1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long term storage 5 months

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by EV Happy, Apr 17, 2019.

1. EV Happy

EV Happy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just heard from my Toyota dealer ... when I asked about storage for 5 months he checked it out and called me back...Told me to put it in my garage and do nothing. Said tires usually lose a lb per month and should be fine. Told me not to unhook batteries and it should be fine. I did fill it with non alcohol gas and plan on plugging it in before trying to start it. I asked if I should have someone start it once in a while and said that would be good but not necessary.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i go away for 10 weeks every winter.
    you should run the battery down until the engine comes on. i pump my tires to max sidewall to avoid flat spots, and a 12v maintainer is always a good idea. make sure you shut sks off.
    will it be in a garage?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The manual states to keep the battery at the hybrid mode SOC (so don't charge it).

You could disconnect the 12V or run the 12V battery on a trickle charger just to ensure it doesn't accidentally phantom drain itself.

Other than that, you should be fine. Put some fuel stabilizer if you don't plan on using the gas right after you return.

Does one need to inflate the tires up to a higher PSI for storage? (just remember to release the pressure when you return)

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't think so. My Miata sits for 4-6 months every winter in the garage on summer tires with normal inflation. Have never had a problem with any flat spots - I think that's a legacy feature of the old bias ply tires.

Trickle 12V charger is a good idea - I put a Battery Tender on the Miata over the winter.

5. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    5 months is nothing. Follow what dealer said.

6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bad idea. If it is run long enough to get maybe 20 minutes of operation at full engine operating temperature, OK. Just start and shut off, or start the engine and idle a few minutes, just adds moisture and maybe fuel vapor to the oil which would be vaporized off by the long run. A conventional engine with battery start would run the battery down (and damage by freezing in cold climates) with the start & shut off.