 30 miles ?) ... The girl make it to the top fine and I think I was lucky with the road construction along the way, I do not think I can push interstate traffic (75-80mph) with a low/empty battery up a typical 6% grade for say 20-30 minutes climb ... the engine is definitely screaming on my end... Some of you with a CO/WA mountains can test it out and prove me wrong ... I will report back with an RPM .ba
    5. MPG is mixed as I expected ... anywhere between 51-58
    6. No pictures, except some wonderful corn field,windmill along WY,NE,MO.
    7. IN,OH,WV and MD great us with pouring of rain, with is a blessing for the trip as the car will need to be wash and clean up soon .. no issue with the tire/ wet condition.
    8. Do not speed along MD,VA interstate unless you know where they have speed trap with photo radar... I know this since now I live in the area.

I will add more but that is all for now...

-E-

Elektroingenieur and Dimitrij like this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We can't test that much, there is no such grade mountain grade highway in North America. :)

75 mph at 6% for 20 minutes means nearly 8000 feet of climb. While there are climbs that high, they are not high speed freeways. 80 mph for 30 minutes means well over 12,000 feet of climb, simply no such thing.

#28 fuzzy1, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  9. ccna101

ccna101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I may be way off, but I drove this baby I-80 Donner summit multiple times within the last 20 years to Lake Tahoe for sky/snowboard .

[​IMG]

Link :Donner Pass - Wikipedia

Now, I am no longer in SF area so I can not validate this on my 2020 Prius plugin, bur I am sure there are multiple Prius owners in the area can take it for a summer ride ...

-E-

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Donner summit is 7100 feet above Roseville.

7100 feet climb in 75 miles is an average slope of 1.8%, not 6%.

Now if you are planning to travel that 75 miles in just 20-30 minutes :eek:, then we can talk ...

#30 fuzzy1, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For reference, here is my best shot at drawing a 6% slope line on the above chart of I-80 elevation vs distance:

I-80_altitude_profile.png

Yes, certain short sections do have nearly 6% slopes. But these sections are short, and interspersed by 'rest breaks' on much shallower slopes.

12. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    FWIW the elevation of Roseville is 164 ft above sea level. We are right at the edge of the Sierra foothills.

13. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I-80? Make this a real trip to remember and take US-50 across Nevada!

fuzzy1 likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And even though this is labeled "The Loneliest Highway in America", you can take even lonelier side trips, such as #722 from about Middlegate to Austin. When we took this alternate route on our first Highway 50 pass, we saw just 3 cars go by on the entire 722 section, while we took a scenic stop for a picnic lunch. And ironically, the 3 were traveling in a tight cluster, one leader with 2 tailgaters. o_O

Don't miss the visible fault scarps from the major 1954 Dixie Valley earthquake, and the Great Basin National Park near the Utah border.

15. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Two things I would recommend.
    Charge mode works better for me under 40 mph.
    When I'm on long trips I keep the car in HV with a full charge. The pack never seems to discharge much, 10% at most and usually charges back up to full automatically.
    In HV mode I look for low 70's mpg on long trips.

How ever you choose to drive your Prime I wish you a safe enjoyable trip.