1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long Term Effects of E85 on "Rubber" Bladder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cellculturist, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cellculturist

cellculturist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that link!

iPhone ?

mjoo likes this.
  2. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe he'll find high wear rates on his 5,000 mile corny oil sample then stop pumping in the corn. He's a mechanic. So what's the big deal?

I'm grabbing me some popcorn...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

cellculturist and Samprocat like this.
  3. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello again. I have some updates, although not terribly exciting! The car is running well.

As per the E85 kit installation manual, the first tank I ran was 50/50 E85/Gas. Instead of my normal 500 miles per tank, I got 400 (to be expected due to the lower energy content.

I’ve run 100% E85 for 150 miles. So far, no ill effects, and no noticeable difference in performance. Drives like a Prius!

Attached is the first engine oil analysis. The oil had 2100 miles on it, and had only seen E10 gas, no ethanol at this point.

Once I change the oil again, I will run E85 for 4500 miles or so, and perform another analysis.

m.wynn and valde3 like this.
  4. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far looks good!

Doesn't E85 cool the engine compared to running gasoline? If so - I'd try blocking the radiator to help bring the engine oil up to operating temp faster. Ethanol boils around 165° F at atmosphere. A warmer engine will help drive off the fuel dilution.

Do you have a scangauge?

#44 mjoo, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are you running the Torque app or any other device to see what your AFR is? Running 100% E85 and not maxing out the injectors - did the Change2E85 add an additional injector pulse to compensate for the 30% more fuel? Have you lost any power to pass? Seat of the pants dyno feel the same as running standard octane fuel?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They built a WaWa real close to me 3 years ago and they sell non ethanol gas.
    That's all I have put in the car for the last 3 years. Car runs great and have taken a minor mileage hit maybe
    1 mpg. I'm already in the Mileage dumper as I run softer psi for nicer ride and Red Line 10-30 oil
    That is essentially 40 weight oil at temp and the car spends most of its life at 75 mph s.

So the mfd gauge is stuck on 43 mpgs for about 3 years. Red line trans fluid since birth. Now at 110k miles.

m.wynn likes this.
  7. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, there was/is a fellow in MN who had a LETTER from Toyota NA stating that he had their permission to use E85 in his Gen2 for testing purposes, he was a degreed engineer on his third purchased new Prius and had done extensive research on the commonality of parts with E85 approved models.

8. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some updates. I just went through my first tank of E85. Car runs great. MFD is still reading 50+ MPG although manual calcs say 40MPG. If I can maintain 40MPG, I'll be quite happy.

FYI, I'll be driving a slight amount less this year, as my employer started paying for my Uber trips. As cheap as it is to run an E85 Prius, getting a free ride in someone else's car is even cheaper.

Something to note, that perhaps more of you have noticed with your Prii as well. Ever since I bought the car, even brand new, the ICE would produce a tiny hiccup, almost like a miss, about one or two seconds after it turned on. Just one. Then all would be normal. It would be hard to tell if you weren't listening for it. Someone not "in tune" with the car would have a tough time hearing it if I pointed it out to them.

Since using E85, I still have the miss, although it is now more pronounced. Engine can be warm or cold, doesn't matter. As soon as its powered on for the very first time in that IG-ON "cycle", it misses once. After that its normal. Again, I've always had this, but using E85 makes it much more noticeable.

I am not using Torque. I have a ScanGauge though. I'm not sure if it reads AFR. If I got an OBD splitter, could I run my ScanGauge and an OBD-bluetooth adapter for Torque on my phone? My gut tells me the car would not know what do.
    I don't think it adds a pulse. I believe it makes the pulses longer.
    Have lost no power at all.
    Pants dyno feels exactly the same. I know the Prius very well and notice no difference at all. Low and high RPMs feel the same as straight gas.
    I've thought about this a lot! I'll need to make something before next winter. It's warming up now, but it got into the 40's just a couple weeks ago. (Although not cold for most, it's Ice Age temps for us SoCal weenies). Warm up time is definitely increased during cold nights here, since I perform a lot of night highway driving. However, I have noticed no difference in warm up time using E85. Like states earlier, I can't tell the difference, other than in fuel mileage.
    Yes, I love it.
    That's awesome! I would love to find that.

9. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another update for everyone!

Since switching to E85, I've driven about 4500 miles. Averaging 40.2 MPG makes me quite happy. The car runs great, indistinguishable from E10, except for that more pronounced hiccup I had mentioned before.

Additionally, I've performed my first oil change since running E85. The oil smelled very different than any other oil I've encountered. Could definitely smell the E85 leaving its mark in the oil. Sweet & sour. Of course, I sent the oil out for analysis. Results attached.

Analysis results are great, no different than the E10 analysis, other than some more sodium, which I can't explain at the moment. We'll see how the next one goes.

This "experiment" was not to see how my engine wears. It was to see whether or not the bladder will hold up. However, it's nice to see the engine is fine. Seeing that the car is running very well, I take it the bladder is okay for now.

None
    None
    None
    How does this engine work? Other than burning air and hydrocarbons?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Black stone is somewhat worthless as they do not do a tan test. That's the most important thing.
    Lubeguard.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    40 MPG is great but I guess we do not know % ethanol to associate that with, and also need to know if that is your display reading or actual tanks. And we do not know if you are a hypermiler driver capable of impressive MPG in any case .

If you got 50 MPG with regular E10 gaso, we might expect around 35 MPG with 100% ethanol.
    But you are not using 100% ethanol so we'd probably expect a little better than 35MPG.

12. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is WAY more complicated than that.

E85 has almost exactly 2/3 the energy per gallon of neat gasoline (87 UNL), Assuming you could get 50 MPG under controlled conditions in a G2, you *should* only be able to achieve ~33.33 MPG under identical conditions with E85. Mileage WILL be higher than that, significantly because the ECU can adjust to some degree and also it can take advantage of the greater octane rating of E85.

The bladder is what worries me.

13. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just sent an oil sample from my latest oil run. Will post results upon receiving them. Car is running great, with a 40.9MPG average.

They do if asked to. I'll have them check TAN this time around, as I was not aware of TAN. Seeing that TBN is still quite high, my guess is TAN should be nice and low. We shall see.

Today's E85 is 51-83% ethanol, blended depending on temperature. The stickers on the pumps here say minimum 70% ethanol. Seeing that ambient temps have been 80-100˚F in my current location, my guess is the stickers are accurate.

As per original post, these are actual tanks. The MFD is wildly incorrect since starting E85 use.

As per original post, I average 53MPG on E10. I can hypermile to some degree.

It's what worries me too, but so far all seems well.

14. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    53 MPG down to 40.9 MPG is roughly a 23% drop in fuel economy. That's rather significant.

15. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Using E0 gas as baseline, E10 has 98% the energy density by volume, and E85 has 72% of the energy density. Hence, a mileage drop of 26%-28% is expected. Seeing that it's only dropped 23%, I am happy.

Note that E85 has been $2.39 a gallon here lately, and my E10 has been around $3.10, which is a 23% reduction in price. Matches my mileage difference exactly.

16. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the latest report from Blackstone, with both TAN and TBN readings. Everything keeps looking great.

edthefox5, what's a good range for TAN values?

I may skip the next oil sample, since all results indicate the ICE doesn't seem to care about the switch to E85. The main experiment here is to test the bladder. Only time will tell. So far so good.

m.wynn and mjoo like this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    3.7 is good. When it gets to the 2 something then it's having life issues.
    Do they include a color with that number? Lubeguard goes from green to yellow to red. I think 3.7 is good so would be green.

18. cellculturist

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you may have TAN/TBN swapped. Im pretty sure we want high TBN and low TAN, indicating oil with life remaining.

A TAN level of 2 would mean oil with very low use, right?

edthefox5 likes this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My recollection is a low tan number means acid is detected and has low life. It's been a while so I may be wrong.
    I will revisit tan and tbn.

20. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Total Acid Number is the measurement of acidity. Total Base Number is the measurement of basicity. Low TAN= good. High TBN=good

Pixel XL ?

edthefox5 likes this.