1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long time no see!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffery Merrill, May 21, 2018.

1. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, been pretty busy lately, between work and everything, things are going pretty well. Gloria is running VERY well! After many weeks of comparison, I am averaging about 42 MPGs(remember, I deliver pizza). This is almost double what my Corolla LE was getting. I thought I was getting better mileage with the Corolla but I guess not. I was filling up 2 or 3 times a week in it, and it has a 12 gallon tank. Gloria, on the other hand, has exactly a 10 gallon tank, which I actually had a chance to verify recently. I forgot to fill up after work one night then went to work the next day forgetting again to fill up. On my way back from my first run the fuel indicator was flashing madly. I stopped at the nearest station and filled up, 9.95 gallons til it popped off. Anyway, I only fill up once every 7 or 8 days now. Every one of my coworkers is jealous! I know at least two of them are looking at hybrids to see if they can find one they like.

I only have two concerns at this point. First, why do my brakes get grabby during wet weather? It doesn't happen every time it rains, just every once in a while, but if it gets grabby it will usually stay grabby til it dries up. Second, why are my tires so slippery? There is a lot of tread depth remaining and there is no unusual wear patterns, but I slip and slide, even on dry roads. When it slips, especially when I am accelerating, it looks like my car gets the hiccups and lurches a few times until I let off the gas and the traction control resets. It's really annoying.

Everything else is fantastic! Well, might have 1 other tidbit. My traction battery gauge on the MFD never gets up into the green. The only time I ever got it into the green was during a very long downhill roll, but never since then.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been a while!
    This normal. The green is really reserve space so that it has somewhere to put the energy captured when rolling down hills, for example. It likes to be at the top blue bar (6th bar) as much as possible.

valde3 and Jeffery Merrill like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What are the tires, and what's the build-date? The build-date is four-digit code on the sidewall, two digits indicating the week (1-52), and two the year. If they're getting on, the rubber will be hardening, wet-grip not as good. Somewhere between 7~10 years it'll become a factor.

Also, wet roads, particularly after a long dry spell, are just more slippery. Stating the obvious maybe, but speed limits are for dry roads, good conditions; you need to adjust driving behavior in the rain.

4. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now that, I didn't know! Great info, thanks! I was worried it might be a weak battery problem.

The tires are only 19 months old, maybe 15K miles, tops. There are no cracks or other indicators for the rubber drying out and they are always aired up to 32 PSI(checked weekly). I've been a professional driver for most of my life, so I know that the speed limits are for dry roads, and I NEVER exceed the limits by more than a few MPH and only when conditions are favorable. My coworkers like to make fun of me for my adherence to speed limits and other traffic laws, they say I am too safe and I'll never make a lot of money doing it, but it's just how I am.

I think I will look into a set of tires here soon anyway. We have a Tire Rack locally so I shouldn't have a problem finding a good set.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is too low, and may be a contributing factor.

Factory spec for the tires is 33 PSI Rear and 35 PSI Front, you can can go 1 or 2 PSI above, but check the tires often and look for even wear across the width of the tread. Adjust tire pressure accordingly.