1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long term cost of ownership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob64, Apr 9, 2007.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bob64,

Seems like your parents are doing this on a strict economic evaluation. For an equivalent size car, the Prius is a good deal if your driving allows for the mileage advantage. But they are not looking at a car that is the size equivalent to the Prius.

There is a significant hit in the mileage for the first 5 minutes of operation. Same with other cars, but its not like a 50 percent reduction in performance like it is with the Prius. Toyota could change that, but the car would be more polluting. Still that 50 percent mileage hit for the first 5 minutes is going to be better than 75 percent of the cars on the road, even when the other cars on the roard are fully warmed up! If all the car is driven is 5 minutes and stop for a long time, you really need an electric car. The Prius and standard cars are not the appropriate tool. Still, plenty of people drive just like that, and use standard cars.

How far do your parents drive their car each day? My guestimate is about 15 miles one-way for the commute results in a good Prius situation which should yield in the high 40's to low 50's mpg results. The warm climate there is an advantage (faster engine warmup). A 5 mile commute is probably not an economic advantage for the Prius over a smaller car which will be sufficiently comfortable during that short trip. My specific situation is that the car is giving at least 20 mpg better performance than my old Saturn SL2 (in all weather and all speeds). Thats about $500 dollars gas consumption savings each year for me. With the now expired federal $3000 tax credit, its been a good deal. I drive about 50 miles a work day.

Godiva went down the list of the maitanance advantages the Prius has. And these are some serious money. You might not realize this having not been responsible for keeping a car running for more than 5 years. Over 100,000 miles, brakes service in a standard car is $1000.00 plus , unless you do them yourself. In the Prius brake wear maintenance is nothing for well over 100,000 miles. Some low-cost cars (probably not the Corrola) have either automatic transmission rebuilds or clutch replacements, which is like $2000 to $3000 for the automatic transmission and about $750 for the clutch. I have done the clutch jobs on front and rear wheel drive small cars, and if your not set up to do them, and do not have a helper at critical times, these jobs are nothing but misery. The Prius transmission is very different and the concept has proven very robust.

Its unfortunate about the Tax situation. It makes it very difficult to buy something that will last. Better quality cost more up front, and your county tax puts you at a disadvantage for that situation. Are there allot of junkyards there? Although, the Prius does have the interior room of a $20K plus sedan, which it is. Possibly the county board will consider a Hybrid tax reduction?

2. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 9 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]420406[/snapback]</div>

true, I just felt like bashing the IRS cause of current tax season :rolleyes: