1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at a Used 2010 Prius - Advice on what to check?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 72fordgts, May 17, 2011.

1. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I am going to look at a used 2010 Prius tomorrow. They have been very difficult to find lately with high gas prices they sell fast. The one I found has a little more milage than I wanted, about 56,000 km's (34800 miles), which means the bumper to bumper warranty is almost up.

It is a one owner car, always dealer maintained, no warranty repairs, and mostly used as a highway commuter car (which is why it has the high mileage). I believe they have owned the car for about 1.5 years. The only reason they are selling the car has become too small for their growing family. The car has the option package that includes the upgraded stereo system.

What do the Prius experts recommend I check on these cars for problem areas? I am mechanically inclined and have always serviced and repaired my own vehicles. I also have purchased many cars in the past, but most of my prior cars I had a fairly extensive knowledge on what the problem areas were. I don't have much knowledge on the Prius, but I am learning.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. wstevensiv

wstevensiv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Honestly, take it to a different toyota dealer and see what they think...thats what I would do. Even the dealer they used would be helpful as long as they arent trying to sell you a different car.

I do not know what could be wrong with it at this age, especially if its been dealer maintained and nothing sticks out in the car's history.

alternatively, i bought my 2010 new about 2 months ago with 0% financing, you might just check and see if there are any left...i doubt it but it might be worth a try!

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Carfax. And that the price is right, it seems some dealers are selling a used one like your talking about for the same price as what i paid new.

4. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would buying an extended warranty give you more peace of mind?

5. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    35,000 miles is really high for a 1.5 year old car! Check tires and brake systems as the tires are probably nearly gone. Can this dealer produce all the service records? There should have been at least 3 oil changes and PM every 5000 miles. Dang, someone must have been driving it night and day!

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got 41,000 miles in almost two years on mine. i don't drive that much. Just to work and back and 1-3 1,000 mile trips a year. I still have at least 10-20k left on my tires, brakes are like new. Mostly highway driving. like i was saying i hope the dealer price is fair, i hope the price is 19k or less. it looks like alot of dealers are asking 21-22k for cars like mine and that is just wrong.

7. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have never owned a car new enough to have a warranty, so I am not THAT worried about the warranty. Does Toyota sell extended warranty on a used cars being sold privately? Not sure if I'd buy it anyway, I guess I am just a little apprehensive with such a hi-tech car (or current car is a basic Civic - doesn't even have VTEC).

The car is being sold privately, and is priced a little cheaper than comparable EX-rentals with similar mileage that dealers have been selling. He claims to have all the service records. At the price he is asking, it'd be about $10 grand cheaper than buying a brand new one (once you factor taxes etc).

It has two sets of wheels and tires, one winter, one all season. I am not expecting the tires to be great, but atleast with two sets the wear should be better.

We really need to replace our Civic, it's just too bad the fuel prices have cause the Prius to have crazy demand. We'd still buy a Prius if the fuel prices were half of what they are now.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a great deal!

9. echocomm

echocomm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I commute 80miles daily and did 5000 miles in 2 1/2 months.

10. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks for all the input. I made a deal with the guy today, and will pick it up next week.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Little late, but you ought to be getting every 6 mo service receipt and any other things done to the car. No exceptions.

I'd also have it thoroughly inspected only at Toyota. Just pay the $150 USD and have it done.

More questions - does he have money from you? At any rate, the car should not be being driven at all. Note the mileage, get the VIN, run the history.

You've maintained your cars, but can you get underneath that thing to thoroughly inspect the undercarriage?

12. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    He's giving me all the service receipts, which was all done through Toyota. Checked out by Toyota, and no problems found. No accidents either found.

13. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it all checks out to your satisfaction, this is when you rely on the brand. Toyota has the longest experience in hybrid systems and one of the main reasons I purchased a Prius. Add to that, their reliable power plant (ICE) and drive train. How were the interiors...seats worn or maybe a dog was transported without a carrier?

I'd say if you like it and you've done all your homework, go for it!

14. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much is this car ?