1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at a 2015 PIP for sale

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Mike J 34208, May 25, 2020.

1. Mike J 34208

Mike J 34208 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Well I don't have one for sale...I am looking at one for sale...can't change the title.

My 2010 standard Prius is on its last legs. Looking at a number of possible replacements and see a 2015 PIP advanced for $17k with only 37k miles. I apparently would be looking at the same risks and issues my 2010 had (e.g., EGR, hybrid battery life, and head gasket). I can exhaust the full EV mode on daily commutes and utilize it exclusively on weekends but will have lots of highway miles.

What is the best PIP scenario of city vs hwy? How much more of a battery replacement costs would I see if and when that went down? How are PIP versions doing compared to standard versions when it comes to hybrid battery life and engine life? Trying to plan my next 120,000 miles...

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry. I hadn't noticed this till just now.

Here's one close to you (and me). I've bought five Prii from Todd. Great guy.
    Lutz FL - 2015 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid Advanced Leather Heated P. Seat Pwr Lumbar Navigation HUD Camera 37k Miles - Car for Sale - Tampa Hybrids Inc.

PiP is a small market segment compared to the regular Prius. But they seem to be holding up very well. I just read a thread from a guy who recently took a 5k mile round trip on his 2013 PiP which has about 190,000 miles on it.

I've only heard of a couple battery failures so far. If you have to replace it with a new one and it's out of warranty, it'll be really expensive. Better to try to find one from a wreck if you can. All the accounts I've read, though, say the batteries are holding up very well. Lots of comments here about people still getting EPA or better range with older PiPs. I traded my '13 PiP on a Prime about 14 months ago. It was still running great at about 85k miles.

3. Jordanhiggins2002

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thought on prime vs your 15

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One cannot eliminate risk...BUT....

The EGR problem can be addressed through proper maintenance - EGR cleaning is discussed in great detail in this forum and it's one of the few maintenance items that are not covered by the warranty and maintenance guide.

With proper maintenance - head gasket failure is a very low risk problem, most especially with the Pip because of the reduced engine duty cycle.
    Traction battery failures are a more or less ten year thing and if you live in certain areas, hybrid components are covered by an enhanced warranty. CARB is the phrase that pays here.

Pips are also more apt to have been adult driven - at least during those formative first few years.
    If you can find a clean one-owner example with a verifiable pedigree, it's probably one of the better used car values.

YMMV.....

Good Luck!

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine was a '13. (It's in my signature.) Same car, though. The Prime is a hundred times better. My best tank of gas on the PiP was about 1,100 miles iirc. Last tank on the Prime was over 3,500 miles. Prime has, among other things, more EV power, more EV range, more comfort, more quiet, better handling, better looks if that's important. I liked my PiP, but I'm really glad I got the Prime. Best car I've ever owned.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mike?