1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long-time PC reader to maybe new owner?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Teacake, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, PriusChat!

I've been considering purchasing a higher mileage (around 150k) Prius. I've been a long-time fan of Prii; I looked at my profile and was last on here 2013! :eek:

I currently have a small sedan (Yaris iA, manual), but I can't transport anything bigger than, say, a recycling bin in it. Now that I'm a homeowner, occasionally large home and yard supplies need to be transported. That, plus the long term reliability of Prii, has brought me back here.

After a LOT of reading, I've found 3 options for sale, but I could use a bit more insight from your collective brains please.

Even though I know it's a bit of a coin toss which vehicles have EGR/oil consumption problems, I know preventive maintenance is key. I used the Toyota Owners website to check each VIN and service history.

Options:
    1) 122,000 miles, 2013 Trim 3 with solar roof package, $9,600. Local in town, one owner, but Carfax shows big gaps of 30k in routine maintenance plus it has an outstanding recall. Can most likely get price down; car hasn't been sold in 3 months. I worry 12v battery would need replacing as a result.

2) 166,000 miles, 2014 Trim 2, only $7,000. 1.5 hours away by highway. Pretty good regular maintenance, but Toyota records indicate I'd need to replace hub and bearing assembly plus the wiper motor. Would want to install backup camera.

3) 145,000 miles, 2014 Trim 2, $8,350. 2 hours away by highway. Excellent regular maintenance, but I noticed they had a PCV valve replacement within the past year. Would want to install backup camera.

I've ordered a Carista OBDII part to use with Dr. Prius app to check main battery levels.

Any and all thoughts on these options are welcome! Thank you very much in advance. (y)

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A less-aged battery is a better battery. If you can get that '13 for less than either of those '14s you'd be doing well. The '13 seems considerably overpriced compared to this group. Good luck!

Teacake likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings!

The PCV on the 14 might be an early indication of oil fouling elsewhere.
    ALL of them are over priced given the current used car market.....especially in the Bluegrass state - but the "solar" '13 is especially so.
    I'd go

If you're a longtime READER then you're looped in on all of the issues with geriatric G3s.
    I'd be tempted by the least expensive 14 and roll the dice on the hub and wiper motor issues - which may be nothing more than a greedy dealer throwing scary problems at an owner.

As always.....make sure you have a sufficient repair budget.
    Add an Oil catch can to your list of things to throw at the new car.

Best of luck...and let us know please what you wind up with!!

Teacake likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm leaning towards one of the 2014s.

Also, you could look for Prius v's (preferably 2015.. that's when they updated the frontal area to do better in the small offset crash)

Teacake likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    AND .... more cargo area - roomier. It would be like driving a cargo-container ship, after driving a Yaris.

Teacake likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    hidden information give me my 15 minutes back

#6 Grit, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Teacake likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd go with the 2013

Teacake likes this.
  8. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, everyone! I got more info from the dealer on the 2013 and it's not up to snuff.

And the 2014's have the added bonus of including safety measures for small frontal overlap IIHS tests.

A Prius V is a good suggestion, but I don't need a van at this point in time. Thank you, though. My partner has a big SUV, which is what we used for example today to pick up a window AC unit. We're not doing THAT much work to warrant owning a full pick-up truck, though.

I got waylaid by the AC installation today and dealers are closed on Sundays. The hunt continues!

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the yaris wn't hold a window a/c unit? (n)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Only as long as you keep it next to the wall:p.

Or maybe there is an inverter and then the possibilities are endless(y).

bisco and Teacake like this.
  11. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the Yaris iA - it's a sedan. Big nope. :D

bisco likes this.
  12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you drive 20K+ miles/year? If not, a Prius really doesn’t make financial sense. And with current fuel prices, 20K is probably too low.

You already have what would seem to be the ideal 2nd vehicle in your Yaris: inexpensive, reliable, efficient, and I presume paid off.

Your partner has larger vehicle for transporting home-ownership necessities. Can’t you swap cars with him/her when necessary.

13. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a great, hard-hitting question. The answer is, I confess, more of a want than a need. I do not drive a lot of miles each year, but am committed to having a vehicle that gets good mileage. Compared to my boyfriend, I frequently do activities that require more hauling of things, such as volunteer work or groceries. I'm considering doing grocery or food delivery to make up for some recent lost income (I work in the travel industry). And, as I've gotten older, the idea of a no-fuss it-just-works car that I didn't spend a boatload on is very appealing. :D

mikey_t and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let me know when you find a car like that. we need 10 year old corolla hatchbacks :p

you mightnbe better off with a lom/medium mile 2009

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's the Matrix. Or the older RAV4. Or Scion xb.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they are as reliable as a corolla, i'd go that route. better mpg's might get eaten up in repairs or worse.

17. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nothing wrong with that mindset. Not everything that counts can be counted... not everything that can be counted counts. Live your life and enjoy it. If you have the wherewithall to recognise it's not a "need" but rather a "want", then you probably deserve the to get what you want!

That being said, I'm not sure a higher mileage 3rd Gen Prius is something I would recommend unless the prospective buyer is able and willing to do their own maintenance. (you haven't said, so I'm not sure where you stand on this.) Even then, there's the issue of battery replacement. They're warranteed for 10 years. Let's say it lasts 12 or 13... that would be a good projection. That's just not something you're going to have to worry about with a non-hybrid vehicle.

mikey_t and Teacake like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if a prospective seller would let buyers have a look at the EGR pipe? This is the canary in the coal mine for EGR, and "relatively" easy to do.

FWIW, miles are as good an indicator as anything: if it's got under 100K miles, no matter, it stands a chance.

Teacake likes this.
  19. GabrielD

GabrielD Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    V
    To clean only the pipe is not enough...
    The Valve is also full of dirt, and the intake manifold too...

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I understand that: just tossing it out as something that would give insight as to the rest of the system, a 20 minute inspection in someone's driveway.