1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at picking up a used Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ddomin, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ddomin

ddomin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

I'm Danny and I'm really considering picking up a used Prius in the 07-09 range (based on what I can afford). I'm actually looking into trading in my 2006 Pontiac GTO and at one dealer I might actually get a straight trade and that would be wonderful. The GTO has been a great car, but I've only put 12000 miles on her in 5 years and I can't enjoy her to the fullest because I am a master's student now and can't afford the insurance, premium gas, and expensive replacement parts. For being a 2 ton 400hp behemoth I managed to get 29mpg per tank. Anyway...

This Prius I hunted down, is a CPO 08 with 42k miles. The dealer has been sitting on it for almost 6 months now and it has had a small accident. These are things that will hopefully get me to walk out with the car for ~15.5k otd (includign everything). However, my concern is for the battery. Will the hybrid battery see a significant negative impact (or any negative impact at all) from sitting on the dealer lot for 6 months?

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It shouldn't affect the battery to sit as long as the 12V battery has been kept up. From everything I've read or heard, These batteries have a very slow discharge rate when sitting. It should be fine. Additionally, you have an 8yr/100,000 mile warranty on hybrid components so that leaves 58k or 4yrs (approx) left. Chances are, if there is a problem, it would show up soon. If not, you could get many more years beyond the warranty. I have an '01 that I bought from the estate of an elderly gentleman who passed away. I know this car sat for months (at least 4) but it was started regularly (I'm guessing weekly) and driven periodically. Which I'm guessing would be about what happened at the dealer. I have had it for almost 4 yrs now and no issues. Thats a Gen I (known battery corrosion issues) This is a Gen II with better batteries. I don't think I'd be afraid to get it. The batteries are not as big of a deal as most people think. They have proven very reliable.