Long term owners mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mengoni, Mar 16, 2019 at 4:10 AM.

1. mengoni

mengoni Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 with 130,800 miles. I bought it used in Dec 2015. I even posted the best tank mpg on the dash with over 58! I haven't seen any mpg change except for seasonal. Just filled up a few hours ago and calculated 52.83 mpg.
    My question for the long term owners is have you noticed any mpg drop in the years you've had your car

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have 198k miles on our 2010 that we bought new in August 2009 and I’ve averaged around 50mpg with most of that at freeway speeds :).

There were a couple of times when it began to dip with explainable causes:
    • Egr system was plugging up
    • Hv battery was degrading
    • Winter blend of gas
    The egr circuit you can clean with the right tools, the hv battery Hybrid Automotive makes the Prolong equipment. Not much you can do about winter blend gas:cool:.

Good luck with your new to you Prius (y).

mikey_t and RMB like this.
  3. drroone

drroone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm averaging about 42 mpg and have been for a while. I have 128k on it and haven't really don't any maintenance beside oil changed. Any recommendations you'd suggest. I bought the car used and while I first got it I was up in the 48mpg area but it's definitely dropped off.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it a winter time thing, or the other factors mentioned above? Hard to know without your location being listed;).

If the driving trips are not short which hurts mpg, at the mileage you are at the egr cooler is more than likely starting to restrict:(.