1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

long term parking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by countrygirl, Apr 28, 2013.

1. countrygirl

countrygirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a couple of trips coming up where I will be leaving my prius parked at the airport/home for 1 week and then 2 weeks. Has anyone done this to theirs and was there any problem with starting the car up again when you return.

JMD likes this.
  2. prev93

prev93 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I left mine in the garage for a month without starting it and it was fine.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I left my car at an airport for 6 days and it started right up.

3TE likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, it depends on the health of your 12v battery. you could test it, but on a one year old car, it's probably fine. the worst that can happen is you would need a jump. they are usually free at the airport. it's a good idea to know ahead of time where the jump terminals are under the hood and the importance of watching the monkey doing the jump to make sure he connects pos to pos and neg to neg. otherwise, it can get very expensive.

JMD likes this.
  5. 3TE

3TE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've left mine for 3 weeks at the airport in the Florida sun. Came back and it started right up. I would make sure you drive it for 20+ miles right before you take it to the airport though. It will charge the 12v.

JMD likes this.
  6. SteadyEddy

SteadyEddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a fairly new owner of a Gen III. Where are the jump terminals under the hood? Also if it is left for long periods of time can a battery tender be hooked-up? I have had my other vehicle (07 ES350 & 04 SC430) hooked up when we left them any long periods of time. Thanks for any info

7. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can see the Power terminal under the hood fuse box and the ground terminal need to be on the other side some where.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can definitely put a battery tender on it if you're leaving it at home or etc. it's always a good idea not to let the 12v drain down.

9. SteadyEddy

SteadyEddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info. I'll look for the places as soon as I get off line. Never looked before.

10. bblak

bblak New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just returned from 1 week in Cuba. Local low temps in Ottawa ranged from -13 to -28 c. Full tank when parked, remote entry worked and started straight away. 2012 Prius at ~32k mileage.

11. pwrstick

pwrstick Junior Member

2014 prius 4 with sunroof, 2 months old and 2500 miles. Dead battery after 8 days. Didn't turn off SKS system but all lights were off.

Maybe my battery is the same quality as my windshield.

12. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd trickle charge it before going, turn off the sks, and the negative under the hood is the body of the car, I use the hood mounting hardware.

13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We parked our 2012 Gen three level III in the port parking lot for 12 days. I used the central display to turn off the SKS and it started fine when we returned. There is apparently an auto shutoff routine for the SKS that depends on days since it was last used, but I think being proactive prevents the initial high-drain period where the SKS is constantly trying to sense input.

However, with the SKS off when you re-enter the car you must touch the Toyota symbol on the back of the key fob directly to the Power button, then press the button and the brake to get the system to the "READY" state.