1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at 05 Prius, please advise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by YeaBuddy, Jun 11, 2012.

1. YeaBuddy

YeaBuddy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I am seaching for a Gen II Prius and I looked at one and test drove one (Private Owner) this weekend. It has 93K miles and it has been dealer maintained every 5k miles, as the Toyota website verifies. However, I noticed the digital display said it was only getting 40 mpg. I live in Philly and I was driving on a decently flat surface. Is this 40 MPG normal in aging Prii? Or is this a sign of something? Note, I did not check tire pressures and the two front tires have very little tread. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    and welcome here!

40 mpg is definitely less than '05 prius is capable off, but could be fine for certain conditions. Here is what can be resulting in these numbers:

1) old worn accessory (12V, small) battery. Engine runs extra time trying to recharge it. Costs ~ $150 to replace.
    2) low tire pressure
    3) overfilled engine oil
    4) extended use of air conditioning or heat while parked
    5) short trips of less than 5-7 miles, so engine does not warm up completely
    6) driving style with often brick accelerations and braking, or driving at excessive speeds (70+)
    7) something else i'm forgetting....

I would say Prius at 93k miles is not anywhere near being old.
    There is a lot of info here on PriusChat on gas mileage, just use the search button!

Best,
    - Alex

3. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Before I bought my father in law's 2005 Prius from him he usually got 38-40 mpg. Most of his driving was just to Walmart and back, hardly letting the engine warm up. I am averaging 52 mpg with it now. Probably something like that is going on with the Prius you are looking at.

4. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Second the style of driving suggestion. When my wife drives my '10 she'll only get like 48 mpg when i drive it i'll easily get 55 or so. We are seeing the same thing with our new used 2005 as well. driving style has a lot of impact

5. YeaBuddy

YeaBuddy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses!

6. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would reset the mpg display and take a 20 mile easy drive on flat roads below 60 mph before you buy it. If it isn't in the mid 40's you might think twice.

7. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree, but check the tire pressure and engine oil before the drive :)

-Alex