1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long Term Effects of E85 on "Rubber" Bladder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cellculturist, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes your are correct mojo. It's been a few years since I have thought about it. My trans uoa' s are in the trans stickys.
    I remember my tan said 2 and was in yellow.

So a tan of 3.7 is not good.

mjoo likes this.
  2. cellculturist

cellculturist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All, a quick update. The car now has 85.5k miles, which is 23k miles on E85 exclusively. It still runs like the day it rolled out of the stealership. So, for now, no noticeable effects on the tank bladder. Once I get to 100k I'll replace my spark plugs and PCV valve, which will be a great opportunity to take another peek at the cylinders with the endoscope. I will continue to keep you updated as time goes on.

Also, I recently moved, and my commute has changed significantly. I now put 100 steep and curvy mountainous miles on the car on a daily basis. No flat ground nor ability to hypermile. Ambient temps between 32˚F and 59˚F. Hence, my mileage has dropped from 40-41 MPG to 35-39 MPG.

edthefox5, I believe we are barking up the wrong tree when it comes to TAN. After some research, TAN measurements are mainly used for hydraulic oils. Crankcase oils on the other hand, can benefit more from TBN tests. In fact, it seems as if some virgin oils can even start with a TAN value well above 0.

Additionally, comparing a TAN value from a transmission oil to that of one of an engine oil is like comparing apples and oranges (i.e. oranges are more acidic). Even comparing a TAN value of one type of engine oil to that of a different engine oil would not be valid. Hence a transmission oil TAN value does not have much purpose in this thread. While I do think more info is a good thing, I would like to keep the conversation appropriate to the E85 topic (E85 use should not have much correlation to trans TAN values).

Something to note about TAN is that it is commonly misconstrued for acidity of oil. Acidity (acid strength) is typically read on a pH scale, which is different than TAN/TBN. TAN represents the concentration/amount of acidic components in the sample. TBN provides the concentration/amount of active alkaline additives remaining. What this means is that a high TAN value can be offset by a high TBN, and not result in an acidic (and hence potentially harmful) oil. Seeing that TBN values are quite high in this engine oil, the oil shows good potential to keep an acidic situation from happening.

It is possible that using an inferior oil with fewer alkaline additives could present a problem with E85 use. However, this theory is not being tested. The use of Toyota synthetic oil seems to be working well, and the purpose of my E85 experiment is primarily to test tank bladder compatibility.

Kevin_Denver, mjoo and valde3 like this.
  3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the oil issue - my understanding is that when using E85 versus normal gasoline, the only additional worry with the oil is water dilution over time. Inevitably, there will be some dilution of the oil with fuel. As the fuel is E85, the alcohol in the oil will attract more water than gasoline. This is mostly a worry when storing the car for an extended period. I know some guys with sports cars report their oil getting milky running E85 in combination with long storage times (1 year+) in humid climates. So a precaution with the oil might be to keep the same mileage interval, but shorten the interval for time. So if it doesn't get enough miles, might change the oil every 6 months at a minimum versus one year. Obviously if you're doing 20k miles/year this wouldn't impact you as you'd change the oil before 6 months anyway.

As far as TBN goes, alcohol burns more cleanly than gasoline, so I'd expect less hydrocarbons to get in the oil and for it therefore to maintain an acceptable TBN longer (I have no data to back this up however). This is all else being equal. Online, the reason to run E85 is often to add 15lbs of boost with a turbo to a stock engine without misfires, which obviously has other effects.

#63 Kevin_Denver, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    cellculturist likes this.
  4. cellculturist

cellculturist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all, car is now at 117k miles, and it still drives great, no issues whatsoever. So that’s around 55k miles on E85 exclusively. Have never filled up with gas since adding the piggyback computer. I’m gonna say that E85 doesn’t have any noticeable effect on the bladder or any other fuel component.

I have inspection videos of the pistons and cylinder walls from the spark plug change at 100k and everything still looks new. No oil consumption either.