1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for a GPS with hands free Bluetooth for iPhone.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AllenZ, Jul 13, 2014.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Looking for a GPS for my 2010 II, also looking for hands free Bluetooth for iPhone. Any device with both features combined exist?
    Thanks!

2. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Well I mean any GPS will work in your Prius.
    As far as Bluetooth, again any Bluetooth will work. If your wanting Bluetooth to transmit the GPS audio, your going to need one that links to 2 phones (or connections) and has A2DP features. Mine is a plantronics m165 but there are lots.

3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I mean, I want a GPS unit which can also serve as a Bluetooth hands free unit with speakers, so I can receive calls hands free. I have iPhone 5 and my wife has iPhone 4

4. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd never hesitate to go with Garmin.

This page has a list of Bluetooth-enabled GPS models for you to choose. The nuvi 2597 is listed around $200 and looks like it does what you want -- but if your budget is higher or lower, take a look at the others on the page.

AllenZ likes this.
  5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Garmin. I use it on a motorcycle, and it (Zumo 600) connects to two devices. I connect it to the iPhone and to a BT dongle so I can get music/directions wirelessly. It works with the phone, but I only really use it to know someone is trying to call me. The dongle is in my suit and the mic for the remote phone is on the dongle, not the earpiece.

Not sure why you're asking...or does your year Prius not come with BT for phones?

6. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2010 model II did not. You could get it as a port option, otherwise you had to step up to the III to get it.

7. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks! Ordered
    nüvi® 2597LMT on amazon.

robertk328 likes this.
  8. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    side question, what mount are you using for your Garmin on your bike? I've been wanting to have one on mine, but I've never asked anyone who's used one their recommendation.

Sorry, I know it's a Prius chat, I just have to know this while we're on the topic.

10. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Zumo came with a motorcycle mount. Like the car mount except everything is water-resistant. Had to be hard-wired to the power system. I used a double-stick thing and a repurposed bungee cord to make a safety lanyard so if it popped out of the cradle, it'd not bounce down the highway.

Unless things changed, I think all the Zumos have "contactless" connections. The cradle has metal nubs that line up with metal plates on the unit. When seated, everything is hooked up and effectively protected from water intrusion.

11. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Agreed. Even the most expensive Garmin you can buy will still be tremendously cheaper and tons more useful/easier to use then any head unit you can buy.