1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long Term Effects of E85 on "Rubber" Bladder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cellculturist, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cellculturist

cellculturist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello PriusChat,

Ever since purchasing my Prius, I've never hesitated to browse these forums when in doubt, and I'm thankful to all of you for having taught me so much. A lot of you post great info, and I will try to do the same.

I would like this post/thread to be an informative one. Many threads have arisen regarding E85. After reading them all, I haven't been able to form a solid yes or no as to whether or not the 'rubber' tank bladder in our beloved US market second gen Prii can withstand gasoline fuel with a higher ethanol content than 10% (E10), for a prolonged period of time. I've found many threads to contain many opinions and predictions, warning of pricey repair costs, with little to no actual empirical evidence.

I found others in foreign countries (no bladder) use higher ethanol content gasolines successfully. This tells me that all but the tank bladder has been tested.

I'll use my Prius as a guinea pig.

Before some jump on me warning me of expensive repair bills, I fully understand the risks of my actions.

Again, I fully understand the risks of my actions.

I'm lucky enough to have worked as a mechanic for some years, have a source of cheap OEM parts at a local stealership, and have had the experience of working as an engineer for multiple automotive manufacturers.

Current state of affairs that may be relevant:
    • 2008 Prius Touring, US/California model. I bought it new in fall/winter 2007.
    • 62.5k miles (While this is my daily driver, I don’t end up putting too many miles on it since I own many other cars).
    • 53MPG for the last 25k miles, as per the MFD readout (I will calculate my MPG manually once I start using E85).
    • I try to keep TPS values between 19 and 23 on the freeway, as per a ScanGauge II. The car is babied around, although I did participate in an autocross with it once, since my autocross car was out of order at that moment.
    • Every tank has been filled with Shell 87 (AKI) octane (sometimes Chevron when no Shell is available), with up to 10% ethanol (E10). Yes, every single tank.
    • Car has been maintained by myself with exclusively OEM Toyota parts and fluids (other than an Optima yellow top). It's great having a parts hookup, although it hasn't needed much honestly! :-D
    • Oil changes started out at 2.5k mile intervals. I realized that was extreme overkill and have moved to 5k intervals. Used 5W-30 Toyota branded oil. As of a few changes, I now use 0W-20 Toyota synthetic.
    • Oil filters have always been TRD.
    • Air filters replaced at 10k intervals.
    • Transmission fluid replacement at 35k.
    • Spark plugs and PCV replaced at 50k.
    • Still on the original Bridgestone Potenzas, although they are close to the wear markers. 50PSI on all four corners for the last 30 or 40k.
    • Tanabe lowering springs, tanabe strut tower brace, and a couple more underbody braces installed.
    • Large free-flowing muffler installed as a practical joke by friends. Sounds great so I ended up keeping it. Not a fart can, actually a decent muffler. Whether or not the less back pressure is better or worse for mileage, I don't know. Instinct tells me better but I have heard otherwise.
    • Long term fuel trim is at 0.7%, as per a recent Techstream readout.

Will soon be installing a Change2E85 kit (made by Fuel Flex International). No other ethanol related mods will be installed, at the moment.

I will try to document as much as I can as I go along and will post to the thread when convenient, whether or not the car runs well or blows up in flames. I will let you all know. Expect an update regarding my first couple of tanks in the next few weeks once I get the kit installed.

ctedeschi and 'LectroFuel like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For those tempted to play along in the home game, Toyota specifically warns against more than 10 % ethanol on all Prius, rubber bladder or no.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If the rubber blather disintegrates at least you can then fully fill the gas tank

mmmodem and cellculturist like this.
  4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool experiment! As the Prius is designed for and is by all accounts perfectly happy with gasoline with 10% ethanol in it, I don't see any reason any part of the fuel system would have a problem with E85, especially in the "short term" (a couple of years). It's possible that there are parts of the fuel system that could degrade 8.5x faster due to the higher ethanol concentration, but this seems unlikely. As it hasn't been tested (or at least I haven't seen testing of it), there's no real way to know its effects except to try it. As you work on cars, it won't be a big deal if something fails anyway.

If I understand the kit correctly, it uses larger fuel injectors to deliver the ~1.3x more fuel required to generate the same power output as would be required by normal gas. Obviously this will result in more wear and tear on your stock fuel pump. You might do a sanity check and look up the stock fuel pump capacity to ensure that the it can comfortably handle the additional fuel flow (probably 99% chance it does). This is more of an issue for people who use forced induction combined with E85, but you don't want any chance of the car going lean the first time you put the pedal down in a significant way, which can melt cylinders.

I think your bigger issue may be getting the computer to play friendly with your new setup. When the Prius goes from stage 3 to stage 4 warm up stage, it does some engine tuning. Only Toyota knows exactly what the computer is calculating, but I believe it tunes the fuel injector and ignition timings to how the engine is behaving on that given day to squeeze out those extra few percent of efficiency that most car makers throw away in a margin of safety (to keep from misfiring, etc). For this reason the Prius ECU tends to be more sensitive than in other cars. Your injectors may work perfectly on the first try or you may start immediately throwing codes. It will be exciting to hear what happens on your first startup!

5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting project, thanks for trying it out! Will look forward to updates! (y)

6. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I've just installed the kit, and have a 50% E10, and 50% E85 mix in the tank. (Installation instructions said to run the first tank 50/50, and then go all E85 from then on. So far, I haven't noticed a performance difference with the 50/50 mix. The car seems happy.

Here is a link to a video showing the tops of my pistons, just before installing the kit.

I also drained a small amount of engine oil to send in for analysis, to get a baseline for how the engine is wearing with E10. After running E85 for a few oil changes, I'll send in another sample for analysis.

Almost. This kit is only software based. A small computer interfaces between our stock ECU and the injectors. It keeps our stock injectors open slightly longer, delivering more fuel. Our injector should be able to handle the extra duty cycles.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if i may ask, what is the purpose of the experiment?

8. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, but why?

edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The ability to hold on, without leaking, as age sets in is a valuable achievement, even if alcohol were not involved . . .

prius_chatter and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're telling me. i hit every roadside stop from boston to ft myers.:oops:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    after you roach the stupid bladder with all that ethanol, then you can be the first to figure out how to modify the fuel tank to remove the bladder without throwing a CEL. I would pay good money for a European fuel tank if I thought I could get it to work. it seems to me if our politicians weren't a pack of useless idiots, there would be one worldwide emissions standard.

13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    One first world emissions standard and one first world crash and materials spec standard.

Or at the very least reciprocity...
    In my mind Reagans gray market laws should be banned on the import of a used car from a first world country by an individual.
    If I want to import a 1993 Honda beat I should be able to without any major tests or mods required.

14. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been said that ethanol does not play nice with many elastomers, either disintegrating them or drying them out. I think this is more the case with older components. I take it modern fuel system components designed for prolonged E10 use should withstand E85, but I just don't know. Hence the experiment.

I wondered this too! I'd switch over in a heartbeat if I knew how to! If my bladder goes, I will definitely consider figuring out how to swap in a European market tank.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah...right after everybody decides which side of the road to drive on, and they ditch the bloody metric system.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...and then I'd let you convert mine. Are we exempt from emission inspections forever in VA with 2006? or just 10 years.

17. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :LOL: It would be much easier to ditch the Imperial system instead. The metric system is much easier to use when converting quantities.

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's probably some wires going to the fuel cell that are looking for a short or an open for the bladder.
    Wouldn't it be easier to spoof the bladder=OK reading???

Tried and failed.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm still not understanding the purpose of the experiment. just curiosity? i know, i'm a bit thick.(n)

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US, I'd say the usual reasons are either pro-ethanol and/or anti-oil personal feelings.
    In EU, it can be for lower fuel costs due to their very high gaso taxes.
    I am thinking @WEOH might have made the conversion years ago, maybe on a Gen3 with solid tank.
    I do not recall anyone ever saying the Gen2 bladder tank was unable to handle E85, but who knows.
    Thinking Bob Wilson has experience so we need to get Bob to chime in.

Did Gen1 Prius also have bladder tank or is that just Gen2?