1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at Used Prius, Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by belkyrnn, Mar 14, 2016.

1. belkyrnn

belkyrnn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello all. I been wanting to jump into Hybrid for long time and I'm ready to do it as I have long commute to work (1 hour one way) on daily basis and my current car is approaching end of life (285k miles with bunch of issues). I'm currently looking for used Prius to buy and there's 3 Prius for sale near me (dealership) and any advice would be helpful. All of those 3 is close in price, mileage, etc.

Prius #1: 2010 Prius II, 96k miles for $10k
    Prius #2 2010 Prius III (I think as it have Nav?), 76k miles for $12k
    Prius #3 2012 Prius Three, not III, 100k miles for $12k

Is #2 better as it have lower mileage or #3 would be better route as t's more newer? Or go with cheaper option of #1?

All have clean Carfax records.

Thanks!

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! I was in almost exactly the same position as you two years ago, and traded my 1993 Corolla DX Wagon (292,000 miles) for my current 2009 Gen II Prius (88,000 miles at that time). I've posted many stories of all the things I've done, and fun I'm having with this car, and rather than bore you with all the tedious detail, I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. You've found the perfect place to learn all you're ever likely to need to know about everything Prius related.

Looking at your options, I think I'd go with #1. Two years ago, I had the choice of two Prii, they were about the same mileage and price, and the other one had Nav, but wasn't touring, I thought I preferred the pale green colour of the other (the one I eventually chose is Magnetic Gray), but the one I chose has the touring package, and HID headlights and fogs! I bought the extended warranty with mine, you might consider doing the same. Good luck, and welcome again to PriusChat! - Wil

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    couple questions: how long/miles do you plan to keep it? how many miles per year? who does your maintenance? hybrid maintenance won't be as simple as gasser over the long haul.

4. belkyrnn

belkyrnn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I plan to keep it for long haul like I did with my current car. My average miles per year is around 36k, and I usually use local business for maintenance (AutoWhiz).

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With your usage, I wouldn't bother with #2 because you'll make up that mileage difference in a year. All things being equal, you'll spend $2000 for an extra year of service versus option #1.

Since you plan to go the distance, let's assume you go 300k miles with option #1 (300k - 100k) / 36k a year = 5.5 years. Assume an 11 year old Prius with 300k miles is worth $2000. ($10000 - $2000) / 5.5 = about $1500. You'll spend $1500 a year for option #1. Thus, financially, it doesn't make sense to go with #2 for an extra year of service for $2000.

Now that #2 is off the table, should you get #1 or #3? That's pretty much subjective. The 2012 will likely be more reliable just because it is newer. Is it $2000 more reliable? Probably not. But it does have more options like Nav, back up camera, and 3 door sks. What are these options worth to you?

For me, it's all about the money, I'd choose #1. Stock Nav is garbage, I can live without a backup camera and 1 door sks is fine.

6. belkyrnn

belkyrnn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for information, that's very helpful. Before your response, I did call the car dealership that had option #2, and ended up they already sent it off to auction since engine issue just come up with it. However, they just got 2011 Prius Two with 91k miles for $11k. So, now my decision got harder as all 3 is very close in mileage.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what kind of hybrid repair experience do they have? what big ticket items did you replace/repair on your current vehicle? are you prepared for some multi thousand dollar repairs over the next 200k? if so, i don't think it matters which one you buy. test drive and buy the one you like the most. all the best!(y)

8. belkyrnn

belkyrnn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went and test drive #1 and #3 today and decided to go with #1 because I got better deal out of it than #3. So, yay I'm now Prius owner!

Thank all for your helps and feedback!

mmmodem and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

10. belkyrnn

belkyrnn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Umm, from doing more research. I think dealership got model confused as my new Prius have leather with heat, auto-dim rearview mirror, illuminated entry, bluetooth, CD changer, XM Sat radio, etc so I think it's really Prius IV not II. So, I guess I got good deal with it. :)

Kcdaniels and WilDavis like this.