1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at 2010 Prius, curious about Trim Levels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Hobbes.Tayloe, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Hobbes.Tayloe

Hobbes.Tayloe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First post, and after some research I am looking at a Gen 3 Prius, and considering the pros / cons of the different trim levels (II, III, IV and V), so I'd love to hear feedback from those (for example) that have a II if you regret or miss not having any features of 'higher' trim,,, and likewise of those that have the 'higher' trim do you really enjoy these extras? Living in NE Indiana, for example I believe I'd like the heated seats,,, and I am wondering if the improved lighting system and the 17" wheels on the IV is that much better (performance, mpg's, etc.)?

I guess another way of asking this (and we all know opinions and desires vary, based on personal preferences and situations), what feature(s) do you like and/or miss from the higher trim level? Which could you live without?

Thanks much for comments / suggestions.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 17 inch wheels will give you a firmer, more controlled ride, but at the expense of a few mpgs.

Hobbes.Tayloe likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat, a truly amazing resource to learn everything you're ever likely to need to help you enjoy your Prius. I don't need the Navigation package (my SmartPhone is far more versatile, and the maps are always up to date!). Blue-tooth might be useful, but 18 moths ago when I bought my 2009 Gen II, there was a similar year/mileage Gen II on the lot, which was very pretty (nice pale metalic green) and was equipped with Blue-tooth (and Nav), but I couldn't get my phone to sync correctly, and I found out later that I'd have to use CDs to update the Nav s/w, so I went with the Magnetic Gray, touring package (nice wheels, suspension) - I've found the suspension perfectly adequate for my style of driving, as was the suspension on my previous Toyota Corolla DX Wagon, as to the wheels, the touring package has the 16" wheels, but I was recommended to get a set of standard 15" steel rims (means there will be a much wider selection of tyres) for use in the winter for my snow-tyres. Heated seats? Well, that's another personal choice, I find it's easier to just switch to long-underwear! (…winter draws on! ;)) Also, leather upholstery is nice, but can be chilly in the cold weather, and tends to be a bit slippy and slidey, but that's just my opinion! Oh, and mine came with HID headlamps, and also foglamps. The fog's I've not really used , so far, but I really like the HIDs, great penetration and sharp cut-off! …er, that's it! I'm sure others will voice their opinions! - hope this helps - Wil

Hobbes.Tayloe likes this.
  4. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2012 four trim and I love the soft tex leather and the integrated backup camera. My favorite is the power seat. The display audio is also very nice, but most of the 2012 and newer have that even on the 2 I think. The four also has an upgraded JBL stereo, which is pretty cool. There is some variation though. If you are really looking at 2010 only none of them will have the power seat and I think the JBL might be earlier, like in the three. Also the backup camera if you don't have nav is in the mirror. Those things changed in 2012.

I definitely recommend the power seat and I like the soft tex. the backup camera is an absolute must for me but some people don't need it. I suck at driving in reverse. Don't much care about nav. I also like the home link mirror but wouldn't pay extra for it.

Hobbes.Tayloe and WilDavis like this.
  5. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I bought a new 2011 Prius 2, and in late 2013 I sold it and bought an Avalon hybrid, I think that if I had spent the extra dough on a 4 or 5, I might still be driving a Prius.
    Bear in mind there are differences in content between the model years 2011 and 2012,(the 2012 was a refresh) so for example if you want a power seat you have to step up to at least the 2012 model year 4 or 5.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat! Here's a few things to keep in mind as starters before we get into equipment.

1. The 2010-2011 models used roman numerals as you've used. II through to V. The 2012-2015 models use English words. Two, Three, Four and Five
    2. There's a difference between the 2010-2011 LED low beam headlights and the 2012-2015 LED low beam headlights in terms of design. The 2010-2011 used two projectors and a LED floodlamp above the projectors to illuminate the near field. The 2012-2015 models forego the LED floodlamp as the two projectors produce enough light near and far. They also include a LED parking light. All V/Five models have headlight washers (useful in the winter)
    3. The V with the 17" alloys have one more difference under the skin compared to the 15" bretheren. Those models have a different electronic power steering system and the steering ratio is quicker than the other models. What this means is that at low speeds, you don't have to turn the steering wheel as much to go around the corner as you would if you had the 15" wheels.
    4. Heated seats are available on IV or higher. They only came on models with leather (or SofTex in 2012-2015 models).
    5. There are 3 different types of navigation systems to be aware of - DVD-Based 7" LCD screen (2010-2011), Flash-based 6.1" Display Audio System made by a 3rd party (2012-2015 Three, Four, Five) and Hard-Drive-Based 7" high resolution LCD screen (optional on 2012-2015 Four and Five). If you've owned a Toyota with navigation before, you'll be familiar with the DVD-based and HDD-based units. The flash-based unit was a new, lower cost option with a Garmin-like interface.
    6. Backup camera was only available on cars with navigation for 2010-2011 in the U.S. I believe it was made standard equipment for 2012.
    7. If you want bluetooth audio streaming, you have to get navigation on the 2010-2011 models. Certain models came with USB/iPod but they were built after Sept 2009 I believe. Those of us who bought early had no USB/iPod connectivity.

Power lumbar support (but still manual seat adjustment) also came with the leather seats (2010-2011). Full power driver's seat comes with the SofTex (2012-2015).

I have the Technology Package in Canada which is like the IV with the Solar Roof and AT Package in the U.S. (but no LED headlights or 17" alloys). I do love the technology and features that come with it. The big ticket items like the solar panel moonroof to cool the car in the summer, the radar cruise to make highway driving easier and the Pre-Collision System (which tightens the front seatbelts and prime the brakes) are features I enjoy. (I've had the PCS seatbelts activate when people cut a little too close front of me and I suddenly release the accelerator and touch the brakes - the car treats it like an emergency and tightens the seatbelts preemptively. You don't even notice it until the belt releases, it's that quick). Intelligent Park Assist is nice but for me, it's just a toy to show people when they first sit in the car. It's a "Wow" factor.

You also get some nice Lexus touches like "premium lined pillars" (basically the A and B pillars are lined in felt instead of just plain hard scratchy plastic), soft-glow LED footwell lighting (full on brightness when you're in Park, dimmed in Drive), water repellent front door windows (great if you live in an area that gets rain) and the U.S. models have a plasmacluster ionizer air purifier.

Long story short, you make a list of what items you must have and start from that trim level. Then you decide what extras you would like to have if the car was equipped with it. You like heated seats, so you're starting with a IV. I would try both the cloth and leather seats and see which feels more comfortable to you. You could always add heated seats in the aftermarket if you decide you don't need all the features on the IV. The difference between the II and III is the addition of the JBL 8-speaker audio w/ 6-CD Changer and satellite radio on the III. The II only has a 6-speaker single CD headunit with satellite radio pre-wiring (no receiver).