1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at 2002 Prius with 45,000 miles - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by brhillct, Apr 12, 2013.

1. brhillct

brhillct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking at a 2002 Prius with 45k miles tonight from a private seller. It was driven by an elderly man and got little use in the past year (about 25 miles every two weeks). The car has been driven in CT only, fairly flat terrain. I've read the "Who Should/Should not buy a 2001-2003 Prius" thread, which helps to prepare me for the test drive and negotiation. I have not seem too many threads about low mileage gen 1 Prius. Are there any particular concerns I should have with this vehicle. Is the age of the traction battery, in this case 11 years, more of a concern or should I be encouraged that it only has 45k miles? Thanks in advance. Can't wait to joint he Prius drivers club....

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mileage on a Gen I isn't really the major factor. Care, climate and age are the major factors to consider. The lack of use over the past year is probably the biggest detriment to this car. If it is in good shape and you can get it for a good price, I highly recommend it. I bought my 01 w/ 68000 miles on it is May of 2009. It has served my family faithfully ever since (now w/ 118,000 on it). There is a good chance the traction battery will continue excellent service since you are in CT and not a hot climate.

My opinion is that any Prius is better than no Prius.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. brhillct

brhillct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for the reply. The seller tells me that the 12v auxillary battery drains often due to non use, but I'll likely replace that. I will also have it inspected by a local dealer. He is asking $6500, pretty close to KBB private party. Edmunds has private party at $5700. If it is in good shape, sans the 12v battery, I'll probably negotiate off of the Edmunds price.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, that's funny b/c I paid $6800 for my 01 in 09 and now the 02 is worth $6500??? These things really hold their value don't they.

5. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I say buy with confidence if it looks good and the service history is there. In reality, its really hard to mess a Prius up in 45k miles. The main thing that could go wrong would be the traction battery and that's just due to age.

There are people on this site that have refurbished their entire battery for less than $300. No other car is supported online like the Prius (because it is so unique, people want to talk about it and share their knowledge).

I would replace the tranny fluid and the coolant in both coolant loops once you get it (just because both tranny fluid and anti freeze have shelf lives less than 11 years. Additionally, when fluids sit uncirculated, they tend to collect deposits when they are finally circulated.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. brhillct

brhillct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is great advice. I'll be happy to get it below $6k, which leaves me a little piece of mind if/when the traction battery goes. I'll definitely be replacing fluids and a few other of the suggested items I've found on this forum. Thanks again.

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. brhillct

brhillct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all for the input. I closed the deal with the seller at $6k and have driven my shiny used Prius about 200 miles already. I'm averaging a bit over 50 mpg, which beats by Yaris by about 8mpg. I'm thrilled with this "new" 11 year old technology.

WHCSC, usnavystgc and bwilson4web like this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm going to suggest you might want to prepare for eventual self-maintenance . . .
    • Scangauge II - in addition to being a driving aid, it has the ability to read codes and engineering data. They go on sale from time-to-time. Compared to getting a good 12V battery, less important, but it can give you insights. <wink>
    • Toyota Shop Manuals - monitor Ebay, they come available from time-to-time. New, I paid just under $300 eight years ago and every one is showing wear . . . but then I consider them good reading. <grins>
    Welcome to the club!

Bob Wilson

9. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good deal. I believe that's a decision you will not regret. I know I never regretted purchasing mine.

Welcome to the club.